Marimo balls still a problem?

Hello, quick question because I can’t seem to find a clear answer anywhere online even searching these forms.  

Are we still worried about marimo balls carrying invasive species?

I’ve seen a couple now at Petco and online stores, but I know they disappeared for a while. Anyone know where we stand now?

• Like 1

I have seen nothing saying they are fine now, most people still say they them but idk, ya they have disappeared recently seems like, even at AC….I haven’t seen any clear answer anywhere to, I was looking into them for my tank and saw a lot of this @yakteriyaki

Edited by Whitecloud09
Typo

I do see them available now in some on line aquarium stores, subject to restrictions in certain states.  The stores I looked at stated they were strictly quarantined against containing zebra mussels.  

• Like 1

I was just in my LFS yesterday and was talking to the owner, who is also a friend of mine, about these. He said that he has not seen moss balls on any list that he gets in a very long time. He said he gets one or two people asking every week about them, but he is unable to get them. 

• Like 1

If you do find then and want to be sure there are no zebra mussels Reverse Respiration will eliminate them.  Moss especially in the marimo family also love this treatment.  I often use it just to give them a boost.

• Like 3