Stand vs tank measurements

Baloo

I know this might be a redundant topic, but I need a voice of reality (either way) to settle this unease I have, before I set it up...

We know that inter-manufacturer dimensions for aquarium stands and aquariums are often a razor-thin margin, right?  I bought Aqueon's 60 breeder, and then bought Top Fin's 55-75 stand.  I (maybe stupidly?) assumed that since they were both 4 feet in length, it would be good. 

But of course the tank, from bottom rim edge to rim edge, is 0.3 inches longer then the stand's length.  The glass itself is, indeed, 48 inches.  But will 3.8 millimeters of rim overhang on each side be a problem? 

It seems like on other forums, some say that it is absolutely bad (lack of support > warp > LEAK!), and you have to put a board underneath it that runs rim edge to rim edge.  Others say that nah, it's fine - as long as the glass corners are supported, minute overhangs won't cause failure.  I don't quite understand from the perspective of the tank's construction, so...help, please!

ACO forum.jpg

ACO forum 2.jpg

In my experience, any aquarium not supported by the frame itself, is a good candidate for a leak. Always cheaper to get a new stand than to replace carpet or flooring from 60 gallons of water. 

I think 3 tenths of an inch on both ends is not going to be an issue. The banding on the bottom should be an inch and a half. The majority of the brace is supported just fine. 

• Like 2

I have never made my stands, not have some wiggle room in all 4 directions, I am not going to have overhang on a banded tank.  But I also have built almost all of my aquarium furniture custom for my tanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 1:45 PM, T. Payne said:

Always cheaper to get a new stand than to replace carpet or flooring from 60 gallons of water. 

Good point.

On 6/26/2024 at 1:50 PM, Tony s said:

The majority of the brace is supported just fine. 

I would think so, too.

On 6/26/2024 at 3:18 PM, Baloo said:

will 3.8 millimeters of rim overhang on each side be a problem? 

.15" on a side is virtually nothing.  I would think you are safe. If you have 48" of glass sitting on 48" of stand, the aquarium's weight is fully supported. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 1:54 PM, Tony s said:

Nothing like starting off on opposing views 😂

Right??  This has cleared up...nothing.  Ha!

On 6/27/2024 at 9:51 AM, Tanked said:

.15" on a side is virtually nothing.  I would think you are safe. If you have 48" of glass sitting on 48" of stand, the aquarium's weight is fully supported. 

It seems like it to me, too!  Are the rims designed to support weight in the corners, too, or?  I know the center brace (top and bottom) is for structural integrity, but it is just unclear to me how much the very edges contribute to that... 😐

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2024 at 11:51 AM, Baloo said:

Right??  This has cleared up...nothing.  Ha!

It seems like it to me, too!  Are the rims designed to support weight in the corners, too, or?  I know the center brace (top and bottom) is for structural integrity, but it is just unclear to me how much the very edges contribute to that... 😐

TBMK

The rim offers support against the outward water pressure against the glass.  Water pressure on the aquarium bottom is greater than near the surface and pressure on the long side is greater than the narrow side.  I have a 55 gallon curb find in the basement with a missing center brace.  When filled, the aquarium bulges just over 1" wider in the middle.  The narrow sides do not change. Aligned vertically, (downward pressure) the glass is quite strong.  The flat bottom glass panel is not.  The frame supports the bottom panel.  This is why the aquarium needs to be on a flat surface in order to keep the pressure on the bottom evenly distributed.

Your 60 and my 75 have the same footprint and might use the same frames. As far as I know, top and bottom frames are identical.  My frame is 25mm wide before the indent. I'm thinking Your frame might have another 20mm of plastic supporting that 3.8mm. overhang.

On 6/27/2024 at 10:42 AM, Tanked said:

TBMK

The rim offers support against the outward water pressure against the glass.  Water pressure on the aquarium bottom is greater than near the surface and pressure on the long side is greater than the narrow side.  I have a 55 gallon curb find in the basement with a missing center brace.  When filled, the aquarium bulges just over 1" wider in the middle.  The narrow sides do not change. Aligned vertically, (downward pressure) the glass is quite strong.  The flat bottom glass panel is not.  The frame supports the bottom panel.  This is why the aquarium needs to be on a flat surface in order to keep the pressure on the bottom evenly distributed.

Your 60 and my 75 have the same footprint and might use the same frames. As far as I know, top and bottom frames are identical.  My frame is 25mm wide before the indent. I'm thinking Your frame might have another 20mm of plastic supporting that 3.8mm. overhang.

Thank you for the detailed and helpful explanation!

I have 2 - 60 gallon breeder tanks that are completely supported by the long side of the frames. I also think Cory mentioned somewhere that the tanks are designed to be supported on 2 sides for the standard Aqueon aquariums 75 gallons and smaller.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 2:45 PM, Phirefase said:

I have 2 - 60 gallon breeder tanks that are completely supported by the long side of the frames. I also think Cory mentioned somewhere that the tanks are designed to be supported on 2 sides for the standard Aqueon aquariums 75 gallons and smaller.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before.

On 6/27/2024 at 4:45 PM, Phirefase said:

I've pretty sure I've read his comments about that, and I might have seen it being done in a video somewhere.  My aquariums are in the living quarters, so I don't want to temp fate.

• Like 2