First Post; Hope Your Can Assist Me.

Hi,

I'm looking to build my 2nd aquarium in the near future and looking for advise, suggestions, and common sense. . .

I would like to build a 150 gallon freshwater planted tank (I currently have a 45 gallon,) but am a little overwhelmed but all the choices out there.

The jury is fairly certain it will be in the Iwagumi style, with Dragon Stone, and maybe 4-5 types of plants.  I do know that I like the idea of a "current," to help with filtration, surface aggitation, and to give the fish some resistance to swim against.

The first questions are how do you decide what is the best set-up for you? 

ie: 

Tank: Type, Make, Dimensions, etc

Filtration: Canister, HOB, Sponge, Combination

Lighting: I honestly don't even know where to start with this. . .

CO2: What would be the appropriate system/set-up

Apologies, I didn't mean to overwhelm on my first posting. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi @GPounda, welcome to the forum! 

These are all good things to consider and as you might already know these choices are very objective so the only thing most of us can do is tell you how WE would approach this. 

Tank: This is a big thing and a BUDGET thing for most. This depends on how much you can spend on something. Aqueon makes 150 gallon tanks and might be the most affordable -never had a big one but I've run several Aqueon tanks and have never had an issue with them - but if you want a real show tank you might be disappointed by their finish. I recently had a large tank custom made by Custom Aquariums but this can get pricey - however you can pick your own dimensions and features. Then there are others that say an acrylic tank is good for larger tanks which is another ballpark (have zero experience there). You can also consider going used but when you do that you must consider you: might have to reseal a tank or anticpate that you might have leaks now or in the future. 

So tell us about your thoughts here, do you have a budget or ideas on where you want to start? 

Filtration: Canister is quietest and efficient, will also create some flow - however most who have them hate cleaning them- but I hear the upside is that doesn't have to happen very often - of course this can depend on your bio load. These are always good options for bigger tanks but they are expensive! HOB (A personal fave of mine) creates flow and filters well (and you can "hot rod" them, meaning put your own filter material in most of them and they are pretty easy to clean but frequency will on the tank's bio load and detrius, I clean mine every week. With a good HOB I consider only those that don't have to be primed to run (meaning if the power goes out it will resume without me needing to be in the room when it comes back on again- you have to fill them with water because they often empty when the power goes out and if you're not there to do it it can burn out the motor). Sponges are also AWESOME but they don't create any flow (though Aquarium Coop seems to be having good success with the Easy Flow system for sponges to add flow). The bottom feeders and shrimp love them, you can buy pretty big sponges and they handle large tanks well. I personally use HOB and sponges and love the combo.

If you go with lower flow options you can always consider a wave maker that has adjustible flow but it is yet another expense. 

Lighting: IMO, you don't need to go fancy. I've had super expensive and super cheap lights and gotten good results out of all of them. What I do recommend is to make sure you can turn up/down the light (similar to the Aquarium Co-op lights). Some people love app driven things if that's your jam do it. I use old fashioned plug in timers and have lights that just turn on and off but have the brightness memorized. The question you have to ask yourself is: What do you want out of the lighting on your tank. You want effects? The ability to turn on/off colors? Ramp ups/downs? Or just on/off? Once you know the features you want you go from there. 

I can't speak to CO2. I run my tanks with "easy" plants and don't need it. But others can chime in if you have specific questions. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

I think there’s one step before the information from @xXInkedPhoenixX . What fish do you want to keep. What do you like. Is there something that gets a hold of you. Everything depends on that. Or do you want to be an aquatic gardener and just use fish for that. That decision is everything. If you want 30 Pygmy corys, or shell dwellers or just an immaculate tank with lots of color and a few fish. Figure that part out first. We have people here that can help with anything. 

• Like 2

Turns out I’m kind of in your shoes a bit right now. I picked up a 45g on impulse. For cheap. Without figuring out what I wanted first. Turns out it’s not big enough. I’d have been better to have bought a much bigger tank. So, really, figure out what you want first 

That really IS the question, eh!  My wife wants a Cyclid tank while I want a planted tank with schools of fish - so I guess we're having a Cyclid tank!!! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@xXInkedPhoenixX - great questions.

Tanks, I'm willing to spend what is needed to do it right the first time; we're close to Canada so I can take advantage of the exchange rate on a better tank than I likely can find in rural Vermont.

Lighting, I want a lightiong system that will give me suffient light for the plants to grow, tank will be in the basement.  Hopefully light that will give me the much desired "shimmer,' but a strategically placed spot light might do that.

Filtration, I am at a complete loss, and utterly confused on the subject after hours of YouTube videos.

