Getting Tropical Again

Billipo

Hey My name is Bill - first post.

I've had aquariums since I was young. Usually just one or two tanks so never to an obsession level. Probably the last 10 years, I have had exclusively wild caught natives (Ohio). I currently have an established 29  gallon species tank with Central Mudminnows. 

Recently set-up my 40 Breeder intended as South American Community Tropical. Tank has 2 Bolivian Rams and 1 German Blue Ram with fish doing well after their first week. Lightly planted, others plants on order expecting soon.

I'm ready to add some more fish so of course, I'm anxious - reading forums, articles, planning my next aquatic moves. Great to be retired!

I try not to over crowd tanks to limit the dreaded water change. 

Here is a rendering I did as a youth of my 5 Gallon tank that was on my desk. For some reason I did not include the 3 blackline tetras that were also in the tank.

5gallontank.jpg.f34d8d3f678d623f826a9b45ac0f1be0.jpg

Edited by Billipo
missing word
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

On 12/29/2023 at 1:33 AM, Schuyler said:

What draws you to mud minnows? Just that they can be collected locally or is there someone more about them specifically? Just curious

Mudminnows have a unique personality which I find very interesting. They hover in ambush position like a tiny pike, but "wag" their fins with the cuteness of an anxious puppy. Mudminnows aren't rare or protected, but not so common around here. I was able to get them through unique circumstances. 

I acquired the recently reinstalled 40 breeder tank to create a temporary educational display at my local library. I stocked the tank with Darters, Dace, Creek Chubs, Madtoms, and Suckers. Accompanying the display, I had educational signage about some of our less appreciated natives and did "Fish Talks" for the kids. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 12/29/2023 at 2:06 AM, Billipo said:

Mudminnows have a unique personality which I find very interesting. They hover in ambush position like a tiny pike, but "wag" their fins with the cuteness of an anxious puppy. Mudminnows aren't rare or protected, but not so common around here. I was able to get them through unique circumstances. 

I acquired the recently reinstalled 40 breeder tank to create a temporary educational display at my local library. I stocked the tank with Darters, Dace, Creek Chubs, Madtoms, and Suckers. Accompanying the display, I had educational signage about some of our less appreciated natives and did "Fish Talks" for the kids. 

@Billipo Welcome aboard 😀 

On 12/28/2023 at 11:06 PM, Billipo said:

Mudminnows have a unique personality which I find very interesting. They hover in ambush position like a tiny pike, but "wag" their fins with the cuteness of an anxious puppy. 

That's fun. I figured there must be something like that for them to have stuck around for so long.

I know @Fish Folk keeps some US native species too