Moderatly Peaceful fish, with lots of personality?

I am currently looking to see if anyone has a suggestion for a fish that has lots of personality but would get along with swords, mollies, platties, cories, Buenos Aires Tetras, and black skirted tetras.  I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium currently.  The 2 angelfish I use to have in there had quite a bit of personality but the last of them passed on recently.  I've always liked fish that interact with you a bit, vs ones that just hide the moment they realize you are looking in there.

Last night my 6 year old daughter told me my aquarium is now boring without my angelfish in there because everything else in there doesn't like to play when she goes up to the aquarium.

• Sad 1

I love my panda garra. You could do 4-5 in a 75 gallon tank. Mine usually comes to the front when i walk up, and is very active. I often see him grazing on various leaves in the tank. They get to around 3in and are completely peaceful and don't have long fins, so should work fine for your setup.

For off the wall. And depending on substrate. Gymnogeophagus balzani  or  geophagus steindachneri. Just the one. Mostly peaceful. Wont eat plants. Just digs. 

for more normal. Pearl gourami or honey gourami. 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 2

If your pH is fairly neutral, dwarf Cichlids, specifically an Apistogramma cacatuoides (Cockatoo Cichlid) pair or harem may be a nice choice—IF the size of the tank isn’t so large to overly dwarf them. Full-size mature males are about 3 inches max and females probably 2-2.25 inches.  With enough places to hide, one male and a couple-or-three females will readily utilize a 40 gallon tank—and thoroughly appreciate the footprint of a 75 gallon tank.  Good tank mates.  They will look for you in curiosity—if the male isn’t flirting with the females.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:28 PM, PT Apisto said:

if the male isn’t flirting with the females.  

I have an A. hongsloi male in a community tank and yesterday after water change he was displaying and doing his dancing (there's no female in there).  Turns out he was showing off for one of the corydoras.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In all honesty and if it were my tank. I’d probably go back with a couple of angels or even 4. Have had up to 6 in a 75. Had 2 pairs for a bit. But now the corys eat the eggs and the aggression has stopped. But I’d do something special. And possibly use this as a gift for your daughter. Possibly a pair of marble veil tails. Or platinum pearl scales. My daughter wants the platinum 

Edited by Tony s
  • Thanks 1

Consider a blood parrot. It's my kids' favorite, both looks and personality wise. I'm sure your daughter would love it. 

Or a T-bar cichlid. Mine gets along great with everyone else in the tank. Looks like a miniature flowerhorn. 😅

20240221_175614.jpg

20240221_180244.jpg

Edited by Robert K
  • Love 3

On 2/20/2024 at 4:25 PM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

I am currently looking to see if anyone has a suggestion for a fish that has lots of personality but would get along with swords, mollies, platties, cories, Buenos Aires Tetras, and black skirted tetras.  I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium currently.  The 2 angelfish I use to have in there had quite a bit of personality but the last of them passed on recently.  I've always liked fish that interact with you a bit, vs ones that just hide the moment they realize you are looking in there.

Last night my 6 year old daughter told me my aquarium is now boring without my angelfish in there because everything else in there doesn't like to play when she goes up to the aquarium.

German Blue Rams are always great in a group with 2 males and 3-4 females. 

I currently just got Amazon Puffers and they are full of personality but they are a bit more involved when it comes to feeding than your typical tropical fish.

@Guppysnail once suggested  Laetacara dorsigera for their wonderful personality. I still have plans to add them at some point in the future.

spacer.png

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/21/2024 at 2:47 PM, NOLANANO said:

once suggested  Laetacara dorsigera for their wonderful personality. I still have plans to add them at some point in the future

One of my all time favorites for water puppy personality and antics 

• Like 1

I have had tons of different species of gourami and the type I've found with the most personality is thick-lipped (often labeled "red honey gourami").  I just lost my favorite one ever a few days ago. He would regularly greet me, follow me, and do little dances. He was special. I've had 7 different thick-lipped and he was the most special of all of them but they were all more interesting personality wise than any other gourami I've had. In a 75 you could easily get 5-6 or even more because they don't get too big. 

Another idea is a pearl gourami. In my experience they were really shy and hid all of the time but I've heard others have a different experience. 

• Like 1

I second the honey and thick lip gourami comments they are great choices and amazing animals. Cories are of course a completely peaceful and fun fish also. Most other fish will be varying degrees of nippy, but other good options could be stuff like keyhole cichlids. 

Not fish but I love amano shrimp. They are hilarious, especially when they are fighting over an algae wafer. I feel my tank I have 10 and they seem to have split up territories. I've never seen them hurt each other. I don't think they can but they will chase each other around.

• Like 1