Whitecloud09’s 10 gallon planted aquarium journal

Update: 

Trying my luck with 4 random plants, but don’t worry I looked into them, here they are.

ammonia has been 0 for more then one consistent week, so I am going to get a nerite snail this week, and like I said, gonna order these plants ⬇️

73E777E6-BB96-4B8B-846F-9DF48C5FAE78.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:03 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

you are aware that Monte Carlo needs CO2 I think right? Or ami making that up?

I read that it does better with C02 but it’s not required @CoryWithAKatana This what I read 

Monte Carlo does need CO2 supplementation to thrive and grow fast. However, it doesn't require a lot of it, especially if placed in medium-lit aquariums. Like most aquatic plants, nutrient and Co2 consumption is dependent on the light and temperature it receives.

I have a medium to high light.

On 5/21/2024 at 9:03 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Nevermind Good choice

Yeah when you said that, it struck me, that I saw something about that, but it’s ok, thanks for the warning, as I don’t know NOTHING about co2 lol, not a plant guy, I’m a cycle guy, and White cloud minnow guy lol

• Like 1

I’m also gonna get a nerite snail, can anyone recommend where to put crushed coral in my tank, my water is super soft. Filter or substrate? Ideas?

On 5/21/2024 at 9:12 PM, Yoshi said:

Keep us in the loop regarding the Monte Carlo!  I'd considered it too at one point, but the supposed CO2 requirement dissuaded me.

I will! I am going for it! It’s worth a try! Thanks @Yoshi

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:12 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I’m also gonna get a nerite snail, can anyone recommend where to put crushed coral in my tank, my water is super soft. Filter or substrate? Ideas?

I will! I am going for it! It’s worth a try! Thanks @Yoshi

I believe you put the coral into the substrate but you can also put it in the filter if you want it really doesn't matter.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:12 PM, Yoshi said:

Keep us in the loop regarding the Monte Carlo!

I did Monte Carlo last year. It’s kind of small. The roots are too. I put it in a medium gravel and it didn’t take hold but let go. It grew very well as a floating plant for a long time. To the point of having to net a bunch out every week. Kind of like a slightly bigger duckweed 🤣

On 5/21/2024 at 9:12 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

can anyone recommend where to put crushed coral in my tank, my water is super soft. Filter or substrate

With a hang on back I’d put in a mesh bag behind where the cartridge goes. Gives it maximum flow and absorption. And easier to recharge when it needs it. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:20 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

I believe you put the coral into the substrate but you can also put it in the filter if you want it really doesn't matter.

Thanks, I am going with the filter cartridge, and man, my water is the softest water in this world lol. My gh is close to 1. And same with kh. Thanks @CoryWithAKatana

On 5/21/2024 at 10:13 PM, Tony s said:

I did Monte Carlo last year. It’s kind of small. The roots are too. I put it in a medium gravel and it didn’t take hold but let go. It grew very well as a floating plant for a long time. To the point of having to net a bunch out every week. Kind of like a slightly bigger duckweed 🤣

With a hang on back I’d put in a mesh bag behind where the cartridge goes. Gives it maximum flow and absorption. And easier to recharge when it needs it. 

Ok, I wanted a floater plant, in fact, I was going with some hornwort until I saw this aquarium coop deal that says buy 4 plants get 10% off, so I said why not? 😂 so is there a specific bag that I use, as I don’t have a mesh bag @Tony s?

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 2:04 PM, macdaddy36 said:

As long as it doesn’t have metal zipper. Look for plastic zipper

Got it, this is what I was looking at on petsmart, I am going there tomorrow for the snail.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters-and-pumps/filter-media/top-fin-filter-media-bag-5218054.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwr7ayBhAPEiwA6EIGxJenqysDDcoU3x7Uyv4EODtYODSDa8fOI4GRBw5xH8HkR6RlOHenqhoCgosQAvD_BwE

@macdaddy36

So I will see what petsmart has btw @Tony s, @macdaddy36.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 2:10 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I am going there tomorrow for the snail.

Get the colorful one. I got the standard ivory mystery snail. Of course it hatched eggs and I got 100 more white ones. Gold would have been much better. 🤣

and the bag from topfin would be great 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 2:18 PM, Tony s said:

Get the colorful one. I got the standard ivory mystery snail. Of course it hatched eggs and I got 100 more white ones. Gold would have been much better. 🤣

and the bag from topfin would be great 

😂 ok 👌. I will get one if possible, I am trying to decide to go to one store or the other, one has the colorful ones in stock, but it is farther of a drive, or go to my closer one that I have been too hundreds of times, but only has a black racer snail, you know it’s all black 🤣🤣. Not colorful, and I want some pop so I might go to the farther one, now I am just thinking out loud 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2024 at 8:09 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

😂 ok 👌. I will get one if possible, I am trying to decide to go to one store or the other, one has the colorful ones in stock, but it is farther of a drive, or go to my closer one that I have been too hundreds of times, but only has a black racer snail, you know it’s all black 🤣🤣. Not colorful, and I want some pop so I might go to the farther one, now I am just thinking out loud 🤣

