Plants turning to mush

i got live plants on my first tank with live plants and over the past 3 weeks all of my red root floater, all of one tissue culture plant i cannot recall and 1 Anubis petit in the tank they turn greyish green then transparent and then when taken above water line they turn to sludge. Is it melt?

Not really enough information to work with here. 

Post your water parameters and a photos if you can.     

It could be melt,  and it could be due to a lack of nutrients.  Do you add fertilizer?   Is the rhizome on the Anubia firm?  

Do you have fish, and are they healthy?

On 4/7/2024 at 9:47 AM, Tanked said:

Not really enough information to work with here. 

Post your water parameters and a photos if you can.     

It could be melt,  and it could be due to a lack of nutrients.  Do you add fertilizer?   Is the rhizome on the Anubia firm?  

Do you have fish, and are they healthy?

My Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, and nitrates is 0(ill be getting some nitrogen ferts soon prob flourish nitrogen one. Ph is 7-7.4(using api test kit). I add 2 doses of flourish regular on Monday and Friday. My tank has been running since last April but i had some incidents(its my first ever tank) that resulted I'm me changing like all my water on 2 separate occasions. But i currently have some neon's (4) which once my plants are under control will be getting some more buddies (2). They are slightly stressed but most of them are still acclimating i think( its been 3 weeks, after i got the plants they were added that same week) I'm on my computer but let me know if u need a photo and ill take one on me phone.

On 4/7/2024 at 5:16 PM, oogabooga said:

My Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, and nitrates is 0(ill be getting some nitrogen ferts soon prob flourish nitrogen one. Ph is 7-7.4(using api test kit). I add 2 doses of flourish regular on Monday and Friday. My tank has been running since last April but i had some incidents(its my first ever tank) that resulted I'm me changing like all my water on 2 separate occasions. But i currently have some neon's (4) which once my plants are under control will be getting some more buddies (2). They are slightly stressed but most of them are still acclimating i think( its been 3 weeks, after i got the plants they were added that same week) I'm on my computer but let me know if u need a photo and ill take one on me phone.

Problem #1 is zero nitrates.  You want a minimum of 20 ppm.  20-50 is considered safe. 

The pictures are always a good idea.  They enable us to see what you are seeing.  What size aquarium are we talking about?  What kind of lighting if any? Do any of the plants have pinholes in the leaves?

For clarity: Are you giving a single Flourish dose twice a week, or a double dose twice a week?  I don't use Flourish and would suggest Easy Green or another all-in-one product.  Depending on which plants you have, root tabs might be in order. 

@Seattle_Aquarist might be able to lend some assistance here.

Hi @oogabooga

Thank you @Tanked for the shout out.  @Tanked is correct, no plant will grow without sufficient nutrients, as well as light.  Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, although it contains minimal amounts of nitrogen, is not meant as an "complete fertilizer" but rather is a source of micro nutrients.  In fact, Seachem markets it a a "supplement" specifically states that:
"Provides micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients
Does not contain significant levels of nitrogen or phosphorus"
20240408SeachemFlourishComprehensive.jpg.6486c52a92ae7bf1c53a1adbf12c8887.jpg

Rather than buying all the individual macro nutrients separately (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus) I suggest purchasing a well balanced all inclusive fertilizer.  Given the alkaline pH of your tank my first choice would be Nilocg.com Thrive C which contains all the nutrients needed including DTPA chelated iron necessary for alkaline tanks.  The only exception is it contains no calcium (which most local water has sufficient levels already unless you have really soft water).   One pump per 5 gallons dosage means a bottle will last quite a while unless you have a huge tank.  I always recommend for folks just starting out with planted tanks to use species that are easy to grow like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta or Ceratopteris thalictroides) Ludwigia repens x arcuata, some of the Limnophila species are fairly easy as are some of the java fern (Microsorum) varieties.

The other factor is light, both intensity (PAR) and duration.  Information about your tank size and light manufacturer and model might be helpful. -Roy
2024-04-0845GallonMpraecoxCroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.cd941260664945b10b6329e037854284.jpg

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 10:18 AM, Tanked said:

Problem #1 is zero nitrates.  You want a minimum of 20 ppm.  20-50 is considered safe. 

The pictures are always a good idea.  They enable us to see what you are seeing.  What size aquarium are we talking about?  What kind of lighting if any? Do any of the plants have pinholes in the leaves?

For clarity: Are you giving a single Flourish dose twice a week, or a double dose twice a week?  I don't use Flourish and would suggest Easy Green or another all-in-one product.  Depending on which plants you have, root tabs might be in order. 

