Bolivian ram not eating

Sciurus

I got a bolivian ram a bit more than a week ago from ACO for my 29gal and its still not eating. It will occasionally nibble something but then swim away. Wondering if its just stressed, or maybe internal parasites? Besides not eating its swimming around and behaving normally.

I have a bunch of neocaridina shrimp and 3 sparkling gouramis and a bn pleco that are all eating and acting normally.

Water parameters: 

Nitrate: <5

Nitrite: 0

Gh: 75

Kh: 120

Ph: 7.0

Ammonia: 0

Temp: 77F

20240322_110401.jpg

20240322_110552.jpg

Ive fed freeze dried tubifex worms, repashy soilent green, omega one color mini pellets, xtreme krill flakes, and the xtreme shrimpee sticks

Edited by Sciurus

On 3/22/2024 at 11:21 AM, Sciurus said:

Ive fed freeze dried tubifex worms, repashy soilent green, omega one color mini pellets, xtreme krill flakes, and the xtreme shrimpee sticks

Ive never seen him go after the shrimp, and even if he did, his belly doesnt look full either

• Like 1

he may have parasites. have you tried a sinking high protein pellet. their natural behavior is to sift through the sand substrate. my tank has angels and corys and rams and snails. the angels get vibra bites. my rams no longer touch them. they wait for the sinking pellets.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:56 PM, Tony s said:

he may have parasites. have you tried a sinking high protein pellet. their natural behavior is to sift through the sand substrate. my tank has angels and corys and rams and snails. the angels get vibra bites. my rams no longer touch them. they wait for the sinking pellets.

Yes, I have tried high protein sinking pellets. He will look at them as they float down but show absolutely no interest in them whatsoever. 

• Like 1

He still likes hanging near the bottom, breathing seams normal but I guess it does look a bit fast compared to the others, no flashing or lethargy, when he does take bites he spits them out but he doesnt really go after anything anyway and I havnt seen any poop.

On 3/23/2024 at 3:15 AM, Sciurus said:

He still likes hanging near the bottom, breathing seams normal but I guess it does look a bit fast compared to the others, no flashing or lethargy, when he does take bites he spits them out but he doesnt really go after anything anyway and I havnt seen any poop.

It could be parasitic infection or he's really stressed in his new environment given the fact it's been a week I would have expected him to have started eating normally by now what I would do is 3 course of paracleanse two weeks apart following the instructions on the box so treat on week 1 week 3 week 5 paracleanse could harm your benefial bacterial as one of the active ingredient metronidazole treats gram negative bacterial infections such as  aeromonas I haven't had an issue do more frequent testing for ammonia and nitrite during treatment add an extra air stone during treatment 

After the first week of treatment, the ram seems to be more interested in food, but still doesn't actively go after it during feeding time. I can see that its pooping, however its mostly white/stringy, but occasionally I can see bits of brown in there, so im assuming its eating something. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 2:34 AM, Sciurus said:

After the first week of treatment, the ram seems to be more interested in food, but still doesn't actively go after it during feeding time. I can see that its pooping, however its mostly white/stringy, but occasionally I can see bits of brown in there, so im assuming its eating something. 

Keep treating with paracleanse the fact that he's showing more interest in food is a good sign 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 1:00 AM, Sciurus said:

@Colu when should i start the second week of paracleanse. Should i start it a week after i started or on day 5 after the 25% waterchange or the next day?

You want to treat two weeks after the first so the second course will be at the start of week 3 then the third course on week 5 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

For diet you might try live brine shrimp if you can get some - some stores sell it cheap - it has a very short shelf life (around 3 days); also long term fluval bug bite are really good; though they do eat greens and something like nls algemax or bug bite for bottom feeders (which has peas mixed in); should be offered. Fishes can go a couple of weeks without eating but usually if they stop eating the long term prognosis isn't good. 

i can't comment on if he has parasite but i thought coop treated their fishes prior to selling. I'd contact the store and see if they did pretreat the rams or if any of their other rams are having issues. meds are good when needed but they aren't free; too much med is unhealthy to the fish internal organs.

• Like 2

Sorry for your loss he  probably became  to weak due to lack of food and  sadly lossed the fight at least you did your best to try and turn him around 

• Like 1