Filter Optimization Techniques

DaveSamsell

just the usual way for me removing cartridges and plastic bio balls and  jamming filter foam or matrix anywhere it will fit.i dont think ive had a filter that i would be happy with out of the box yet. or I have a sponge filter with a power head in one of my tanks does it still count if the sponge was to slow the flow from the powerhead  down?

10 hours ago, Fishoutawater said:

just the usual way for me removing cartridges and plastic bio balls and  jamming filter foam or matrix anywhere it will fit.i dont think ive had a filter that i would be happy with out of the box yet. or I have a sponge filter with a power head in one of my tanks does it still count if the sponge was to slow the flow from the powerhead  down?

There are many ways of "optimization" .  I run a few HOB filters, with varied amounts of coarse to finer sponges, with pre-filters, on the in-takes.  The additional surface area is wonderful.  Everyone has their own, specific ideas.  😊

In my aquaclear I took out carbon and added a bag of lava rock as additional bio media I can easily move to a new tank. I used that in my fluval flex when I set it up, and put it where the carbon bag was so both tanks now have spare bio media if I need to put it in a new filter somewhere.

Just picked up a Fluval 307 for my living room display tank and replaced the media.

I started by keeping the sponges provided by Fluval and then throwing out the rest (bio rings, carbon, etc.).

I then replaced the missing media with coarse sponge from Aquarium co-op and Seachem Matrix

I also threw a pre-filter sponge on the intake.

53 minutes ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

I figure BB need surface area and oxygen so when hot rodding I like to use bio balls and add an air stone to bubble under them maxing oxygen and increasing flow. Sort of like a pseudo ziss filter.

Likewise except I used a bag of ceramic rings.

• Thanks 1