Scaping this tank, what plants would fill it out and do I need more sticks and rocks?

Nikhil

It's a 15gal tank with 5 red phantom tetras, 4 fancy guppies, 4 snails and planning to add some shrimp soon. I also have a small piece of driftwood, a rock and about 5 plants. 

I'm trying to improve the scaping to make it look even better. I have taken some suggestions from fellow fishkeepers however I am going to ask the Aquarium co-op staff for more info. Is there anything I could add to my tank to improve it. I also want to fix the brownish water and thoughts?

fishtank2.jpg

I love Anubias Minima Dragon Claw.  I always get it as a Tissue culture so no worries about tiny livestock.  It is a small plant 2-3" and great for spot planting.  By that I mean you can stick it in a small area and it will not overwhelm anything.  One of the things I like about it is that you can purchase several, add them one at a time and make changes a little bit at a time.  The picture shows 3 plants in a 4x4 sq inch area.           

"Minima Dragon Claw is epiphytic and can be attached to aquarium driftwood or placed in between the cracks of an aquascape layout. Over time, its roots will self-attach and allow the plant to establish in the desired setting. One caveat may be its slow growth as this makes Anubias leaves more susceptible to algae growth if placed under high lighting."

PeekaBoo.jpg.f115d5968aa22dc116a1cd52e681a923.jpg

• Like 1

Are all the plants real? If they are, I'd suggest spreading the stem plants out a bit so they have more room to grow. They will also fill in more of your tank.  I think the 5 plants you have are good and will grow to fill out the tank. Like Little Guys suggested, I would look for some kind of anubias or Buce or some other rhizome plant to attach to your wood.  More wood and rock aren't a bad thing but don't feel like they are 100% necessary either.

Maybe I am wrong but are the tall plants on either side stem plants with individual stalks? If so, you can separate them into individual stems and plant them about any inch (or even a little less) apart and it will give them some breathing room. When they are bunched together, the roots all have to anchor in the same spot. If you spread them, they will have more area to anchor themselves.

If they aren't stem plants then ignore my suggestion.

If you leave the Val alone, in the coming months it will send runners to make new plants and will take over the tank. You'll be able to clip them and either replant where you want or throw away. 

The pearl weed is a stem plant, you can cut the plant, take the clipping and plant it. You may want to wait until it is taller. I usually like at least 6 inches for the new plant. 

The monte Carlo will spread, and you can cut pieces including the roots. But it is a slow growing plant and I usually see recommendations for co2. 

ETA: maybe I'm getting scale wrong, but I don't see monte Carlo. It's usually a low growing plant used for carpeting.

Edited by Lonkley

Given some time, the plants you have will fill out the tank nicely. I'm a fan starting with a couple of plants and just letting them do what they want to do - it's cool to see how they grow in and change over time! Also, I love the red phantom tetras, wish they were more popular.