My fish are swimming franticly

whenever i have the tank lights off and i go over there they start having a panic attack and swimming along the glass as fast as they can. Even if its day and only a little dark they still are super frightened. When i go over when the lights are on they just swim at a moderate pace away form my location. if i look through a side they go to the other. So is this normal with neon tetras?

On 4/14/2024 at 7:27 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@oogabooga how long have they been in the aquarium? Do they have any cover? 

About a month and no cover but the did(it was artificial and I took it in for my sponge filter) they still did this it's not new and I thought maybe dose some stress gaurd from seachem but they were still doing it I don't know if it's natural and they think I'm a predator or something but I dont know where they were raised(my life dosent breed them they get shipments of them)

On 4/14/2024 at 7:27 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I would also ask how many you have?

@oogabooga without seeing the aquarium, I can tell you that most fish prefer cover whether it be plants, driftwood, floating plants, etc. Without this, most fish will get stressed. Stress can lead to illness. I’d suggest posting a photo of the aquarium and have some of the good people here toss you some ideas. It definitely can’t hurt and notice I addressed it as most fish. There are certain basic rules that come with a bit of experience. One of those being, fish like to feel safe. Also if they are the only fish in the tank, then there’s no other fish to sort of set the mood. 4 is also not an ideal number for a shoaling species, so without knowing the size of the tank, I’d say you should add at least 2-4 more. Good luck

Edited by mynameisnobody
  • Like 3

On 4/14/2024 at 7:52 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Agreed with @mynameisnobody that a picture of the tank could help, cover should absolutely help, and you should probably up your number of Neons as they are a shoaling fish that find safety in numbers. All those things should make them feel safer.

Ok well this is it... the best tank in the world(applause from you all)

20240413_153448.jpg

👏👏👏👏

I would definitely recommend some kind of cover for them. The little plants in the front are great, but they’re not doing much to make the fish feel safe. Taller plants, taller pieces of wood, tall pieces of rock, floating plants, etc will all provide cover and make them feel more secure. 

Would also recommend getting more as they feel safer in numbers. 

• Like 4

I agree with the comments above, alot of these cute little fish we have evolved in the protected areas of waterways. In the open waters, they may quickly become lunch for a large predator. 

I understand the negative views on plastic/fake plants but your fish may prefer having them over open waters. I suggest buying some to create a protective area in one corner of the tank while you grow real plants in the other corner. I bought these plants, they created a nice jungle in the corner. 

• Like 2

The others have this covered.  Your fish measure safety by how many other fish are swimming around and how many hiding places are available.  When you approach during the daylight, they see you as a predator. 

Another possibility: if they "are swimming along the glass as fast as they can"  closest to you, than they may be expecting to be fed.  They might not be hungry, but if you feed them they will come.  All of the behavior you mentioned is normal.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 11:27 AM, Tanked said:

The others have this covered.  Your fish measure safety by how many other fish are swimming around and how many hiding places are available.  When you approach during the daylight, they see you as a predator. 

Another possibility: if they "are swimming along the glass as fast as they can"  closest to you, than they may be expecting to be fed.  They might not be hungry, but if you feed them they will come.  All of the behavior you mentioned is normal.

It really only happens at night.

On 4/15/2024 at 8:45 AM, madmark285 said:

I agree with the comments above, alot of these cute little fish we have evolved in the protected areas of waterways. In the open waters, they may quickly become lunch for a large predator. 

I understand the negative views on plastic/fake plants but your fish may prefer having them over open waters. I suggest buying some to create a protective area in one corner of the tank while you grow real plants in the other corner. I bought these plants, they created a nice jungle in the corner. 

I will add a fake lov cause i have it ank it fits

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 6:05 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@oogabooga it doesn’t really matter the time, you will consistently have issues with any fish you keep if they don’t feel safe. Please remember stress leads to sick fish. 

Just added a log artificial decor and like 4 hours later they refuse to do in it. I went over there tonight and one of the neon jumped and got stuck to the glass

On 4/14/2024 at 8:48 PM, oogabooga said:

whenever i have the tank lights off and i go over there they start having a panic attack

On 4/15/2024 at 6:23 PM, oogabooga said:

It really only happens at night.

When the lights are off, your already stressed fish can see shadows, movements and reflections that you don't notice; both in the aquarium and in the room where you are standing.  When you turn the aquarium lights on, their world shrinks to the bright area that is mostly inside the aquarium. Compare this to how you would feel standing on a totally dark street, or standing under the street lamp with friends.  

As soon a you can afford it, add at least 2 or 3 more neons, and some other small fish.  They are often referred to as "dither" fish.  Their job is to swim at mid and upper levels and make the shy fish feel safer.  Zebra Danios would be a good choice.  They are hardy and cheap.

I've seen this in my fish before I changed my light. It really helps if the lights would dim down instead of going from fully on to completely off in a split second. The ACO light actually has this feature. 

I think what happens is that when the lights turn off right away the fish would try to swim towards the closes light source. The lights I'm using now has a dimming feature as well and when the lights eventually turn off my fish don't swim frantically towards a light source but I do see the top dwellers swim down a little bit when that happens, and after a few seconds they're back on the top.

Edited by knee
  • Like 1

I'd suggest adding backing to the tank. I paint the back and some of the sides of my tanks. I think it gives the inhabitants a sence of security. Cuts down on odd shadowy reflections as well.  🐠

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 9:47 AM, knee said:

I've seen this in my fish before I changed my light. It really helps if the lights would dim down instead of going from fully on to completely off in a split second. The ACO light actually has this feature. 

I think what happens is that when the lights turn off right away the fish would try to swim towards the closes light source. The lights I'm using now has a dimming feature as well and when the lights eventually turn off my fish don't swim frantically towards a light source but I do see the top dwellers swim down a little bit when that happens, and after a few seconds they're back on the top.

it happens hour after light goes off

On 4/16/2024 at 9:47 AM, knee said:

one of my neons has a growth on his jaw. 

should still add fish?

On 4/16/2024 at 6:12 PM, oogabooga said:

I think what happens is that when the lights turn off right away the fish would try to swim towards the closes light source.

Before the Coop light became available, as an experiment, I used three separate lights that would shut off 3-5 minutes apart in sequence.   As darkness moved across the aquarium, the fish always moved into the light.