On 2/12/2024 at 9:07 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's a stem, so you would just plant it like S.Repens or any other foreground stem.  Trim it when it gets too tall.

I would recommend looking at Tropica's video for the plant in question.  They show how to care/plant the stems.

Thanks a lot! I heard don’t cover the leaves in gravel…is this true @nabokovfan87?

On 2/12/2024 at 9:07 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

so you would just plant it like S.Repens

Correct, but there are several stem plants that do better after floating. This one has week roots, it should do better with a floating period. But, unpot it either way 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 6:11 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Thanks a lot! I heard don’t cover the leaves in gravel…is this true @nabokovfan87?

It is incorrect.  It adds nutrients to the soil when they decompose. If you're concerned, you can pull off leaves and plant the stems.  However, the main thing is to make sure you're planting it deep enough.  This is something I struggled with a lot at first when getting my tank up and running with the fine plants, shallow roots, and corydoras.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 9:15 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It is incorrect.  It adds nutrients to the soil when they decompose. If you're concerned, you can pull off leaves and plant the stems.  However, the main thing is to make sure you're planting it deep enough.  This is something I struggled with a lot at first when getting my tank up and running with the fine plants, shallow roots, and corydoras.

Oh ok. Thanks. Yeah I will bury good after a floating period!

The only reason I left it in the pot was I saw AC said let it convert to its underwater form….

Thanks @nabokovfan87

On 2/12/2024 at 8:11 PM, Bigdog99 said:

If you're planting trees, most terrestrial ornamental plants, or some aquatic plants (like crypts and swords) that's good advice.  For aquatic stem plants that grow from cuttings it doesn't hurt a thing, and especially pearl weed.  It will likely be difficult to get it to stay rooted without putting some of the leaves below the top of the substrate.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 10:43 AM, JettsPapa said:

If you're planting trees, most terrestrial ornamental plants, or some aquatic plants (like crypts and swords) that's good advice.  For aquatic stem plants that grow from cuttings it doesn't hurt a thing, and especially pearl weed.  It will likely be difficult to get it to stay rooted without putting some of the leaves below the top of the substrate.

Yeah just planted it, thanks! 

On 2/13/2024 at 1:48 PM, JettsPapa said:

If left floating it will also grow into a dense mass that makes great hiding places for shrimp and fry.

Yeah I would, but…have a strong hang on back filter so it would beat it up I think @JettsPapa

On 2/13/2024 at 1:30 PM, MattyM said:

I saw in a video of Cory doing a new tank last year where he featured pearl weed, he just planted the entire pot in his gravel. 

I've had luck just weighing pearl weed down with a plant weight, it will eventually grow into the gravel. 

Yes I saw it too, but my gravel is to low and the pot is to tall 😩

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 7:56 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

YouTube aquascaper MD Fish Tanks did a pearlweed carpet tank not long ago:

And another Youtuber, Fish Shop Matt, had a "how to prepare and plant plants" tutorial that you might find helpful:

They convinced me to get back into the hobby.   

• Love 2