Filtration for a 75gal (Returning Hobbyist)

I am just getting back into fish keeping after a 2 year break after moving and need some advice on filtration.

I am going to be running multiple 20 gallons with sponge filters, but I am unsure exactly what I need for my 75 gallon.

I plan to heavily plant the tank and stock in with a school of tetras, corydoras and then mabye 2-3 dwarf cichlids like apistos and keyholes.

Is an aquaclear 110 and a sponge filter more than enough?

I'm trying to brush up on my knowledge but I see so many people in forums recommending multiple HOB filters or canisters for a 75, that seems like overkill to me for what I will be stocking it with.

If you are planning on concentrating on plants and especially if using pressurized CO2, a strong argument can be made for a canister filter.  

canister filters can provide better control of flow helping to keep co2 in suspension better especially with an inline diffuser.

When I start up a 75, it will be a canister filter without question.

I just set up a new 75g a little while back and I am using an Aquaclear 110 and an ACO Large Sponge Filter. Im not running Co2 and I wouldnt consider this tank 'heavily' planted - lots of crypts, java fern, a few Buce and some Vallisneria. I know there are a lot of people who advocate for canister filters and I am sure they are fabulous, b ut they intimidate me. I don't know why, afraid of change maybe?  So, that's why I went with the familiar HOB and Sponge filter for mine.

I should add that the evenutal stocking in this tank will be 12 X Peppered Cory, 12X Congo Tetra, 15 - 20 X Lemon Tetra, 1 BN Pleco and 6X Kuhli Loaches.... according to Aqadvisor, I've more than enough filtration.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 2

Imo your probably fine with that filtration I personally don’t like sponge fillers especially on deep tanks but that’s just an opinion nothing technical wrong with them 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 6:35 PM, JamieLikesPlants said:

I am just getting back into fish keeping after a 2 year break after moving and need some advice on filtration.

I am going to be running multiple 20 gallons with sponge filters, but I am unsure exactly what I need for my 75 gallon.

I plan to heavily plant the tank and stock in with a school of tetras, corydoras and then mabye 2-3 dwarf cichlids like apistos and keyholes.

Is an aquaclear 110 and a sponge filter more than enough?

I'm trying to brush up on my knowledge but I see so many people in forums recommending multiple HOB filters or canisters for a 75, that seems like overkill to me for what I will be stocking it with.

Personally I am running 2 sponge filters and am going to have a heavily planted tank 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 6:57 PM, FLFishChik said:

I just set up a new 75g a little while back and I am using an Aquaclear 110 and an ACO Large Sponge Filter. Im not running Co2 and I wouldnt consider this tank 'heavily' planted - lots of crypts, java fern, a few Buce and some Vallisneria. I know there are a lot of people who advocate for canister filters and I am sure they are fabulous, b ut they intimidate me. I don't know why, afraid of change maybe?  So, that's why I went with the familiar HOB and Sponge filter for mine.

I should add that the evenutal stocking in this tank will be 12 X Peppered Cory, 12X Congo Tetra, 15 - 20 X Lemon Tetra, 1 BN Pleco and 6X Kuhli Loaches.... according to Aqadvisor, I've more than enough filtration.

Yeah I'm gonna go with the HOB and a sponge, if I end up needing more filtration down the road then I'll add it.

Thanks for the advice!

On 3/29/2024 at 7:16 PM, JamieLikesPlants said:

if I end up needing more filtration down the road then I'll add it.

And what would your upgrade path be on a heavily planted 75 gallon tank? Another sponge or HOB? Do heavily planted tanks need better mechanical filtration with all the plant debris floating around? One option you may want to consider with the with the Aquaclear, this skimmer attachment

As Pepere pointed out, HOB are not good with CO2 system so you may be limiting your upgrade options in the future. The problem with canister filters, Fluval dominates and can be expensive. The Fluval 407 is $229 which is ~$100 more than your HOB/Sponge filter plan. I am just not sure about the quality of more affordable canister filters. 

For myself, building my own filters (sumps) is a big part of the hobby. But money wise, the Fluval FX2 would have been a better decision for my 75 gallon tank.

Side note: I connected a HOB to an undergravel filter, I love this so far. I wish there was an off the shelf product available to make this simple.. This gives me a huge bio filter and I just use the HOB as a pump and for mechanical filtration. The UGF does not have to cover the entire tank to be effective. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 7:38 AM, madmark285 said:

The UGF does not have to cover the entire tank to be effective. 

We just started my 65g (see signature). This is our first large tank, with a UGF covering 2/3 of the bottom, and 3 uplifts using a mini powerhead on one and airstones in the other 2. I am still in midst of stocking but I am liking it so far. The water is rather clear, compared to my small tanks that only have hob and sponges. I only expect to run an occasional polisher maybe once a month.

Good luck!

• Like 2

My 75 has a UGF  that covers about 90% of the tank, with 2 risers and powerheads.  The powerheads provide water movement and aeration throughout.

The tank also has a Marineland Emperor 400 HOB.  Either filter is adequate by itself.

It is a ridiculous amount of filtration, but the HOB was a gift, so I was required to use it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on what type of filter you want to maintain. Sponge filters, HOBs, and a canister would all filter your tank efficiently. 

I'm a big fan of HOBs. Less maintenance than a canister, and takes up less room in the tank than a sponge filter. 

Edited by Jeff

I grew out my discus fry using two double stacked, large ACO sponge filters.  I eventually added a Tidal 100 (or something like that, I can't remember the number) and reduced down to one single, large ACO sponge filter so that I have a seeded filter to use if I ever end up needing one.

I think you'll be fine with what you're planning.  

It depends a lot on what you want your filter to do. As people have hinted at above, filters don't just do one thing and there is often no right answer for what the best filter is, even for a very specific tank like yours (75g, planted, low fish load). If your concern is fish health-- eliminating ammonia and nitrates-- then almost any filter that moves water will be good enough if there is strong plant growth. You would be just fine with a sponge and HOB. If you also want your filter to help remove detritus and remove suspended particles from your water to keep it looking crystal clear, then you want something with a log of mechanical filtration and decent circulation (maybe multiple HOB or a canister). If you want to keep a higher maintenance but really pristine tank, then you probably want a canister or sump because you will need the strong flow that their pumps can provide for circulation/to keep detritus suspended but also the media space that a larger filter offers to load up on sponge/polishing media as well as bio media and, perhaps some chemical media like Purigen. 

It all really comes down to how you balance goals, time, and resources. If you aren't looking for a high-energy show tank full of demanding plants, then sponge filters and HOBs will more than have you covered and, in many ways, be superior to a canister because of how much easier they are to maintain, their lower cost, and much lower likelihood of leaking onto your floor. If you are looking for a filter that you can cram full of tons of sponge/purigen/media to really polish your water and are willing to pay for it in cash and maintenance time, then something like a canister will probably be a good fit.

• Thanks 1