I just have to share this...

I watched Cory's Sunday night podcast and he was talking about there being a small percentage of 1 start reviews on the ACO website.  For fun, I started going through them and came across the picture below.  The customer is complaining that the strips don't work because the #4 and #5 positions on the strip don't match anything on the color chart.  Please take a look and see if you can find the problem... 🤣

This increases my sympathy for customer service representatives...

image.png.a0787dd9b3f5d875fbb2b57cf5384979.png

• Haha 13
  • Love 1

On 3/10/2024 at 10:04 PM, Tony s said:

Oh good lord. Ya know there’s people going to believe this. And holey moley, the hardness. Guessing even that’s fake 🤪

None of it matters because their fish are all dead from that extreme level of nitrite... 😉

• Haha 5

What's the problem here? 🤣 Other than faulty test strips? 😉 

As a designer, I !!HIGHLY!! recommend Cory print a "This End Up" on the strip to help with further issues like these . I can't add enough laughing emojis here 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

😂 yeah it seems that most people that give 1 star review on everything don’t understand something or are just completely mad over nothing that doesn’t have to do with the product 😅

Oh man, the nitrite is pretty high there, dead fish all day 😂nitrates are not even reading on there

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Haha 1

Im sure not every 1 star review is because of owner error. Products can be faulty, sent wrong, etc. 

Most people will only report negative reviews and never positive ones, however this is just human nature and no different than any other company on the planet. 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2024 at 10:15 AM, mynameisnobody said:

Im sure not every 1 star review is because of owner error. Products can be faulty, sent wrong, etc. 

Most people will only report negative reviews and never positive ones, however this is just human nature and no different than any other company on the planet. 

No yeah your right, i was just saying uselly, most of the time it is a product that is just not good or the shipping was messsed up or they lose it,but sometimes people just be mean to the company because the product was not everything they wanted, your right, it is just our human nature.

• Like 3

I've had one-star worthy purchases from Aquarium Co-op before. BUT, when I asked them about the problem they resolved it. Quickly. I can attest, as a business owner, there is no way to avoid mistakes or issues. It's not IF you have them, but HOW you deal with them. How do you make it right? In AQ Co-ops case, they earned 5 stars from me for their speedy and prompt way in which they fix things. 

• Like 4

@Chad
totally agreed, however when customers don’t reach out when there’s an issue and just leave a review, there’s really nothing that can be done. There is no appropriate asterisk you can place near reviews that the business owner finds unfair or unsavory. It’s just part of business. 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2024 at 9:59 AM, mynameisnobody said:

@Chad
totally agreed, however when customers don’t reach out when there’s an issue and just leave a review, there’s really nothing that can be done. There is no appropriate asterisk you can place near reviews that the business owner finds unfair or unsavory. It’s just part of business. 

Very true @mynameisnobody, it baffles me that folks would hit the one star review before giving a business the chance to make it right. That's a mentality I can't figure out. 

• Like 3

On 3/11/2024 at 11:36 AM, Chad said:

it baffles me that folks would hit the one star review before giving a business the chance to make it right. That's a mentality I can't figure out. 

That is the same mentality that awards a 5 star review for to a product that isn't on the shelf yet, arrives on time, or my favorite: "works as expected".   Looking for a trend, I only look at 1-3 star reviews.  5 stars without an actual review is useless,

• Like 2

Agreed @Tanked, it's best to look at the stars ranking as the basic litmus test it is. If you really want to learn more, read the comments. When comments are non-specific, good or bad, move on. Look for details and decide if you agree or not. 

Okay, this is an off-topic example but I can't help myself. The worst luck I've had with researching and judging via ranking and comments was in searching for appliances. They were all great AND terrible, and terrible for great reasons. Why was that fridge terrible? Well the front ice dispenser leaked and caused the electrical unit it was a part of to catch on fire, scorched pics attached!! Okay, that's a bad one! Every brand had a well documented horror story in the comments. It was rough, total decision paralysis.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2024 at 11:52 AM, Tanked said:

That is the same mentality that awards a 5 star review for to a product that isn't on the shelf yet, arrives on time, or my favorite: "works as expected".   Looking for a trend, I only look at 1-3 star reviews.  5 stars without an actual review is useless,

agree with you on reading 1-3 star reviews. many will be off in space somewhere, but you can get good info if the product is truly bad, or was just a bad fit for that person. one really doesnt need to read a 5 star review.

@Chad I was in the supermarket today and a lady in front of me told me she had decision paralysis over egg shopping. I was so confused. I say this, to say, every consumer is different and being the wise consumer you are, you can get perplexed at some of the reviews and purchases. Please whatever you do, don’t get decision paralysis when egg shopping because secretly everyone behind you is judging you. 😎

• Haha 5

On 3/11/2024 at 1:27 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Chad I was in the supermarket today and a lady in front of me told me she had decision paralysis over egg shopping. I was so confused. I say this, to say, every consumer is different and being the wise consumer you are, you can get perplexed at some of the reviews and purchases. Please whatever you do, don’t get decision paralysis when egg shopping because secretly everyone behind you is judging you. 😎

I had decision paralysis while shopping for fish one day.  I spent several minutes walking between cases, comparing labels and prices. As I walked away with my product of choice, I turned in time to see 2 others who had been watching at a distance rush over for the same product.  I don't know if they were judging me, but it made me feel better about my  decision.

• Administrators

Hi Everyone ~ While it may be amusing to many experienced fish keepers, let's keep in mind that we were all beginners at one point. As ridiculous as some reviews might seem, we still value the feedback and use them as learnings for the team as well as product development.

Let's try to remember the spirit of this forum and keep things positive and constructive.

I do appreciate all of you supporting Aquarium Co-Op though! 😃

Being an expert at graphic design, I decided to tackle this problem head-on.  After several hours of toil, I came up with a design that should avoid the above problem in the future.

*ACO, note that the below image is provided to you royalty free.  You are free to do with it as you like.  

test2.png

• Like 1