CO-OP heater decision is disappointing

pcc

Personally, I'd rather ACO stick to their ethos and be effectively uncompromising on it. That means making hard decisions about which products to offer. They can't make everyone happy with every decision, but the fact they are setting what is effectively a guiding principle and sticking to it is important in the long term for the company and brand.

• Like 10

On 1/30/2024 at 12:18 PM, Maximus said:

Personally, I'd rather ACO stick to their ethos and be effectively uncompromising on it. That means making hard decisions about which products to offer. They can't make everyone happy with every decision, but the fact they are setting what is effectively a guiding principle and sticking to it is important in the long term for the company and brand.

I totally agree.  I was just a little confused because the 50 watt heater did fall under the 5% threshold that was mentioned.  At least that was my understanding.

On 1/30/2024 at 3:04 PM, Galabar said:

I totally agree.  I was just a little confused because the 50 watt heater did fall under the 5% threshold that was mentioned.  At least that was my understanding.

The reasoning I remember was that they are constantly under pressure to produce higher wattage heaters already, so even merely keeping a 50 watt around will just invite more questions and issues they don't want to have to deal with.

It's pretty disappointing to hear that aquarium coop will no longer be selling their heater, I got two of them recently and they seem to have been doing well granted one of them keeps falling off the side of the tank. I especially like the size difference compared to your standard heater. But looking at the AQQA heater it appears to me that other companies have already found the company that Aquarium coop was using and starting putting their own logos on them. Didn't the coop create their heater by finding a manufacturer they liked and did their own testing before adapting it into their lineup, rather than creating one from scratch with their own specifications? Also, I am pretty sure that the other retailers they are working with will still sell the stock they have, April's aquarium had a few for sale when I was there a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/30/2024 at 5:09 AM, jwcarlson said:

My personal suggestion for anyone struggling/worrying about heaters is to invest in an Inkbird controller and then it really doesn't matter what heater you plug in.

Would you mind sharing a link or photo of the ink bird model you use? 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:13 PM, Plecoecho said:

Would you mind sharing a link or photo of the ink bird model you use? 

Ebay is the cheapest place to buy them.  Make sure you buy from the actual Inkbird store which is called Inkbird (wild, right?)

Screenshot_20240130_181501_Chrome.jpg.00ea2d814431bedeb0cc70eacacc4389.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Both of mine failed in a short period of time.  The one that lasted longest had an audible buzz that the other didn't.  I moved that one to a tank in the garage before it failed, as it was noticeable from one room away in my living space.

I probably didn't help the situation, as I didn't contact customer service.  Based on people like me, I bet if Aquarium Coop legit got a 5-8% or whatever fail rate, there were also a difficult to count group like me that didn't raise their hand and say, "me too!".  So, the number is likely even higher.

Assuming Cory is as real as his videos, you really don't get people like him in business.  I genuinely believe he cares about the products he produces and making existing products better.  I love that he is taking on the "status quo" in the hobby and trying to tweak each product.  The heater was ambitious.  Anything with a heating element is going to be fickle.  As much as a let down as it may be for some, I agree with him that his time is going to be better spent in other areas.  I applaud him for taking the risk.  Where there is risk there can be reward.  You only learn from experiences and become stronger for the ones that didn't work out... as tough as that can be.  Aquarium Coop will be stronger for it and we will reap the benefits when the next product is a homerun.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 7:17 PM, jwcarlson said:

Ebay is the cheapest place to buy them.  Make sure you buy from the actual Inkbird store which is called Inkbird (wild, right?)

Wow.  I wish I had known about ebay as a source to buy from the vendor..I bought 6 through Amazon and could have saveda fair amount…

• Like 1

I am glad I converted all of my heaters to Coop heaters before they were discontinued. Sad I will have to look elsewhere in the future. Hopefully this can be revisited in the future. I am sorry to say I was part of the problem and didn't leave enough good reviews. I have been going through a phase and have not been giving my tanks enough attention. I started school again and life has been crazy. The hard choices Cory makes, make me confident in anything the Coop puts out. Thanks for the wealth of information with not enough appreciation!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 2:32 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I still have no idea why the E100 heater doesn't exist in the US. 

What makes you say it doesn’t exist in the US? I’ve ordered two fluval e100 heaters on Amazon in the last week here in Tennessee. 

Edited by MrGibson
Post repeated
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2024 at 10:20 AM, pcc said:

Hi,

I learned on YouTube Sunday that Co-op is dropping their heater line.  This is very disappointing to me since I completed converting my 7 tanks to co-op heaters a couple of months ago.  They have worked well for me. Going forward can any of you recommend heater brands or types as replacements.....again?  I really like seeing the temperature and the ability to change temperature without reaching into the tank. Thanks

I use these in my aquariums that don’t have heaters in the canister filter. My oldest one is going on two years strong! I love these things. Slim, easy to hide, auto shutoff if water gets low or you forget to unplug during water change, and the temp display is on the controller on the cord.

IMG_6497.png

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 2:49 AM, Crow said:

I use these in my aquariums that don’t have heaters in the canister filter. My oldest one is going on two years strong! I love these things. Slim, easy to hide, auto shutoff if water gets low or you forget to unplug during water change, and the temp display is on the controller on the cord.

I'll second the HiTauing heater.  I bought the 200w 2 years ago and it's been going strong. Though I still hedge my bets with an inkbird because I don't trust any heater.  

On 1/30/2024 at 12:15 PM, Cory said:

I do see the affection. It was a hard choice for sure. However for our reputation it made sense to get out. The people who liked to trash talk the heaters did so daily. People who liked them mostly kept quiet except for website reviews. Unfortunately someone who has a bad experience tells many people, people who have a good experience tells a few people.

I've been thinking about this since you made that decision.  How about putting it on the member only merch so it's available to a more receptive audience. Put whatever caveats at the top, even remove the description to minimal.   If you can, turn it off from search, so you have to know where to find it. Then you can clear your inventory, people who are the most supportive can buy a good heater and everyone wins.

I think I'm also just kind of concerned that removing it because of the Internet is problematic. I get it, but on the other hand, the Internet is ambivalent on a good day and a straight up hate machine on the norm.  It seems impossible to release anything if you get hung up on forums. 

Edited by Lonkley

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve had three of them two of them went bad in less then a mo something is wrong with the quality control

there’s another company that makes a heater that looks almost exactly like it

IMG_9285.jpeg