UV Sterilizer

So, summer is here and unfortunately (for my tanks) that means more sun exposure. There is a large window in the room with the tanks and I always grow green water in the spring/summer. Previously, I’ve just let it run its course since it tends to go away in the fall, but this year I don’t want to deal with it.

What UV sterilizer would you recommend? Current, 2/3 tank are affected so ideally it would be something which is easily transferable. I know fluval makes an inline one, but it is expensive and I only have a canister filter on one tank so I could only use it on that one. Tank sizes are 10-25 gallons.

Thanks!

I second the green killing machine. 

It's not the best on the market, but it's simple, cheap(ish), and is common enough there's lots of parts and documentation out there if you have problems. 

You may also consider covering the side of the tank that gets so much light. In the past I've used tin foil or cloth to block sunlight from the sides or back of the tank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a couple green killing machines, not for green water, but for discus and fry tanks.  But it's pretty simple to use and would be totally portable.  Would take about 30 seconds to move it tank-to-tank depending how far apart the tanks reside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'be been running these in a couple different tanks where my fish-load tends to cause occasional bacterial blooms

CoolSpider UV Sterilizer

So far I like them. Been very effective. Been running them maybe 6 months.

I have also used the Green Killing Machine in the past and liked that as well. 

Both of those are good options. Very easy to setup and remove.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

Is a UV filter an item that could safely be transferred from tank to tank?  Or is it a non-issue as the UV filter itself able to kill anything that could cause issues if it were transfer between tanks?

@AdamS If the issue you’re talking about is transferring disease, parasites, etc., I don’t know, but I think risk is low. Also, I transfer fish/plants between tanks pretty regularly and I think even that has minimal risk.

I’m going to order a green killing machine.

@AdamS Hard to say. I'd think If it's running correctly, and the flow rate is correct, there should be no bacteria in the water column to transfer.

Some units will list suggested flow rates for various purposes.  This is typically found in the more expensive units that require a dedicated pump sized specifically to their use.

But, in general, you just want the water going through it to have a decent contact time with the UV light.

I have canister filters on all my tanks, so I run the Fluval Clarifier UVC. I have it run for 6 hours a day to keep my water clear.

I do have a Green Killing Machine setup if I need it. I only use the Green Killing Machine if I have a disease or some sort of infection running thru a tank. Clarifiers will keep your water clear, while the Sterilizer should only be used if you have a problem in your tank. At least thats my opinion and experience.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 8:48 PM, Dacotua said:

I have canister filters on all my tanks, so I run the Fluval Clarifier UVC. I have it run for 6 hours a day to keep my water clear.

I do have a Green Killing Machine setup if I need it. I only use the Green Killing Machine if I have a disease or some sort of infection running thru a tank. Clarifiers will keep your water clear, while the Sterilizer should only be used if you have a problem in your tank. At least thats my opinion and experience.

Can you explain the difference between the fluval UVC and a UV sterilizer? I thought the fluval one was a sterilizer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2024 at 1:17 PM, Katherine said:

Can you explain the difference between the fluval UVC and a UV sterilizer? I thought the fluval one was a sterilizer.

Yeah, I thought this too. Both emit UV light so I would assume both do the same thing. Clarifier just sounds a bit kinder then sterilizer maybe?

Maybe the clarifier light is less bright or something. Even then, I feel like it would do the same thing but just be worse at its job.

The Fluval has a 3 watt UV bulb.  The Green Killing Machine has options for 3, 9, and 24 watt UV bulbs (I think).

The Fluval also claims a 30,000 hour bulb life.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:33 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Or maybe it’s advertising.” Clarifier” sounds alot nicer than “sterilizer”

Seems like a marketing ploy to me. The issue may be;  With the flow rates of their 07 series canister filters, the Fluval Clarifier UVC with a 3 watt UV light might be able to kill algae but not bacteria or even virus (??) in the water. 100% speculation on that one.  The guys at Bulk reef supply talk about this, longer exposure time is needed to kill off any free swimming parasites. 

I am thinking about adding an UV light to my latest sump I am building. I can reduce the flow around UV light by 1/2 but I don't have enough info to do this right. 

On 5/9/2024 at 2:01 AM, madmark285 said:

Seems like a marketing ploy to me. The issue may be;  With the flow rates of their 07 series canister filters, the Fluval Clarifier UVC with a 3 watt UV light might be able to kill algae but not bacteria or even virus (??) in the water. 100% speculation on that one.  The guys at Bulk reef supply talk about this, longer exposure time is needed to kill off any free swimming parasites. 

I am thinking about adding an UV light to my latest sump I am building. I can reduce the flow around UV light by 1/2 but I don't have enough info to do this right. 

My thought is that a 3 watt UV sterilizer, with high flow through a canister filter, won't be able to do too much.

On 5/6/2024 at 5:51 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I’m going to order a green killing machine.

I have one. You won’t be disappointed. A tip for making the UV light last longer: Use a smart plug, and plug the Green Killing Machine into it. That way, once you’re happy with the results, you can have it run on a configurable schedule based on your sun exposure and algae levels. I ran mine all day until the water was clear and then dialed back the schedule to 8 hours a day (sometimes even reducing the schedule to only a few days a week). 

Good luck.