Crack or Scratch? 75 Gallon

Nate710

I have a 75 gallon from aqueon that I got about 2 years ago. I moved my light towards the front of the tank and noticed what looks to be a crack or scratch but can’t tell. Before I have 75 gallons of aquarium water ruin my home, should I be concerned?

IMG_4090.jpeg

IMG_4086.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg

Run your finger over it. Crack is more pronounced. Also Mark it with a pen so you can see if it changes.

But my general advise is if you don't trust the tank, don't use it. The tank is the cheapest part of the hobby. Just replace it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 1:30 PM, Lonkley said:

Run your finger over it. Crack is more pronounced. Also Mark it with a pen so you can see if it changes.

But my general advise is if you don't trust the tank, don't use it. The tank is the cheapest part of the hobby. Just replace it.

The outside is completely smooth, I’ll make a mark with a pen. Thanks

On 2/20/2024 at 2:38 PM, Tony s said:

So the question becomes, how do you replace a 75 gallon tank and keep everything going. Sorry, asking for myself. I found a v shaped crack in the middle of the back corner. 

This was an upgrade from a 55 gallon. I did everything in one go. I used an automatic pump to drain 80-90% of the tank water into a large tote. Put all my fish into the tote. Swapped all decor and plants into the new 75 gallon. I also put the same filters from my 55 into the new tank. Used the pump to fill the new aquarium with  the old aquarium water and topped off the rest as I would a water change.  

I would lower the water level to a few inches so the fish can swim around. Then press on the crack and if the line grows it's definitely a crack and you will be glad you lowered the water level. Also you could check to see if the glass is tempered while the water is low. If it is I'm pretty sure you can't crack them with out them exploding so if it's tempered then it's a scratch not a crack 🙂

On 2/20/2024 at 1:38 PM, Tony s said:

So the question becomes, how do you replace a 75 gallon tank and keep everything going. Sorry, asking for myself. I found a v shaped crack in the middle of the back corner. 

3 or 4 5 gallon buckets. net out the fish etc into 1 bucket, suck out most of the water, put plants, decorations etc in 1 or 2 buckets. remove gravel and place in another bucket. suck out rest of the water, remove bad tank. put new tank in place, and start putting gravel in, then plants/deco etc, etc. down time might be a few hours, wont even lose the beneficial bacteria. get water to temp, add in fish.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 5:26 PM, lefty o said:

3 or 4 5 gallon buckets. net out the fish etc into 1 bucket, suck out most of the water, put plants, decorations etc in 1 or 2 buckets. remove gravel and place in another bucket. suck out rest of the water, remove bad tank. put new tank in place, and start putting gravel in, then plants/deco etc, etc. down time might be a few hours, wont even lose the beneficial bacteria. get water to temp, add in fish.

Yeah, technically I know how. but, my lord, that is a lot of work. and a lot of wasted time and care. but I suppose, like everything else that goes wrong, I can fix things better next time.