Whitecloud09's 20g long aquarium journal

On 9/27/2024 at 7:58 PM, Tony s said:

Wow. Thoughts and prayers to the people in wake of that hurricane. Just now hearing how bad and how many

Yes, Ten and the carolinas had it pretty much worse than GA as far as flood damage goes. Yes prayers for them

So my ammonia is reading this. It looks like maybe 0, but idk, it does look a lil closer to .25. Yes I finally checked my water parameters! Nitrite 0. and the ph is a lil high, 7.6 or 7.7 now. The nitrates are 20 ppm. I trimmed around 10 leaves off the amazon sword that has plenty of algae on it. So now there is 7 leaves left with no algae. Cleaned my anubias throughly, it looks ten times better. And my windelov and Val. I want to add somre more fish but I will be gone for 2 weeks at the start of next wednesday not this weeks wednesday. So idk if I wanna add them and not be able to feed or do wcs during that time. Plus for Christmas I will be gone for a week. And oct to dec i am one busy man lol.

So should I add fish? @Tony sΒ you mentioned barbs? Cherry barbs, or chili rasboras.Β 

But anyway here is pics of the comparison between my 10gs ammonia and the 20g. Thoughts on what you think it is closest too? Thanks guys.

Update πŸ˜„

IMG_8614.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8611.jpg

IMG_8610.jpg

• Like 1

Looks pretty darn close to 0 to me.
You mentioned you liked Harlequin Rasboras? I’ve heard those are pretty bulletproof. I think Pandas are supposedly pretty easy too, you just got stuck with a sick batch I think 😞 

Maybe you should try something locally. All the fish I’ve gotten from my LFS have done really well. Even if it’s a PetSmart, if they look healthy you might be better off.Β 
I’d probably wait until you get back to buy fish. I’d rather be home to monitor them for the first full week or so before heading out. But totally up to you, if you think you’ll be good then go for it!

On 9/30/2024 at 11:44 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

chili rasboras

Probably wouldn’t start with those if I were you. Unless you have a really good source (like Dans Fish) I think they’d do better in a more established setup because they’re so tiny and a bit fragile.

• Love 1

On 9/30/2024 at 7:44 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Looks pretty darn close to 0 to me.
You mentioned you liked Harlequin Rasboras? I’ve heard those are pretty bulletproof. I think Pandas are supposedly pretty easy too, you just got stuck with a sick batch I think 😞 

Maybe you should try something locally. All the fish I’ve gotten from my LFS have done really well. Even if it’s a PetSmart, if they look healthy you might be better off.Β 
I’d probably wait until you get back to buy fish. I’d rather be home to monitor them for the first full week or so before heading out. But totally up to you, if you think you’ll be good then go for it!

Great yes I do like the Harqulins! Thanks for the reply, @EricksonAquatics! I will prob wait to add them till I am back.

Β 

Probably wouldn’t start with those if I were you. Unless you have a really good source (like Dans Fsh) I think they’d do better in a more established setup because they’re so tiny and a bit fragile.

Yes I actually did not mean chilis, I meant harqulins, I have never seen the chilis anywhere local anyways.. but yes thanks for that advice @EricksonAquatics.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2024 at 7:49 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

You’ve got lots of options - there’s so many tetra spiecies as well as barbs, Rasboras, killis, rainbow fish, livebearers, etc. lots to decide from and play with πŸ™‚

Huh, I have heard of kilis but do not remember what they look like? I would like to look into those, thanks @EricksonAquatics

• Like 1

On 9/30/2024 at 1:44 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Cherry barbs,

those or the harlequin rasboras would be the toughest you can get. Or for a bit different, the brilliant green rasbora that Jason likes. They're about 2" long and a very tight schooler

I think Pandas are supposedly pretty easy too, you just got stuck with a sick batch I think 😞

I agree, I saw nothing in the tank to cause that kind of issue. And they went really quickly.

On 9/30/2024 at 7:38 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Anyone have any ideas about what is reads

I call it zero

I think the honey gourami with either the red of the cherry barb or the copper of the harlequin rasbora would look very nice. Being gone for a week a christmas is not an issue, but maybe wait until after your 2 weeks hiatus is done.

• Like 2

Nah I would say its best to have a good mixture of the two instead of it being split. Maybe you can put some spider wood into the dragon stone holes and have a cool hybrid hardscape. It would def give your fish a little resting/hiding place

On 10/4/2024 at 12:40 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Man look at the change. Just seems like a different tankΒ πŸ˜„.

Β 

8F0ECD75-EA4C-44E7-A538-58301031C824.jpeg.395bd08d1634f87530ac0c1cc1a05f55.jpeg

IMG_8644.jpg

Bravo! You have an awesome tank. Im jealous... πŸ˜„

Β 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2024 at 12:40 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Nah I would say its best to have a good mixture of the two instead of it being split. Maybe you can put some spider wood into the dragon stone holes and have a cool hybrid hardscape. It would def give your fish a little resting/hiding place

Β 

Good point. Will do!

Β 

On 10/4/2024 at 12:40 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Β 

Bravo! You have an awesome tank. Im jealous... πŸ˜„

Well IRL it isn't the prettiest tank. Algae and stuff. But it is such a work in progress that I am kinda proud of it in a way. The green of the plants is a game changer for fish tanks! But more progress to be made! Thanks @CoryWithAKatana

Btw I would like to see you maybe start a journal on your 20g! You got those sick fish from tolstoy21 and I would love to see your own journey! Just a thought.Β 

• Love 1

I've started to really like the dimensions of these 20l tanks! The ratio reminds me of my 100ga but a lot easier to light. Looks like it would be the perfect grow out/quarantine set up.Β 

May have to pick one up for the guest room & finally splurge on some nice, aesthetic lights for a super clean look.Β 

Β 

• Love 1

On 10/4/2024 at 4:38 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

I've started to really like the dimensions of these 20l tanks! The ratio reminds me of my 100ga but a lot easier to light. Looks like it would be the perfect grow out/quarantine set up.Β 

May have to pick one up for the guest room & finally splurge on some nice, aesthetic lights for a super clean look.Β 

Β 

Yep! That’s awesome!

On 10/4/2024 at 9:33 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Put maybe all the spiderwood on one side of the aquarium, and plants in between, and then have a rocky area on other side with dragon stone. Sound good? Or would it look better to mix?Β 

Mix them both for a more natural look. My 60 gallon has dragon stone and driftwood pieces mixed together and I think it looks pretty good. My advice is to keep trying different looks when scaping and use all the sides of the wood and rock to see which side would fit with your vision.

• Like 1