breeding betta need advice

OmniPrincess

I was trying to breed a female crowntail to a male long finned samurai betta I tried to condition them with high protein food slowly introducing them first in cups then in a tank with a divider letting them check each other out and get used to each other they seemed very interested in one another but after a good while of conditioning them I let the female into the tank after feeding them some bloodworms beforehand my female crowntail started to chase my male samurai I realize that it is normal for bettas to fuss at each other but once she calmed down my male samurai started to charge her and ram her he bit her tail and ripped out a piece it got to the point where she tried to jump out of the tank so I removed her for her safety I am new to this I haven't bred bettas for at least 10 years the last time I did it went very smoothly with no problems like this at all and that breeding pair was with a male crowntail and a solid red hmpk I'm not sure what to do any advice would be very appreciated 

Edited by OmniPrincess
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

@OmniPrincess here are a sequence of photos and videos:

I purchased two cheap PetSmart Betta splendens. My goal was to get a successful spawn... just for bragging rights!

This is the Betta breeding shelf in my fishroom. I breed them in the locking Sterilite containers:

IMG_5260.jpeg.463e85bde423c08ef933043ae5

Here's the male:

IMG_5254.jpeg.ef3189ca71a85d93dccb096248

Here's the female (note: she is long-finned, double / split-tail):

IMG_5259.jpeg.8e9914b3a2935d48d9976baa52

Here's the pre-spawning setup:

Here I caught them embracing during spawn. I leave the lights on during spawning and all the way for several days until fry are free-swimming. He definitely ripped her up a bit beforehand:

Moved female out, and male stays vigilant guarding the eggs in the nest:

Male moved out, and here's a look at first fry:

Plan for building a "port" to maintain humidity, but allow for feeding:

Feeding Vinegar Eels through port:

Harvesting banana worms:

12/28/2023 - Fry Check:

01/06/2024 - Fry check:

01/20/2024 - Fry Development:

Draining water from fry tub:

Daphnia feeding for Betta fry:

• Like 1