Wanting suggestions

BNols

Hi all. 

I have a planted 55 gallon set up for about 5 months now. 

I have 4 Pearl Gourami and 3 Hillstream Loach. 

I was looking for suggestions on what would look good to add next. I was thinking about a mid to top tank school of tetra, or even another bottom fish like Kuhli’s or Cory. I will be adding different decor for hideaways or just letting the plants do their job 

I'm open to any ideas, or even just general discussion. 

tank for reference (ignore the dirty glass, spilled water from the vac 😅)IMG_6357.jpeg.256d78a9b8c9e51a7e3bcf06ffa1d6d2.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/23/2023 at 10:00 AM, BNols said:

Hi all. 

I have a planted 55 gallon set up for about 5 months now. 

I have 4 Pearl Gourami and 3 Hillstream Loach. 

I was looking for suggestions on what would look good to add next. I was thinking about a mid to top tank school of tetra, or even another bottom fish like Kuhli’s or Cory. I will be adding different decor for hideaways or just letting the plants do their job 

I'm open to any ideas, or even just general discussion. 

tank for reference (ignore the dirty glass, spilled water from the vac 😅)IMG_6357.jpeg.256d78a9b8c9e51a7e3bcf06ffa1d6d2.jpeg

Lovely tank! You could add some long Valisneria Americana grass. I can really fill in the background, or a desired side...

IMG_6035.jpeg.7509ce54ea8a32b6e85ab0cba4922494.jpeg

I always like the way that Roseline Sharks (aka Denison Barbs) look with mid-size Gouramis. I'd study on them a bit. Check here for helpful info. A school of these would be amazing in there...

RoselineSharks.jpeg.87a3a0ca40f7146ed13ef2512cddf20c.jpeg

THIS IS THE WAY 

MANDO.png.b9a1b6395caee7d9370f1e78b0d9aec4.png

• Like 1

I love the look of your tank and can see how amazing it will look once the plants fill in! I will always suggest Kuhli loaches for any community tank but I also love having a school of Striata Botia. They have a great pattern and work well with so many fish. How about Marble Hatchet fish to add some movement at the top of the tank? Maybe a school of Columbian Tetras for the middle? There are so many options out there, it's hard to choose! Please post some pictures as you make additions and the plants grow up.

• Like 1

Could you give your water parameters? This helps determine what fish would work well in your tank.

I have pearl gouramis in my 60 gallon with a red spotted Severum, an Indian peacock eel, some keyhole cichlids, roseline sharks, angelfish, and glass catfish fish.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2023 at 6:26 PM, Fish Folk said:

I always like the way that Roseline Sharks (aka Denison Barbs) look with mid-size Gouramis. I'd study on them a bit. Check here for helpful info. A school of these would be amazing in there...

They are amazing. I love the golden ones even more( I haven't looked at their coloration souce in depth, so I hope it is natural and just selective breeding, idk?)! But I have to mention that they get quite big. My LFS has some in their display tank and they are both thick and big. Seriouslyfish says 9-11cm but there is no way my LFS ones are that small. They are almost the size of my hand. I think they need fairly big tank considering they also like a big school. My LFS ones look like the big ones in this video

I would lean towards some bottom dwellers other than kuhlis or some other fish that would love to graze on that wood piece. Kuhlis are adorable but seeing them is very hard if the tank is properly set up because they will happily hide 😄 Corydoras, whiptails and bristlenoses(don't hide a lot like other plecos, especially females) would be a better choice to see them more.

For schooling fish, I really want diamond tetras or congo tetras sometime. But I have no experience with them yet. They are not small so it is hard to find a good tank to fit a nice size group for me as my biggest tank is 180 liters but I have goldfish there

I would add 3 SAEs.  They are funny and helpful when it comes to algae eating. Make sure to find true SAE if you will get any.

• Like 1

I like the look of the tank!

I second the Rummynose and kuhli loach suggestions. I think those are amazon swords in the left corner, so maybe rethink plecos if you had your sights set on them.

Have you considered adding some floating plants? Maybe frogbit? It would add a different dimension to the tank.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:56 PM, PotatoFish said:

Have you considered adding some floating plants? Maybe frogbit? It would add a different dimension to the tank

I have! I currently don’t have any but I do have a floater corral I’ll be using. Was thinking either red root or frog bit! 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 7:40 AM, BNols said:

I have! I currently don’t have any but I do have a floater corral I’ll be using. Was thinking either red root or frog bit! 

I don't have experience with red root, but frog bit is an easy plant that I enjoy seeing in my aquariums. With frog bit, they have this jelly/spongy underside to the leaves that snails seemed to like a lot, so that might give you problems if you don't have something to keep snail populations in check.

On 12/31/2023 at 12:07 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

rummynose Rasbora (very beautiful and calm)

sawbwas want much cooler water than pearl gouramis do so I think that's not very ideal. Also females have no color and males don't usually look like what are shown to be in the pictures from what I understand. My friend brought some but once I made more research I quit the idea of buying some, first being the temperature and second being them not actually looking like what internet shows you. Which is no suprise because pics online and some videos/lights sometimes make fish seem extremely colorful. I remember the first time I saw CPDs irl after seeing them online and in some videos. I was kinda shocked