Why do fish love blood worms

Kind of a silly question, but what is so appealing about blood worms from a fishes perspective? My moray is only consistently eating blood worms, which he will come out for as soon as they are out in the water. He has taken frozen seafood before but sometimes turns his nose at it and doesn’t come out quickly for them. Morays hunt by smell so I’m assuming the blood worms are more pungent, but is there a way to replicate that in other food or any suggestions on some delicious smelly foods aside from blood worms. 

On 3/26/2024 at 2:42 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

Kind of a silly question, but what is so appealing about blood worms from a fishes perspective? My moray is only consistently eating blood worms, which he will come out for as soon as they are out in the water. He has taken frozen seafood before but sometimes turns his nose at it and doesn’t come out quickly for them. Morays hunt by smell so I’m assuming the blood worms are more pungent, but is there a way to replicate that in other food or any suggestions on some delicious smelly foods aside from blood worms. 

I don't know about the smell but had a saltwater Snowflake Moray that went nuts on squid 😆

On 3/26/2024 at 3:31 PM, NOLANANO said:

I find that all my fish like Blood Worms but they go absolutely NUTS over Beef Heart.  

Be careful feeding beef heart, i know it is popular in the discus community,  but it is a harder food for fish to digest properly.

• Like 1

Fish may love bloodworms and the action of feeding it might seem fun. Until it is not fun.

Having one tank alone in my bedroom feeding it caused me no problems. Having two tanks, still no issues. Having fishroom with 25 tanks feeding it made me witness an angelfish eating it and instantly dying in front of my eyes, and another scenario, german blue ram eating it and it being stuck to its gills. When you have more fish, the chances of you witnessing problems also increase gradually.

That day I quit feeding bloodworms. They are poor in terms of nutrition, and has much better alternatives, even as worms.

Moray constantly feeding only on bloodworm will lack nutrition in the long term. I would advice to see it as a once a week treat maybe and try to find much better and varied alternatives.

Worms are such a natural part of fish diet. Even the frozen bloodworms move in the current simulating live food. I agree blood worms are nutritionally lacking.  I culture white worms.  I feed my white worms whole grain whole wheat bread, whole milk yogurt and nutritional yeast.  
Fish go insane for them and they stay alive for a week in the tank.  It’s great environmental enrichment also allowing them to hunt more like they would in nature vs scavenge. 

• Like 2