How do you scrub algae off a bowfront tank?

I have this really hard green spot algae in my aquarium and also hair algae growing on my seiryu stone. The hair algae I am relatively ok with but how do I scrub off green spot algae? I've tried scrubbing it off but it does not get off at all. The bow front prevents me from using a razor to try and scratch it off. Is there any tool I can use to help get rid of it?

The photo is an older photo of my tank when I first set it up and diatoms were growing.

IMG_8211.jpg

I have a bow front. But the bows are not as pronounced as yours. I use a thinner mag scraper. Placed sideways and scrape sideways as well. I see exactly what you’re saying. But honestly, your idea with the razor blade turned the other way should work fine. 

if you don’t like holding onto a razor blade. Maybe try a paint scraper from a home store 

Careful on using a razor on an acrylic bow front, they scratch very easy. Use a credit card which will bend to conform to the shape of the bow. Concentrate on scaping during both the down stroke and up stroke. I feel that the up stroke removes more algae. Again be extremely careful scrapping by the substrate. If by chance you do collect debris on the card it's highly likely you will scratch the tank! 

I do not suggest using mag floats on bowfronts. I got a good scratch on mine simply from using a non protected outside portion while hastily working on a project...... 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 8:12 AM, JoeQ said:

Careful on using a razor on an acrylic bow front, they scratch very easy

I never even thought about that, as mine is glass. Great pick-up. 

I actually got a scratch on glass from a mag float. Tiny bit of sand between glass and float. Unnoticed until.   There it was

Edited by Tony s

Metal razor blades can even scratch glass tanks. A great algae scraper are the plastic razor blades you can buy at Amazon. You can get a large number of blades and multiple plastic blade holders (nothing to rust) for under $5. Just head to Amazon and search for "plastic razor blades." They're what I use on my tank for algae control. Cheap, effective, nothing to rust and nearly no chance of damaging the glass. As others have said, with a bowed tank you want to go left to right (or vice versa) rather than up and down. The blade will follow the curve of the tank that way.

• Like 1

Hi All,

For stubborn Green Spot Algae (GSA) I use a Lil' Chizler scraper.  It also works of Black Brush Algae on flat surfaces. The curved ends work in the corners where there is sealant.  Our club liked them so much they gave them away to attendees at our BIG General Auction last Saturday in the gift bags.  -Roy

20240422LilChizlerCroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.2d6850aac6781620de0a926c5ce77c94.jpg

• Like 1

Same to EricksonAquatics. The ACO sponges are mircale workers. So much better than any algae scraper out there, imo. 

I was hesitant to get one - but so happy I eventually took the plunge.

• Like 1