@Seattle_Aquarist might be able to lend some assistance here.

double does of flourish and i got that top fin starter kit cause i have PetSmart discount cause of my pet cats but i don't get live fish there(i get from lfs) its the ten gallon one. i did not keep the culture cups but i will take a picture in a few hours when i get home

On 4/8/2024 at 2:03 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @oogabooga

Thank you @Tanked for the shout out.  @Tanked is correct, no plant will grow without sufficient nutrients, as well as light.  Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, although it contains minimal amounts of nitrogen, is not meant as an "complete fertilizer" but rather is a source of micro nutrients.  In fact, Seachem markets it a a "supplement" specifically states that:
"Provides micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients
Does not contain significant levels of nitrogen or phosphorus"
20240408SeachemFlourishComprehensive.jpg.6486c52a92ae7bf1c53a1adbf12c8887.jpg

Rather than buying all the individual macro nutrients separately (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus) I suggest purchasing a well balanced all inclusive fertilizer.  Given the alkaline pH of your tank my first choice would be Nilocg.com Thrive C which contains all the nutrients needed including DTPA chelated iron necessary for alkaline tanks.  The only exception is it contains no calcium (which most local water has sufficient levels already unless you have really soft water).   One pump per 5 gallons dosage means a bottle will last quite a while unless you have a huge tank.  I always recommend for folks just starting out with planted tanks to use species that are easy to grow like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta or Ceratopteris thalictroides) Ludwigia repens x arcuata, some of the Limnophila species are fairly easy as are some of the java fern (Microsorum) varieties.

The other factor is light, both intensity (PAR) and duration.  Information about your tank size and light manufacturer and model might be helpful. -Roy
2024-04-0845GallonMpraecoxCroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.cd941260664945b10b6329e037854284.jpg

I have really soft water(2 kh and gh) and i read the thrive c but is this enough to boost nitrogen cause it says it doesn't have as much as ithers (i think.)

I also cant really justify to my parents this purchase for CA its 40 bucks plus shipping

I got some of the best quality photos in the world! Also I will be testing water soon and I'll post the parameters. For the stem plants they have showed some growth but the bottom leaves and many of the other plant stems did not make it(they litterly tore cause there stem turned to mush as well.

20240408_183714.jpg

20240408_183710_001.jpg

20240408_183800.jpg

20240408_183806.jpg

20240408_183828.jpg

20240408_183918.jpg

The pictures are fine.  What costs $40. plus shipping?

If you are on a tight budget, a clean limestone rock will (very slowly)raise Ph and calcium, as will crushed coral, egg shells, oyster shells, cuttlebone for your birdcage...

1 lb. Crushed coral or a pack of (3) Wonder Shells from the Co-op  are $5. plus shipping.  You don't need much.  There are chemical options, but I won't go there.  

Your plants are starving. You can remove all of the damaged leaves. They will not recover.  I usually leave one or two to act as an indicators.  Some of your plants have melted back, but may still be alive at the base removing them will be a judgement call.   Initially, I would consider adding some root tabs.  My theory being that they will deliver the ferts to the damaged plants quicker.  After that, a liquid complete fertilizer should be good enough. 

I like the planted crevices in the rocks. Do you know what kind of rock that is? 

If we are talking about a ten gallon tank, then regular maintenance is important.  The smaller the tank, the faster things can go wrong.  I am guessing that the algae is consuming the nutrients faster than the plants. In addition to the gravel cleaning, you can use a toothbrush and syphon on the planted rocks, or you could spot treat with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide from the market.  If you don't have one already, put your lights on a timer for 7-8 hours.  Remember that recovery takes weeks, not days! 

FERTs.png

Deficiency.jpg

On 4/9/2024 at 7:56 AM, Tanked said:

If you are on a tight budget, a clean limestone rock will (very slowly)raise Ph and calcium, as will crushed coral, egg shells, oyster shells, cuttlebone for your birdcage...

1 lb. Crushed coral or a pack of (3) Wonder Shells from the Co-op  are $5. plus shipping.  You don't need much.  There are chemical options, but I won't go there.  

Your plants are starving. You can remove all of the damaged leaves. They will not recover.  I usually leave one or two to act as an indicators.  Some of your plants have melted back, but may still be alive at the base removing them will be a judgement call.   Initially, I would consider adding some root tabs.  My theory being that they will deliver the ferts to the damaged plants quicker.  After that, a liquid complete fertilizer should be good enough. 

I like the planted crevices in the rocks. Do you know what kind of rock that is? 

If we are talking about a ten gallon tank, then regular maintenance is important.  The smaller the tank, the faster things can go wrong.  I am guessing that the algae is consuming the nutrients faster than the plants. In addition to the gravel cleaning, you can use a toothbrush and syphon on the planted rocks, or you could spot treat with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide from the market.  If you don't have one already, put your lights on a timer for 7-8 hours.  Remember that recovery takes weeks, not days! 

