Ich or am I overthinking?

maspohno

Hey everyone!

I secured myself some picta guppies and planned to start a journal on them tomorrow. I came home tonight and as i fed them I white dots on one of my females.

I took the best picture I could and attached it here. 

Any help/advice/confirmation would be appreciated! 

I've already set the heater to 80 for the time being.

Thank you!

IMG_4568.jpeg

That's not ich are the whites  spots raised do they have a fuzzy appearance are they eating ok any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food sunken belly @maspohno

After one night, the number of spots stayed the same and did not spread to any other fish or anywhere else on her body.

@Colu @Whitecloud09 She's been pretty active at feeding time (this morning and last night) and does not show any sign of struggle (breathing and swimming normally)

@Cory I'm picking up some API Aquarium Salt today to help boost the slime coat and provide some additional minerals to the water column for these guys. I remember in your recent live stream you mentioning the ratio for adding salt, but can't seem to remember if it was 1 table spoon per 10 gallons or 1 tea spoon per 10 gallons. If anyone can confirm that would be awesome! 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 1:55 PM, maspohno said:

After one night, the number of spots stayed the same and did not spread to any other fish or anywhere else on her body.

@Colu @Whitecloud09 She's been pretty active at feeding time (this morning and last night) and does not show any sign of struggle (breathing and swimming normally)

@Cory I'm picking up some API Aquarium Salt today to help boost the slime coat and provide some additional minerals to the water column for these guys. I remember in your recent live stream you mentioning the ratio for adding salt, but can't seem to remember if it was 1 table spoon per 10 gallons or 1 tea spoon per 10 gallons. If anyone can confirm that would be awesome! 

Use a table spoon when dosing salt 

• Like 1

• Administrators

@maspohno From what you've heard me say, I don't use aquarium salt, I use marine salt at 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons. It's mostly for the minerals that livebearers want. Aquarium salt is just salt which doesn't have the extra mienrals. The theory being improving the overall water quality, allows their bodies a better chance to deal with whatever is ailing them.

@Cory Ahhh okay thank you for confirming! I've spent a good amount of today reading up on aquarium salt treatment. Hopefully my val and dwarf sag will be okay. When I get home I plan to dose 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons and observe for a week. 

• Like 1