please ID mystery fish that hitchhiked with barbs

I got cherry barbs recently, but aming them is a mystery fish. I thought it might be a juvenile cherry barb but it is mostly silver with only a faint grey horizontal line. It also does not school with the cherries.

Please help identify. Thank you!20240321_093646-COLLAGE2.jpg.d5430dcc9c8cb1f1b1a84a501c92faf7.jpg

On 3/21/2024 at 9:53 AM, macdaddy36 said:

Looks to me like some kind of kind of silverside (Atheriniformes), specifically some kind of rainbowfish, but it's hard to tell? Did you order them online?

I got them at a swap meet. I suppose I can try locating the seller...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I tried to look at several images. This was the closest I could find: telematherina bonte, but the dorsal fin on mine isn't as pointy, and I cannot tell if these are yellowish, or only appeared yellow because of the light. The third photo of the bonte shows silver-gray.

20240321_202103-COLLAGE~2.jpg

I plugged a screenshot into a fish ID app, here are some possibilities.

1. Pacific Blue Eye Rainbowfish (Everyone is saying it's a rainbowfish)

2. Inland Silverside

3. Bloodfin Tetra (The colors don't match, though.)

On 3/22/2024 at 9:45 AM, Guupy42 said:

I plugged a screenshot into a fish ID app, here are some possibilities.

1. Pacific Blue Eye Rainbowfish (Everyone is saying it's a rainbowfish)

2. Inland Silverside

3. Bloodfin Tetra (The colors don't match, though.)

Oh, thank you for doing that! My fish doesn't have blue eyes nor fan-like nor blade-like fins, so I am looking more closely at inland silversides. I believe @macdaddy36mentioned silversides 

On 3/22/2024 at 3:20 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

It turns out inland silversides have large eyes, have lengths 6-7 times depth of body and upturned mouths. Based on mouth alone,  "Mysterio", as I have begun calling him/her, has a mouth that is in the middle.

Also the fact that inland silver sides are generally estuarine fish that aren't kept in tanks. I was just saying it could be in the order Atheriniformes, which includes silversides, rainbowfish, blue eyes, etc. I was thinking it could be a purely freshwater species like labidesthes, but I am 99.9% sure it is a rainbowfish of some kind. Maybe as it gets older and colors up it will be easier to tell. You could ask the seller what kind of rainbowfish was in with the cherry barbs.

On 3/21/2024 at 1:31 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Whatever it is, it’s most likely a schooling fish. You’ll need to get a group, and for that you will just need another tank. lol 😂 

The fish room must expand to meet the needs of the growing fish room!

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...