Mystery Snail Lying Down

JLAM

Our golden mystery snail hasn't been very active lately; she's* lying down a lot, with her foot mostly or 100% closed.  I don't recall ever seeing her do this before, and we've had her about 8 months.  I did a 40% water change to see if that would do anything, and she is still lying down most of the time.  She does move, but rarely, and not too far.  Water test before water change just showed some slightly elevated Nitrates.  Water test 24 hrs after change cleared that up -- nothing else out of the ordinary.  We have very hard water, so pH is very high as the norm, but it's never been an issue.  Blue fantail goldfish, African dwarf frog, and 2nd snail are all seemingly doing fine.  The only other abnormality is a small breakout of black beard algae on one of our moneywort plants.  Could that be making our mystery snail sick or something?

*I'm not actually sure if this is a male or female snail -- we've just always referred to it as "she" 🙂 : Shelly.

Edited by JLAM
forgot to add something

2 hours ago, JLAM said:

*I'm not actually sure if this is a male or female snail -- we've just always referred to it as "she" 🙂 : Shelly.

The good news is that you are half right! Your snail is a she, but being hemaphroditic Shelly is also part Shelton too 🙂.

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...
On 11/17/2020 at 9:53 PM, JLAM said:

Our golden mystery snail hasn't been very active lately; she's* lying down a lot, with her foot mostly or 100% closed.  I don't recall ever seeing her do this before, and we've had her about 8 months.  I did a 40% water change to see if that would do anything, and she is still lying down most of the time.  She does move, but rarely, and not too far.  Water test before water change just showed some slightly elevated Nitrates.  Water test 24 hrs after change cleared that up -- nothing else out of the ordinary.  We have very hard water, so pH is very high as the norm, but it's never been an issue.  Blue fantail goldfish, African dwarf frog, and 2nd snail are all seemingly doing fine.  The only other abnormality is a small breakout of black beard algae on one of our moneywort plants.  Could that be making our mystery snail sick or something?

Did you find out what was wrong with your snail.  Did she make it?  I just had golden do the same thing and then finally die.  I have 2 more that are doing the same thing.

• Like 1

Are you feeding enough veggies and wafers. They become increasingly inactive as they start to starve. They eat ALOT and need more and more as they grow. They cannot survive on algae and leftovers. The ones I gave my niece did this as she got super busy with college and two jobs and would forget to feed them.  

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 11:21 PM, Daniel said:

The good news is that you are half right! Your snail is a she, but being hemaphroditic Shelly is also part Shelton too 🙂.

Mystery Snails aren't hermaphrodites actually, they have a male and female.  They also don't change sexes. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 2:28 PM, Jojo said:

Did you find out what was wrong with your snail.  Did she make it?  I just had golden do the same thing and then finally die.  I have 2 more that are doing the same thing.

I got a pair when we got ours, and one was always more active than the other and also much larger.  The smaller one did lay on its side sometimes and eventually did die.  

On 6/11/2021 at 6:25 PM, GameCzar said:

Mystery Snails aren't hermaphrodites actually, they have a male and female.  They also don't change sexes. 

Yeah I separated my boys and girls to cut back egg production and hopefully increase algae eating...nope still to many clutches still non algae eating lazy green bean eaters

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2021 at 2:28 PM, Jojo said:

No, she died, and we never figured out what went wrong.  I'm sorry to hear your Golden Mystery snails are having similar issues.

• Sad 2