Fish Tuberculosis Fears

Mercfh

So i've just gotten into the hobby (have a 55G and a 29G) and honestly after reading this...it's got me a little freaked out.
First of all, i've def. stuck my arm in the aquarium water (Although it was newer tanks with newer fish) when i've had little knicks/cuts (nothing deep, although im not immunocompromised). So im scared of myself getting it of course (Even though it doesn't sound deadly it doesn't seem great)

The second part is more scary: If my fish/tank gets it people basically say you have to throw everything away? But there is also conflicting information saying most tanks have SOME of it everywhere? It'd suck to toss away 800$ worth of equipment for a disease....so im almost regretting my decision getting into fishkeeping.
Am I being too paranoid?
  • Like 1

It is something to be aware of. One write up on it is this here.

Three keys: (1) chances of getting it are low (2) antibiotics typically are effective at eradicating it (3) if properly diagnosed, even at a more advanced stage it is treatable.

• Like 1

It's definitely a valid concern. They do sell gloves to work on tanks and you can use methods to sterilize equipment and reduce risks. Some species can be avoided as well to further reduce risk. Ultimately the key is to really be smart, be safe, protect yourself as well as those in the tank you care for.

I've often stuck my arm in the tank many times a day and the key being to make sure you clean yourself off ans do the things need be in future to keep the you safe.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 2:37 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's definitely a valid concern. They do sell gloves to work on tanks and you can use methods to sterilize equipment and reduce risks. Some species can be avoided as well to further reduce risk. Ultimately the key is to really be smart, be safe, protect yourself as well as those in the tank you care for.

I've often stuck my arm in the tank many times a day and the key being to make sure you clean yourself off and do the things need be in future to keep the you safe.

Are there some species that have it more?

I mean it can't be that common with how many people are sticking their hands in tanks.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 7:43 PM, Mercfh said:

species

Rainbow fish are often cited as being at risk for TB. Bettas or fishes with labyrinth organs, Koi and fancy goldfish as well. 

As a healthcare professional my main take aways have been 1. Don’t put your hand in the tank with an open cut 2. Wash before and after getting into the tank 3. If you’re on immunosuppressant therapy- cancer treatment, autoimmune disease tx, or have a transplanted organ you need to really question your involvement in the hobby and potentially take precautions like gloves etc or just not keep tanks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow, safety first! That's a lot to think about, especially when all of this is supposed to be fun as a hobby or business; like anything else there are dangers to look out for. like anything else, darn it!  I also saw a YouTube video of someone getting a strange skin infection called Mycobacterium marinum that may have been mentioned here in  another place in the forum.  I thought it should be mentioned here, but should not take away from your TB warning.  Thank you!Mycobacterium marinumMycobacterium marinum

i get that fish can contract TB, i have no idea how transferable that is to people as  TB in people is an airborne infection. as someone who has had TB (thanks uncle sams canoe club, and south east asia), it is something youd rather not catch, but its not a death sentence like it once was. like beardedbillygoat mentions, avoid open cuts, and wash after your hands have been in the tank. all kinds of dangers in life, and you can either live in a bubble, or enjoy life using some fairly basic safety precautions.:classic_cool: 

Yeah the reason I even saw this is because I stupidly put my hand in the tank when having a minor cut. Although I guess the risk is low but still gotta be careful for the future.