DIY Options For an Aquarium Lid?

Spaghider

First of all, I’m a first time poster (have had this account for a few weeks though) so hello forum!

With that out of the way, I’ve been looking for a good DIY option for an aquarium lid. I’ve been trying to find a good lid for my tank (12” x 6” x 8”), but I’m nervous they won’t fit. So I thought that if I made a DIY lid, I could properly customize and size it  it to ensure the lid would fit! Are there any easy options?

Edited by Spaghider
another slight typo

On 3/16/2024 at 3:48 PM, Spaghider said:

First of all, I’m a first time poster (have had this account for a few weeks though) so hello forum!

With that out of the way, I’ve been looking for a good DIY option for an aquarium lid. I’ve been trying to find a good lid for my tank (12” x 6” x 5”), but I’m nervous they won’t fit. So I thought that if I made a DIY lid, I could properly customize and size it  it to ensure the lid would fit! Are there any easy options?

Some cut a sheet of polycarbonate for a lid. If you have a Lowe's or HomeDepot check them out. @Spaghider

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If your only purpose is to keep the fish in, than light diffusers 'egg crate' used in ceiling fixtures are easy to cut for <$20. 

You can add water and feed the critters without removing the lid.  Don't buy the shiny chrome version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Second for the twin wall polycarbonate (greenhouse) sheets. They come in 2'x4' sections and can be customized however you want to cut them. I cut them to rough size using a circular saw and then used a utility knife to cut slots for cords and filters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have gone through various types of glass and acrylic sheeting lid options. At first I was buying sheets off of the internet and cutting them myself, but I found it too difficult to control the blade to get the precise cuts I wanted. I also found that the 1/8 inch sheets I bought bowed when exposed to the warm water of my aquariums. I ended up finding a plastics store near me that would custom cut 1/4 inch acrylic sheets. They will do cutouts and drill holes for airlines and easy lifting as well. With the 1/4 inch thickness there is no bowing and the insulation is terrific. I do have one custom cut glass lid, but don't like it as well as it's much heavier, more awkward to work with, and there is always the worry that I will bonk it the wrong way and  shatter it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...