Duckweed eaters!

Hello Friends!

I inherited some duckweed along with some plants I got, and now it grows abundantly in nearly all my tanks.  Well, I noticed that any duckweed that slipped into my main 75 gallon tank seemed to disappear within a day or two.  

So today, I found my 40 breeder and one of my 10 gallon tanks were both completely covered in duckweed.  I scooped it up, but instead of throwing it away as I have done, I put it in my 75, mostly out of curiosity.  Well, not long after I put it in, I got the answer as to who is eating it:  my 3 big Synodontis eupterus "Featherfin Croaker" catfish.  They freaking love it!  So now, I'm "raising" duckweed in all my other tanks as a live food source for my catfishies...

Isn't THAT handy?!?! 😁

-Your Weird Old Uncle Kenny

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 2/15/2024 at 5:57 PM, Weird Old Uncle Kenny said:

Hello Friends!

I inherited some duckweed along with some plants I got, and now it grows abundantly in nearly all my tanks.  Well, I noticed that any duckweed that slipped into my main 75 gallon tank seemed to disappear within a day or two.  

So today, I found my 40 breeder and one of my 10 gallon tanks were both completely covered in duckweed.  I scooped it up, but instead of throwing it away as I have done, I put it in my 75, mostly out of curiosity.  Well, not long after I put it in, I got the answer as to who is eating it:  my 3 big Synodontis eupterus "Featherfin Croaker" catfish.  They freaking love it!  So now, I'm "raising" duckweed in all my other tanks as a live food source for my catfishies...

Isn't THAT handy?!?! 😁

I wish all fish did that!!🤣

• Like 1

Mystery snails also love duckweed. It's one of the plants they will eat before it dies including hornwort and java fern. I will say though, since they can't swim in the middle and rely on sucking in the duckweed near the edges, I would never rely on mystery snails to help anyone get rid of duckweed. I have heard of people drying it out and feeding it to their mystery snails though. I tried it once and I made a mess lol. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2024 at 7:38 PM, mynameisnobody said:

I do this for my goldfish, they devour it. 

i have had a similar experience. I was taking care of goldfish for a few months at some point, and every day i was bringing in duckweed to feed them. Eventually i just started a duckweed culture to feed them once i left

On 2/15/2024 at 4:07 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Mystery snails also love duckweed. It's one of the plants they will eat before it dies including hornwort and java fern. I will say though, since they can't swim in the middle and rely on sucking in the duckweed near the edges, I would never rely on mystery snails to help anyone get rid of duckweed. I have heard of people drying it out and feeding it to their mystery snails though. I tried it once and I made a mess lol. 

That's really nice to know!

On 2/15/2024 at 2:57 PM, Weird Old Uncle Kenny said:

Hello Friends!

Isn't THAT handy?!?! 😁

How do they get to it??

On 2/16/2024 at 10:42 AM, Tanked said:

My Silver Dollars eat any and all vegetable material.  I can't grow Duckweed fast enough to become a problem.

Wow, I don’t ever want duckweed, because I don’t have any of those kinds of fish. It seems to cause more problems then good things for some reason. It seems people hate it lol @Tanked

• Like 1