New Otos!

doink

I brought home a trio of oto's yesterday for my 29 gallon tank. I know a lot has been written/discussed about the viability of oto's, but I trust my LFS (all the fish there look alert, healthy, and well taken care of) and it seems like several times, oto's are already on their way out before being sold. They're pretty shy, but it was encouraging to see two of them already feeding off the glass with what appears to be nice, round bellies.
The owner said the otos basically fed off of algae in the tank. He would also throw in a Xtreme Bottom Wafer (shared with other fish) but wasn't sure if the otos ate the wafers. Should the otos be offered specific algae wafers? Also, any specific plants that seem to encourage more algae growth the otos would like? I have a planted tank but probably have room for another plant.

20240103_183310.jpg

You could try anubius nana  or gold coin. Their broad leaves are a good grazing platform for otos, and usually grow algae. The anubius barteri might get too tall but otherwise has nice broad leaves as well. A nice smooth river stone is also a good choice. 

• Like 1

I have six Otocinclus. I got them in August from Aquahuna. I understand your being nervous… it will go for some days with only seeing one or two, and then they will all come cling to the front glass - to say hi?

I know they eat the Xtreme Bottom Wafers, so I suggest dropping one in the same place every other day. I scoop the leftovers out before I add more.

If you find yourself running out of algae in the tank, you'll definitely want to supplement. Algae wafers can work, although I hear some otos don't care for them. If you want to add more variety to their diet, blanched zucchini or cucumber tends to be well-received.

On 1/4/2024 at 2:59 PM, doink said:

Should the otos be offered specific algae wafers? Also, any specific plants that seem to encourage more algae growth the otos would like?

The "best" ones I've used would be ones where spirulina is a main ingredient. A lot of them have fish meal as a main ingredient and it's not the best for a veggie wafer.

New life spectrum has algaemaxx wafers, but I think a great way to go as well is repashy foods one a week or something. There's a lot of them you can try and they will be very easy for the otos to eat off of. Soilent green, bottom scratcher, super green, and others being the ones I've had success with.

There's a brand ebi I think that has good ones as well.

Just be sure to check ingredients is the main thing.

Also, in terms of plants encouraging algae I think there's a bit of a confusion. Plants don't cause algae, but some plants can be easier for the otos to graze on. It doesn't mean they will, but it's potentially a source of biofilm and food for them. Flat rocks, flat wood, broad leaved flat plants are what makes sense for otos specifically.  Sword plants, some crypts, ferns, anubias, etc.

Edited by nabokovfan87
added plant info