Chili rasboras or Exclamation Point rasboras??

YAMA

Can anyone tell me if these are Chili rasboras or exclamation point rasboras?  They were just added to their main tank out of quarantine about 2 weeks ago so they haven't  colored up completely.  I've noticed 2 or 3 seem to have a yellow coloring along the black stripe.   I was told they were Chili's but now I'm not sure what I have.  I know the pictures aren't great but they're just to quick to get a good picture.

Screenshot_20240402_234016_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240402_233956_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240402_233805_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240402_233640_Photos.jpg

There are 6 species in the Boraras genus.  Chilis - B. brigittae, Dwarf - B. maculatus, Phoenix - B. merah, Three-spotted Dwarf - B. micros, Strawberry - B. naevus, and last but least [see what I did there?] Least AKA Exclamation Point - B. urophthalmoides.  Whew, those scientific names!  Especially that last one.

They can all apparently hybridize so there are hybrids making their way into the hobby and they drop color when captured, shipped, etc, so the three most common ones are easily mistaken for each other.  All that said, I’m not 100% certain which you’ve got there, @YAMA!  I THINK it’s most likely chili since the exclamation points I’ve seen have significantly less red/pink color and show a gold line above their black line with a very straight, bold, and distinct line that isn’t the somewhat wiggly thing that’s going on in your pics.  Chilis often have a slightly narrower, slightly wiggly line that shows a less precise taper than exclamation points if that makes sense.  They also have a more distinct, more rounded spot in the tail than chilis which is almost a tiny dash in most of them.

The other 4 species are the more “spotted” ones and those can be very hard to distinguish between them.  I also don’t remember seeing B. micro in person yet but haven’t looked for them specifically.

OK, that’s pretty much the sum of my Boraras species knowledge (definitely had to look up those scientific binomials).  Hope that maybe helps?  😆 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your thoughts!  I hope they're Chili's....but I guess because a few of them seem to have yellow on them made me wonder.  Thanks again.