Plants, I'm 99% certain I'm going with the following:

Eleoclaris Parvula Mini

Rotila sp H'ra

Rotila Najenshan

Limnophilia sp Vietman

which leads me back to CO2 question

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I understand the confusion. Honestly, I think @Tony s is right in this case. What do you want to keep? Then you can build the tank around that. What Tony says is valid. If you build a tank and ultimately can't keep what you want to then it's all a moot point. Though since you seem interested in plants and CO2 I'm willing to bet that you're wanting smaller fish. I'd advise you to peruse through this journal, this member has award winning tanks and they are lovely: 

Miller's Journal

• Like 2

On 7/27/2024 at 6:03 PM, GPounda said:

My wife wants a Cyclid tank while I want a planted tank with schools of fish - so I guess we're having a Cyclid tank!!! 😄

You could very easily do both. I’m assuming you have relatively soft water up there. There are a ton of dwarf cichlids you could have. All matter of apistogramma, nannacara anomala, laetacara curviceps. And lots of others. Angels are also cichlids. And Bolivian rams. Or with a big enough tank, electric blue acara are stunning. Then you could fill in with the school of your choice. Making sure they’re large enough to go with your cichlids. Just maybe let her choose the cichlids to keep her involved in the project. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

@Tony s - I was under the impression that Cyclids, other than Angels, do not work well with other species or plants, or is that just Malawi?  I'm intrigued, tell me more, please.

I will say, I don't want to get complicated with food types, if that makes sense.

Edited by GPounda
  • Like 1

African cichlids can be very aggressive. Most are very beautiful as well. But there are a whole range of South American cichlids to choose from. Lots are small. Less than 5”. Most prefer soft water. I assume if you’re by Canada and in Vermont you also have soft water. Makes an easy match. African cichlids need very hard water. 

if you’re wife likes the big fish. Lots of those from South America as well. Including oscars, severums. Blue acaras. Discus. I’m kind of intimidated by the discus. They need a ton of care. But unbelievable colors. I’m not endorsing this site. But imperialtropicals.com has a great list of both African and South American cichlids. You can find anything from peaceful to very aggressive. Most of the dwarf cichlids are relatively peaceful 

Posted (edited)

I had no idea, thank you.  She loves the colour of the African Cyclids.

Personally I prefer a healthy school of Tiger and Cherry Barbs with my Angel fish.

As for water, we are on a well, with a softener system.

I will definately check out the page you do not endorse!!!

Edited by GPounda
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2024 at 10:00 PM, GPounda said:

Personally I prefer a healthy school of Tiger and Cherry Barbs with my Angel fish.

Not sure the tigers and angels are a fit. Tigers can be very nippy. But cherry barbs and others would be great. Using your system, you could look at geaphagus with your angels. And supplementing with a tetra school.

or bypass the softener and go for lake Malawian mbuna or even haps. YouTuber cichlid brothers or Ben ochart have really good display tanks on both types of cichlids

yeah, we’re on a well also and softener. But have too much iron in the water still. I actually have to figure out a better way to use my water. The easier things are the better job we’re going to do. 

Well, if they”re working together now. It may work. Every tank is different. Just keep an eye out for aggression. Even angels can be very aggressive when they pair off and start trying to lay eggs. I have a really mean male marble I had to move to a breeding tank with his mate. He kept everybody else in one corner of a 75g. But he was okay when not breeding. 

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2024 at 10:00 PM, GPounda said:

I had no idea, thank you.  She loves the colour of the African Cyclids.

I will definately check out the page you do not endorse!!!

I have that, a great school of tiger barbs and a school of cherry barbs.  The sheer activity is great.  My Tiger Barbs dug up a root tab for some reason picking at it dreading the possible algae bloom that's forthcoming.

• Love 1

On 7/27/2024 at 2:39 PM, GPounda said:

Hi,

I'm looking to build my 2nd aquarium in the near future and looking for advise, suggestions, and common sense. . .

I would like to build a 150 gallon freshwater planted tank (I currently have a 45 gallon,) but am a little overwhelmed but all the choices out there.

The jury is fairly certain it will be in the Iwagumi style, with Dragon Stone, and maybe 4-5 types of plants.  I do know that I like the idea of a "current," to help with filtration, surface aggitation, and to give the fish some resistance to swim against.

The first questions are how do you decide what is the best set-up for you? 

ie: 

Tank: Type, Make, Dimensions, etc

Filtration: Canister, HOB, Sponge, Combination

Lighting: I honestly don't even know where to start with this. . .

CO2: What would be the appropriate system/set-up

Apologies, I didn't mean to overwhelm on my first posting. LOL

What’s your budget?

On 7/28/2024 at 8:15 AM, GPounda said:

@Tony s, personally I've never had an issue - 5 Angels, and 10 Tiger's, 10 Cherry's, and 2 Rainbow Sharks, among others. . .

452585410_470904242396949_1649357775398950615_n.jpg

I love Tiger Barbs have a large school of them and a school of Cherries, I have a few black rubies that school with the Tigers lol.

On 7/29/2024 at 3:43 PM, GPounda said:

@Mmiller2001 - that's a very nice set up, but I want to do a planted tank - that seems more focused on salt-water.

I have one and use it for fresh water, perfect dimensions. This scape is still being worked on but gives a sense of what is possible.

IMG_0414.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpegThey even have Affirm so 150 a month and spent what I saved for the tank on top tier lights.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Love 1