did you ever seen such an corydoras hybrid?

Aviv

Repeating that the pics did not load. 

Hybrids are usually unhealthy and thus its not encouraged to intentionally create them. Both sterbai and pandas are in lineage 9 and therefore are able to cross. I would encourage you to seperate them. 

20240212_182030.jpg

Are you able to see the picture now?

Actually i didn't know they can crossbreed, so they was in the same tank for some time.

If I'll separate them, they still can reproduced. I've got 5 of them..

• Like 2
  • Love 1

If they’re healthy and can reproduce. You may have something there. I”m very sure there are all kinds of hybrids out there. Probably everything that can be crossed has already been crossed though. That’s how a lot of the new varieties come into existence. Not to mention corys will do this in the wild as well. But if you’re going to try creating something new, be prepared to humanely put down anything that is suffering or unhealthy. Figure that is part of the pain of breeding new fish. African cichlid breeders have to do this all the time. Figuring that half the haps and peacocks are female and have no color. Something their keepers don’t want. They only want the males. So half of them are routinely put down. And there are a ton of fancy goldfish the same way.

not that this was your intention. If it was me, I’d give them a good sized tank with no other corys. And let them live out their lives. Of course adding anything other than corys would be fine. They may be extraordinary fish and live a good long time. Hopefully. But just keep an eye out for health issues and deformities. And put them down only if needed. Otherwise, enjoy them. They look like really cool little fish 

• Like 2

As someone else mentioned, they are both in the same lineage 9, so they will cross. I would encourage you not to cross them, separate the two species, and if you do ever try to sell these be sure to point out that they are a hybrid. Lineage 9 also includes aeneus and the different laser corydoras, so any of those will also cross. Intentionally hybridizing the cory cats is something that a lot of people discourage, the same with rainbow fish. I know a lot of people will go into an LFS and want to get a few of several different species of corydoras because there are so many nice ones, but it is better to keep one species to a tank.

• Like 5

On 3/19/2024 at 5:45 PM, Tony s said:

If they’re healthy and can reproduce. You may have something there. I”m very sure there are all kinds of hybrids out there. Probably everything that can be crossed has already been crossed though. That’s how

Each genus has different results when it comes to hybrids in terms of health and ability to reproduce. Because of this, each genus has different ethics in terms of creating hybrids. Cories are not encouraged to create hybrids. It's not the same as cichlids. You may get a couple of healthy ones but in general they are not healthy and not advised. Doing it on accident is fine but it is not something we should encourage to experiment with. It's not something new. It's been done before and we already know it tends to produce unhealthy offspring. 

A lot of cories in the hobby are lineage 9

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=51

• Like 4

On 3/20/2024 at 12:21 AM, T. Payne said:

Well it definitely appears that the young primarily took on more of an appearance of the pandas. Do you know which species was male and female?

i think that i collected the eggs from the glass, so most likely that the sterbai is the female. but it's just a guess.

On 3/20/2024 at 7:13 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Each genus has different results when it comes to hybrids in terms of health and ability to reproduce. Because of this, each genus has different ethics in terms of creating hybrids. Cories are not encouraged to create hybrids. It's not the same as cichlids. You may get a couple of healthy ones but in general they are not healthy and not advised. Doing it on accident is fine but it is not something we should encourage to experiment with. It's not something new. It's been done before and we already know it tends to produce unhealthy offspring. 

A lot of cories in the hobby are lineage 9

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=51

you're familiar with any research that support this assumption: "Cories are not encouraged to create hybrids. It's not the same as cichlids. You may get a couple of healthy ones but in general they are not healthy and not advised" ?

based on what information you said that the offspring won't be healthy?

On 3/21/2024 at 5:01 AM, Aviv said:

you're familiar with any research that support this assumption: "Cories are not encouraged to create hybrids. It's not the same as cichlids. You may get a couple of healthy ones but in general they are not healthy and not advised" ?

based on what information you said that the offspring won't be healthy?

Not scientific papers if you mean that. Just experience of myself and dozens of people I have talked to.  I have been breeding cories for years and have researched the topic and talked to dozens of breeders and experts in the field.  

I'm not judging you or telling you what to do. All I can do is give you the facts and let you decide for yourself. If you ask almost anyone who breeds cories on a serious level they will tell you not to create hybrids.  It's a topic that's been discussed in many other threads on this very forum. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 7:14 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Not scientific papers if you mean that. Just experience of myself and dozens of people I have talked to.  I have been breeding cories for years and have researched the topic and talked to dozens of breeders and experts in the field.  

I'm not judging you or telling you what to do. All I can do is give you the facts and let you decide for yourself. If you ask almost anyone who breeds cories on a serious level they will tell you not to create hybrids.  It's a topic that's been discussed in many other threads on this very forum. 

I familiar with this approach. Same people also don't like people that breed cory albino from the same reasons. In the past I bred many corydoras albino, they were super strong and healthy. 

"Just experience of myself and dozens of people I have talked to" 

You bred hybrid corydoras successfully? And thus dozens people as well? And they were not healthy. As far as I understand and saw in my tanked is not common that different type of corydoras will crossbreed. Also in the same lineage.

I dont say that my plan is to cross breed them in purpose, but Im tring to understand from where come this assumption that the offspring won't be healthy.