Aquarium Salt, Nerite Snails, and a Freshwater Aquarium

Guupy42

Many sources state that Nerite snails breed in saltwater. If I were to add one tablespoon of Aquarium Salt to a 5 gallon aquarium, would the concentration be high enough for the snail to lay eggs if it were a female? I have guppies in my aquarium, and I often use salt to treat fish disease. I have never done it with a Nerite snail in presence, though. I don't want snail eggs all over the aquarium, so I want to make sure that the salt is safe for the snail and won't make it reproduce.

Nerite snails only have a single gender, so they shouldn't be able to reproduce by themselves. This is just a theoretical question.

• Like 1

To answer that they can this, all females lay eggs in freshwater but they don’t hatch, I have read they can breed fully in brackish type tanks @Guupy42

On 3/8/2024 at 9:54 PM, Guupy42 said:

Many sources state that Nerite snails breed in saltwater. If I were to add one tablespoon of Aquarium Salt to a 5 gallon aquarium, would the concentration be high enough for the snail to lay eggs if it were a female? I have guppies in my aquarium, and I often use salt to treat fish disease. I have never done it with a Nerite snail in presence, though. I don't want snail eggs all over the aquarium, so I want to make sure that the salt is safe for the snail and won't make it reproduce.

Nerite snails only have a single gender, so they shouldn't be able to reproduce by themselves. This is just a theoretical question.

There is male in Female I thought, what do you  mean @Guupy42if I may ask?

On 3/9/2024 at 7:48 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

There is male in Female I thought, what do you  mean @Guupy42if I may ask?

Oh ok I looked it up, never mind @Guupy42.

Posted (edited)

@Whitecloud09What I meant was that each snail has a specific gender, and can't change throughout their lifetime. Thank you for the clarification of the fact that they can still lay eggs, I never knew that. The question is that if aquarium salt will be enough to make eggs hatch, if there are any present.

Edited by Guupy42
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm down to 1 snail, so I don't have viable eggs.   As mentioned above, Nerites require brackish water to hatch.   ...and to raise the plankton sized fry,  ...and a transition tank to convert to fresh water.  For this reason your snails are probably wild caught.  The definition for brackish water tends to vary.  You probably need 1 tablespoon of marine salt per gallon.  

Some other brackish water measurements:  Specific gravity of 1.0004-1.0226, .5-30 grams per liter, 500-30,000 ppm.

Here is a link to this topic with some instructions from 2021  good luck!

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/7379-nerite-snail-breeding/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1