I will say, I love my black racer nerite 🙂 He's in my 5 gallon and keeps the algae at bay.  I named him Norman 😄 

• Love 2

On 5/22/2024 at 9:09 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I am trying to decide to go to one store or the other

Local fish store is all relative. The nearest store of any sort is an hour away. Our favorite lfs is in Indy. About 2 hours. Or Chicago which is 3 hours. So, I usually just go get what I want and plan the day around that. Or, more often, I wait for my daughter’s gymnastics meets and I get to buy fish after. Wherever we’re at 😀

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 10:13 PM, Tony s said:

Local fish store is all relative. The nearest store of any sort is an hour away. Our favorite lfs is in Indy. About 2 hours. Or Chicago which is 3 hours. So, I usually just go get what I want and plan the day around that. Or, more often, I wait for my daughter’s gymnastics meets and I get to buy fish after. Wherever we’re at 😀

Ok thanks. The number one thing I never forget, is do it LAST lol. There is somewhere else down farther (not a fish place) ga that I like as well, we will see! I will post pics soon!!!

• Like 2

Get a snail from petsmart: . Got one, idk if it’s a black racer or normal nerite, as it’s a darker brown/black color, but I got one that was on the wall as suggested @Guupy42. I got him, acclimated him, and put him in. He got to work, not on the algae but moving! He is cool, he buried himself in the substrate after moving around checking out his new pad lol. His top of his shell is visible but he buried himself in. Is this a bad thing? I read that they chill when they are buried, or they are trying to protect themselves. Pictures tomorrow. The light is off. So it’s fine in the gravel right??? Thanks guys 🙂

• Like 1

Mine buries himself all the time.  He's in a 5 gallon tank with my betta, Kalahni, and at first I thought maybe he was doing it because Kalahni was bothering him.  But they seem to get along fine.  I just take it as part of their normal behavior.

• Like 2

Whoops, edit: 

2. They enjoy dark spots. I unfortunately learned that the hard way. My Nerite snail was burying itself, and I thought it was stress. If you don't have any tunnels or anything of the sort, they will bury themselves I substrate.

- @Guupy42

i read this from the topic on my WCMMS possible disease, I don’t really have tunnels or anything like that, sorry I missed this. He is fine then I guess. @Tony s, @Guupy42, @Yoshi, and everyone else who follows this topic…. Thanks 

On 5/23/2024 at 7:15 PM, Yoshi said:

Mine buries himself all the time.  He's in a 5 gallon tank with my betta, Kalahni, and at first I thought maybe he was doing it because Kalahni was bothering him.  But they seem to get along fine.  I just take it as part of their normal behavior.

Yes I just saw this, thanks!!!!! Yeah he’s awesome, just a classic 🐌

Next step: order all this stuff! 🙃 kinda breaking the bank, this 10g is 🤣. It’s ok, I love and care for my fish! 

B3999D42-B9EA-4EBC-A497-79B99601DC2A.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/23/2024 at 6:12 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

He is cool, he buried himself in the substrate after moving around checking out his new pad lol. His top of his shell is visible but he buried himself in. Is this a bad thing? I read that they chill when they are buried, or they are trying to protect themselves.

Remember that Nerites are nocturnal. My snail hides in the log for most of the day, but gets to work eating algae at night. If it is still daytime for you, then the snail will probably be buried and asleep. As long as it is active at night, then it will probably be healthy.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2024 at 7:23 PM, Guupy42 said:

Remember that Nerites are nocturnal. My snail hides in the log for most of the day, but gets to work eating algae at night. If it is still daytime for you, then the snail will probably be buried and asleep. As long as it is active at night, then it will probably be healthy.

Yes, it is 7:27 pm, down here in Eastern standard time. The light is off, tho. Thanks for the quick reminder @Guupy42.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 7:27 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Yes, it is 7:27 pm, down here in Eastern standard time. The light is off, tho. Thanks for the quick reminder @Guupy42.

WhiteCloud quick question: How long do you keep your light on? I have mine set from Sunrise to sunset. I have an amazon wifi plug and I set it to that on the app. Just wondering cuz I live in FL and its still light out

Edited by CoryWithAKatana
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 7:28 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

WhiteCloud quick question: How long do you keep your light on? I have mine set from Sunrise to sunset. I have an amazon wifi plug and I set it to that on the app. Just wondering cuz I live in FL and its still light out

I have it on a 8hr cycle, it’s a hygger plant light. It’s on at 9:30 in the morning to 5:30 at night, it has the sunrise/sunrise setting, so it begins sunrise at 9:30, and ramps up from 15% all the way to 100% in 15 minutes, so that equals the light coming on at 9:45 AM. Same thing with sunset but flipped, it turns off fully at 5:45 pm @CoryWithAKatana.

• Like 2