Die Off After Water changes

So something I have been noticing. I have somewhat of a die off every time I change water. Usually affects my plecos, Cory’s, CPDs the most. I notice my honey gouramis will go towards the surface to try for oxygen I am guessing.

What could be going on. My tank is pretty well established and my levels are clean (I know take that with a grain of salt) I more clean my tank and water change just as a weekly maintenance.  

Some notes I have hard water, my temps are around 78-80, and I refill the tank from a hose outside my door. It’s happened a few times now let’s say 4-6 and doesn’t kill the whole tank but seems that certain groups are affected. The plecos and gouramis tend to pull through but struggle for a bit. Tank is a 75gal.

I have two air stones running as well as a flow bar part of my filter system. 

This will sound like a silly question, but when you refill… are you adding dechlorinator? If so, are you dosing for the full capacity for the tank and not just for the amount you are refilling? Are you adding the dechlorinator before or after you add water back?

• Like 4

Water out of my hose seems to have 0 chlorine in it, it seems obviously I could be wrong. I would have to check the temp of the water out of the hose. Let’s say it was the temp of the water from the hose is there a solution for that?

Unless you are in a well system or have a separate well for your exterior taps, then the water coming from your hose is the same water coming from your tap inside the house. So if your interior water source has chlorine, then so will your exterior water source (unless it’s on a well system).

as for temp.. if you are using a python/type water changer, you could try using a faucet from inside the house that you can adjust the temp closer to the water temperature in the tank. If not, then your other option is to store water in a large enough container with a heater prior to your water change or store it inside until it reaches room temp as long as there isn’t a huge difference between ambient temp and aquarium temp

• Like 5

Yeah. Could be temp shocking the fish for sure if it’s an outside hose. It would be the same as using your cold tap inside. The remedy for that is getting a barrel inside and letting it come up to room temperature and then using it. Haven’t lost a fish using room temperature water yet. You’d test for chlorine there before using it. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 7:53 PM, NotDaleGribble said:

Water out of my hose seems to have 0 chlorine in it, it seems obviously I could be wrong. I would have to check the temp of the water out of the hose. Let’s say it was the temp of the water from the hose is there a solution for that?

Regardless what you think, it probably has it in it if you are on a city water system. I always recommend you put PRIME into the water you are putting back into your tank.

On 3/23/2024 at 5:02 PM, NotDaleGribble said:

I notice my honey gouramis will go towards the surface to try for oxygen I am guessing.

For the record, gouramis are labyrinth fish.  They breathe from the surface.

It sounds like you don't test your water. That's OK though, you can still do water changes without harming your fish. 

Get a new, dedicated, clean barrel or garbage can to use for water changes. 30 or 40 gallon should do. Get a dedicated airstone and airpump for this container. Get a water conditioner.  I use Fritz Complete. I always double dose the conditioner just to be safe. You never know what amount of chlorine the water utility district will be adding (or other chemicals as well). 

It is important to let the new water gas off micro bubbles. Cold water always gasses off as the temperature of the water rises. So you must keep this container indoors. It will take about 24 hours to be safe for your fish. I always wait several days just to be sure. It is also very important to dechlorinate the water so use the Fritz Complete as soon as you fill the container. Now add the airstone to the water and let it bubble away until you are ready to do a water change. This will keep the water well oxygenated and help with the gas exchange. 

Now you are ready to do water changes without stressing or killing your fish.