snail ID please

On 3/18/2024 at 9:24 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Pond snail, I think. The little curly-q on the back of it has me second guessing myself though. 

It had me second guessing until I realized I was looking down on it rather than it on the glass. The point goes right so you are correct. Pond.  Bladders go left. 

On 3/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, johnnyxxl said:

Might be a nerite snail

Nerites cannot reproduce in freshwater and even the small ones are larger with hairlike antenna vs the bat/ yoda ears. 

Thanks all for the input. Yes, the photo shows the snail crawling on a black jar that houses my diy filter. It is not crawling on the glass.

I didn't buy any nerite snail, though it could have hitchhiked on plants. It is small, like my bladder snails. Since the yoda ears are prominent, I believe it is a pond snail. I just thought it odd that it has white flesh 

On 3/19/2024 at 2:56 PM, Guppysnail said:

The point goes right so you are correct. Pond.  Bladders go left.

Not only did I not know that this was the difference between pond snails and bladder snails, I didn't even realize that there is a difference! I thought bladder snails were just one variety of pond snail!

Can you clarify, though? Bladder snail points swirl left from which perspective? Is that clockwise if I'm looking straight at the snail?

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 4:42 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Not only did I not know that this was the difference between pond snails and bladder snails, I didn't even realize that there is a difference! I thought bladder snails were just one variety of pond snail!

Can you clarify, though? Bladder snail points swirl left from which perspective? Is that clockwise if I'm looking straight at the snail?

image.jpeg.c064144a0a13fe74ca98294af7b51974.jpeg
there are many types of pond snails all look a bit different but the point goes down or to the right. Bladder snails are one of the few snails whose whorl-point goes left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 5:17 PM, Guppysnail said:

image.jpeg.c064144a0a13fe74ca98294af7b51974.jpeg
there are many types of pond snails all look a bit different but the point goes down or to the right. Bladder snails are one of the few snails whose whorl-point goes left. 

In freshwater ecosystems left versus right twist is a water quality thing

On 3/21/2024 at 7:20 PM, johnnyxxl said:

In freshwater ecosystems left versus right twist is a water quality thing

I believe it’s a genetic trait, not a water quality issue or the chirality would not hold across species.  Bladder snails (Physella acuta) are consistently right chiral, “pond” snails (Lymnea stagnalis) are pretty consistently left chiral.  There are some snail species that have rare occurrence of opposite chirality but it’s been found to be a genetic trait.

You might be referring to a study that counted left handed vs. right handed twists in snails and correlated it to water quality, but that is also a genetic trait that makes right chirality snail species more sensitive to poor water conditions.  I can’t remember why.  I don’t think it makes the snails within a species curl a different direction.  Rather it selects for left chirality because of higher survival of those species not specific specimens in poorer water quality.

If you have studies that say otherwise please link them.  I’m always interested to see stuff like that.  Nerd central over here.  😝 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Thanks 2

On 3/23/2024 at 12:58 AM, Odd Duck said:

I believe it’s a genetic trait, not a water quality issue or the chirality would not hold across species.  Bladder snails (Physella acuta) are consistently right chiral, “pond” snails (Lymnea stagnalis) are pretty consistently left chiral.  There are some snail species that have rare occurrence of opposite chirality but it’s been found to be a genetic trait.

You might be referring to a study that counted left handed vs. right handed twists in snails and correlated it to water quality, but that is also a genetic trait that makes right chirality snail species more sensitive to poor water conditions.  I can’t remember why.  I don’t think it makes the snails within a species curl a different direction.  Rather it selects for left chirality because of higher survival of those species not specific specimens in poorer water quality.

If you have studies that say otherwise please link them.  I’m always interested to see stuff like that.  Nerd central over here.  😝 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I will see if I can find it, was 20 years ago that I was in college.  I tried to find references online but you know how limited Google gets sometimes.  I saw the genetic thing but that was way newer than my days in college.