To overhang or not

AquaJT

How many of you trust a tank with overhang? I made a stand for a 40 breeder and it turns out I don’t really want it and I rather keep smaller tanks to raise fry.

Problem is a 40 breeder is about 18 wide. If I put a down of 10’s the ends will overhand about of an inch on either side.  20.25 is total length of a 10.  Trying to find ways to justify replacing it with smaller tanks without giving up tank volume space.

I’ve seen vids of ppls fish room with overhangs…

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by AquaJT

On 3/23/2024 at 10:02 PM, AquaJT said:

That’s a real solid idea thanks. Extra thick plywood? I’m hoping it won’t sag 

The weight of 10s isn't really going to be a problem with needing anything heavier than 1/2 inch plywood 

• Like 3

On 3/23/2024 at 10:02 PM, AquaJT said:

That’s a real solid idea thanks. Extra thick plywood? I’m hoping it won’t sag 

3/4 plywood is available also at most diy stores.

I agree with staining the wood. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:31 PM, Tlindsey said:

3/4 plywood is available also at most diy stores

Yes. I almost suggested that. But 10’s are light 

@AquaJT they often can cut your pieces to size if you bring them the dimensions. Although you may have to pay for the whole plywood sheet anyway. 
some will cut for a fee. Some won’t cut at all. Depends on the store 

On 3/24/2024 at 12:11 PM, Pepere said:

Rather than plywood, you could just run an extra 2 by lengthwise front and back and voila, the stand is now 21 inches front to back.

True or overhang the plywood and have a place for tools,  I am planning a table for my stand for working in the tank.

With a group of 10 G tanks you would almost certainly be fine.  But I would personally rather sleep better at night and would choose the 3/4” stained and sealed outdoor plywood to be extra sure.  I also have a profession where I tend to see the worst of things and have to always be thinking of preventing problems.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 1

You could add on just to the back side, but you’d need to get a 4x4 post as 2 x anything would only be 11/2” wide cut it to true 2 x width and screw it onto the side. Oh, and btw, nicely crafted on the first iteration