FERTs.png

Deficiency.jpg

The fert the other guy suggested costs 40 CA i  also dont have a rock... thats wood. I will try and get some crushed coral or wonder shells(prob shells). and ill do the other stuff too thx!!

I mean the real question is that if i start dosing with specialized nutrition from tropica and cleaning the algae going to stop my plants from dying?

well if i want calcium up then i will have to dose with equilibrium then right?

I am opposed to raiding kh as when i do a water change it will fall down and my fish do not like that

On 4/9/2024 at 6:45 PM, oogabooga said:

Ok so for where i am it costs 40 bucks to get 1 pound and i cant buy wonder shells so do u know of any alternatives? actually cant i just add equilibrium and baking soda?

Are you in Canada? Because I did see this… 

IMG_2196.jpeg

also… you can use eggshells. Clean them out really well, remove the inner membrane and dry out in the oven and crush them very fine. That would be your cheapest option 

Edited by FLFishChik

On 4/9/2024 at 7:56 AM, Tanked said:

FERTs.png

Deficiency.jpg

my parametors are gh: 3 and kh:2

On 4/9/2024 at 6:18 PM, FLFishChik said:

Are you in Canada? Because I did see this… 

IMG_2196.jpeg

also… you can use eggshells. Clean them out really well, remove the inner membrane and dry out in the oven and crush them very fine. That would be your cheapest option 

im not trying to pay for 20 dollar shells but is the kh or gh a problem or is it just nitrates being 0? if u know ls tell me cause the other guy he caid raise ph and calcium is what the coral does but i dont want high ph and calcium is part of gh not kh so...

Aquarium Coop 1# Crushed Coral is available in Vancouver for $6.99 CA at April's Aquarium, as is Easy Green, $12. CA, and Equilibrium.  I have no idea how much shipping is.  Your plants will benefit from a liquid fert. in the water column.   

Those are the two products I use. I have never used Equilibrium. It might help, but it does not have the nitrogen.

You could use Flourish Nitrogen, but you still need all of the nutrients.  Your zero nitrates is just an indicator of a bigger issue. FN isn't going to do that by itself.

Your PH is already 7+, baking soda raises PH.  Baking soda is not Calcium Carbonate. Calcium in plant food will effect your GH

Algae is not really a problem as long as it is not denying light to the plants.  It does compete with the plants for food.  As the plants recover the algae should diminish.

I know it is frustrating.  Sometimes even the easy plants won't grow in some aquariums.  At this point I would strive to keep things simple and avoid setting up a chem. lab.  Every change you make will take weeks to see results. If you make multiple changes, you won't know which change worked. 

On 4/10/2024 at 8:02 PM, Tanked said:

Aquarium Coop 1# Crushed Coral is available in Vancouver for $6.99 CA at April's Aquarium, as is Easy Green, $12. CA, and Equilibrium.  I have no idea how much shipping is.  Your plants will benefit from a liquid fert. in the water column.   

Those are the two products I use. I have never used Equilibrium. It might help, but it does not have the nitrogen.

You could use Flourish Nitrogen, but you still need all of the nutrients.  Your zero nitrates is just an indicator of a bigger issue. FN isn't going to do that by itself.

Your PH is already 7+, baking soda raises PH.  Baking soda is not Calcium Carbonate. Calcium in plant food will effect your GH

Algae is not really a problem as long as it is not denying light to the plants.  It does compete with the plants for food.  As the plants recover the algae should diminish.

I know it is frustrating.  Sometimes even the easy plants won't grow in some aquariums.  At this point I would strive to keep things simple and avoid setting up a chem. lab.  Every change you make will take weeks to see results. If you make multiple changes, you won't know which change worked. 

Thx for support i have ordered the thrive and have done a water test and everything is in order except im reading 5ppm nitrates but my plants are still dying?? so ill take a picture and check for the next week because they should still be eating some of that.

image.png.825c0e6e61a3e54663d3d06d3491b068.png

that was the smaller one.. but i already ordered the thrive cause it contains non glut based carbon and has more of the micro nutrients!! ill try easy green soon tho (soon as in like a year)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 6:45 PM, oogabooga said:

Ok so for where i am it costs 40 bucks to get 1 pound and i cant buy wonder shells so do u know of any alternatives? actually cant i just add equilibrium and baking soda?

You can get clean limestone, they have limestone at building supplies and garden centers.  Being in Canada it should be cheap, I used to live near Niagara falls area in NY.  The shells should be inexpensive also.  I bet you can find someplace that sells crushed shell.  The reason for coral or limestone etc instead of baking soda is that the baking soda will swing the numbers fast and be gone quickly also versus steady change.  Aquarium keeping us more about stability than matching numbers like they are magical.  I have a larger tank and scaping was going to be expensive but I went garden department for most of my stuff cheaper that way.  So don't think you have to buy pet store things to get what you are after.