I’ve got algae as a carpeting plant

I have a 75 gallon running a single hygger 48in light on a day cycle, glass lids, a Fluval FX4, and as many plants as I could cram in there. The filter has a spray bar and I have a single large size sponge filter in the center back.

Background pogos, a couple swords, some dwarf sag, a couple Val. Mid ground some buce and ludwigia repens I think on the “red” side along with a tiger lotus, on the side with stones I’ve got pennywort, and a few plants I’ve forgotten the name of. There’s moss on the rocks also, under a hairnet. Center of tank is all dwarf hairgrass.

Tank has been running a month and was started with used filter media, and is fully cycled. Only thing in there at the moment is snails; the shrimp I had moved into it all perished, even though they’re fine in all my other tanks. I have fertilized with Thrive and root tabs.

Which brings me to the algae - or Cyanobacteria; I’ve no idea. It’s big, it’s green and brown, some of its hairy, some of its not. It doesn’t have any quit and seems happy to overtake everything, including the floaters!

I am a bit stumped as none of my other tanks have this problem. What did I screw up? Here are some photos for reference:IMG_3633.jpeg.a9eacd0faf04fa01b56ccbfb49758c56.jpegIMG_3634.jpeg.98cfc6a57de480c2d73115d5b7d2eed3.jpegIMG_3635.jpeg.d142beedd10a1ccedb4e6c5918f19dd0.jpegIMG_3636.jpeg.b062b60c7264cf88c9cc135a01a71f5a.jpeg

At least it’s not terribly ugly from a distance:

IMG_3632.jpeg.16c91b572249df65d47e6dd55c44f4a8.jpeg

Edited by ravvlet
  • Like 1

Personally, I think even though you started this tank with old media it's still a new tank going through the growing pains and is not yet "balanced".

Though some would argue the point about adjusting light, I think the light seems pretty bright, I would change that and/or cut the duration. Most plants don't need any more light than 4-6 hours a day. This is how I've solved most of my problems with that sort of algae outbreak.

However, if it is blue/green or cyano bacteria (which is also very common in new tanks) you can try several methods that are brought up online. Personally I'd go the medication route (maracyn) BUT you'd possibly have to put new, old media back in the tank when done because that usually crashes your good bacteria. It doesn't really look like it to me from the pics you've posted. 

Those Hygger lights have a TON of blue only light if you're running it on the normal cycle.  That would be my first adjustment.  I'm not sure which Hygger light you have, but the ones I have can be manually programmed for time and intensity.  Algae can use blue while plants cannot (at least that's my understanding).  

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 6:48 AM, jwcarlson said:

Those Hygger lights have a TON of blue only light if you're running it on the normal cycle.  That would be my first adjustment.  I'm not sure which Hygger light you have, but the ones I have can be manually programmed for time and intensity.  Algae can use blue while plants cannot (at least that's my understanding).  

It is the kind with the settings, but I’ll have to dig out the manual because I can’t remember how to adjust the color temp. I know my other ones are all on default because I’m exceptionally lazy and I only occasionally get algae on the back glass that can be taken care of with a scraper. It’s why I was so shocked at how intense it’s gotten in this tank!

On 4/10/2024 at 6:40 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Personally, I think even though you started this tank with old media it's still a new tank going through the growing pains and is not yet "balanced".

Though some would argue the point about adjusting light, I think the light seems pretty bright, I would change that and/or cut the duration. Most plants don't need any more light than 4-6 hours a day. This is how I've solved most of my problems with that sort of algae outbreak.

However, if it is blue/green or cyano bacteria (which is also very common in new tanks) you can try several methods that are brought up online. Personally I'd go the medication route (maracyn) BUT you'd possibly have to put new, old media back in the tank when done because that usually crashes your good bacteria. It doesn't really look like it to me from the pics you've posted. 

I kind of assumed it was just a new tank issue; but at the same time none of my other tanks running similar lights have ever had this much algae growth! I also don’t think it’s cyno but didn’t want to rule it out because I don’t think it’s one I’ve dealt with personally.

Since there isn’t anything in it besides pink ramshorn snails, it won’t hurt to leave the light off for a couple days and then run the gravel vacc.

This tank is my first time using seiryu stones and I also wonder if they’ve messed with the TDS/gh/kh in some way, which would explain why the shrimp all kicked the bucket, and the mystery snails had to be moved out when they started looking peaky. I’ve just been busy with other things and didn’t test anything besides ammonia and nitrite for the purposes of cycling.

Edited by ravvlet

On 4/9/2024 at 7:17 PM, ravvlet said:

Which brings me to the algae - or Cyanobacteria;

grab some with your fingers. if it smells musty and foul and very slimy, cyanobacter. if it just smell sea weedy mostly clean , just algae. if cyanobacter, you'll need erythromycin for a week or so. 

It actually looks okay. depending on the look you want. i like the green algae on rock look , myself

On 4/10/2024 at 11:04 AM, Tony s said:

grab some with your fingers. if it smells musty and foul and very slimy, cyanobacter. if it just smell sea weedy mostly clean , just algae. if cyanobacter, you'll need erythromycin for a week or so. 

It actually looks okay. depending on the look you want. i like the green algae on rock look , myself

That’s clever. I’ve been sniffing the water and it smells ok, I’ll have to scoop some up and try that.

I like it in some areas, but it’s getting to be a bit much on the gravel, and the hair grass doesn’t seem to enjoy it. Would a catfish eat any of this stuff?

On 4/10/2024 at 10:56 AM, ravvlet said:

kind of assumed it was just a new tank issue; but at the same time none of my other tanks running similar lights have ever had this much algae growth!

Well, the fascinating thing about this hobby is that you can set up 5 of the same size tanks in the same house using the same lights, filters, water and similar or same substrate, decor and STILL have differences in each tank. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

I allowed Cyano to grow in my project tank for a few weeks.  It tended to trap gases from the substrate and dying algae, and grew as a solid continuous carpet that also extended down into the substrate.  If you disturbed it it would come up in chunks.  I don't see that in your pictures.    

Well I went ahead and gravel vacc’d as much as I could - and now I’ve got green water!! Time to add some daphina eggs 😂 mostly kidding.

I have read that otocinclus are better for algae than plecos, but they prefer mature tanks, which this isn’t. How long should a tank be ridding for an oto? Or am I borrowing trouble and should stick with a pleco? I’ve got Repashy bottom scratcher (ordered it on accident, meant to get Soylent green) on hand already. However, this is a cold water tank, around 68-70 degrees, and AFAIK pleco prefer warmer temps.

Update

I tried the black out method, completely covering the tank with blankets for about four days. I uncovered it to this.

I laughed a bit. I’m perplexed, and I’ve got several fish who’ve been waiting to be moved in here! I regret trying to vacuum the algae out, that’s for sure.IMG_3744.jpeg.720e518a539cb8303d54e591162cc014.jpeg

On 4/18/2024 at 1:03 PM, ravvlet said:

I’ve got several fish who’ve been waiting to be moved in here!

You should be able to put them in still. Unless you want to be able to see them, that is.