Advice on a restoring a free street aquarium?

thecuttywren

Hi all, First post here. 

Just picked up a 55 gallon (standard dimensions) acrylic tank from a neighbor who left it on the corner. I'm considering transferring my existing 46 gallon bowfront to the 55, as the 46 was bought used and is pretty scratched up, and the old owner took off the center brace, which I replaced with a couple strips of acrylic epoxied onto the rim (it's worked for a few years but has always scared me).

However, the 55 is a little odd, and there are some potential problems.

1. Acrylic tank. Seems like a really nice tank, but it has deep scratches on the outside of the side panels from being left on the curb
  2. The top is heavily tinted black. Not sure how this will effect lighting
  3. The top has very small openings. Largest are 4.75" x 14.5". Probably great for ropefish or octopus, but less than ideal for planting and putting in rocks and wood.

I've done some research, and (once I leak test) plan to use an auto headlight scratch removal drill kit, like Zenzo did in this video: Removing Scratches from Acrylic Aquarium. Luckily, there don't seem to be any scratches on the front panel, so I'm not too worried about making it perfect.

My questions for the community:

1. Any tips on scratch removal?
  2. Will the tinted top be too difficult for lighting a low tech tank?
  3. What tools would I need to enlarge the openings on top? I'm a renter with limited space, so I am not able to buy any large power tools.
  4. I am looking at the cheaper metal / particle board stands on amazon like this one, as I'm on a budget and don't have the tools to make a stand. Anyone have any personal experience with these?
  5. What do people use for lids for acrylic aquarium?
  6. Is this all too much trouble and should I just buy a new glass tank for ~$150?

Pictures of the 46 and the new tank.

20230804_141813.jpg

20231219_110936.jpg

20231219_111000.jpg

20231219_111023.jpg

Edited by thecuttywren
revised
  • Love 1

With acrylic you can only polish out so many scratches before it gets too thin. Just something to keep in mind.

There are likely a ton of videos or articles out there with people who have done it a few times and would be able to determine where that line is.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:36 AM, thecuttywren said:

Is this all too much trouble and should I just buy a new glass tank for ~$150?

55G tank on sale wouldn't be that expensive, but I hear you. You can also look into the 60B or 75G if the stand situation makes sense.

What do people use for lids for acrylic aquarium?

They have lids out of polycarbonate as well as mesh / net lids.

You can always just clean it and let it sit until you're ready to take up the repair tasks or other things with the stand.

That tank is worth a few hundred dollars even in less than ideal condition. Scratching my head as to why your neighbor didn’t try to sell it….

Acrylic is very easy to restore. Just like headlights even the deepest scratches can be restored with liquid plastics and some novus acrylic buff and polish products. I would rent a polisher from a hardware store and buy novus on amazon. Looks like so:

IMG_4015.jpeg.2d8d810a38108b34f49ef796d6cbe25a.jpeg

If I recall the dark tint black is to reduce glare as the light is meant to be mounted inside the tank. There are special waterproof cased LEDs you will have to consider. But I think you can get freshwater ones for around $40 for 32” light bar. The suction cups suck, do be aware. I just replaced them with cheap suction cups you can find at most general stores.

You don’t need a lid, the tank is the lid.

Dont enlarge the holes keep it as is. The holes are meant for feeding and equipment. The idea is you invest in robotic or magnetic algae scrubbers and don’t ever reach in there other than initially to setup the tank.

Again I can’t stress this enough that tank was around $600 new at it’s absolute cheapest and depending on brand, it is well worth the time investment and elbow grease even if your goal is to flip it.

Good luck!

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Thanks for the advice, I think I will try to fix the scratches and sell the tank on cl. Seems like it would be better for someone who doesn't want plants, as the lighting will be complicated by the tinted top. I'll update with results of the scratch repair.

@Biotope Biologist what kind of polisher would you recommend? I was just planning on using a drill.

• Like 1

• What tools would I need to enlarge the openings on top? I'm a renter with limited space, so I am not able to buy any large power tools.

Don't. That's structure. Also your tank needs to sit on a solid surface, not just edges like rimmed glass.

Ideally you should find a light hood to place over each opening.

You can get a new cheap glass tank, but assuming it holds water, you have a better one there.

The hygger gooseneck lights would probably be a good fit for that tank, they make a 10" and 14" that just clamp on. I had to glue standoffs onto the mine as the lip was to wide, but they are a great looking light on a tank lift that.  And I think around 30 bucks. Excuse my mess that needs to be organized and tied up!

20231219_185505.jpg

On 12/20/2023 at 10:35 AM, thecuttywren said:

@Biotope Biologist what kind of polisher would you recommend? I was just planning on using a drill.

You could use a drill but a rotary polisher moves in a motion that helps to mitigate swirling and other such defects and is easier to operate for long uses. 

I say it’s easy because it’s not a lot of skill involved, it’s not ferrari paint. But it will be time consuming depending on the scratches. 

here is what you’re looking for. Or honestly a smaller handheld one would probably be better

IMG_4016.jpeg.5e043f4bd444921e0b95c97b0160fcbd.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/19/2023 at 2:36 PM, thecuttywren said:
  1. Is this all too much trouble and should I just buy a new glass tank for ~$150?

Do you enjoy doing this kind of work? Personally I enjoy restoring hardwood floors, I find it very rewarding. Polish that tank up and it will look far better than a  Aqueon glass tank, I love the curved corners on acrylic tanks.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

I'm still wavering, as it's a tough decision, but i think I will try to restore the acrylic 55g (48" L x 13" D x 21" H) and sell it, and buy a 60 breeder (48" L X 18" W X 16") which is $100 at my local petco right now, to replace my 46g bowfront (36" x 12-16 "x 21").

Though this tank is undeniably a couple classes above an aqueon glass tank in terms of aesthetics and weight, I like the dimensions of the 60 breeder better, as it has more depth and is shallower. Additionally, I want to start by using the same 36" light I'm using, and only upgrading if the plants need it, so the tinted top of the 55 would be a problem.

I'm constrained from living in an apartment, so I don't have a real workspace or room for power tools, so I don't have the ideal tools for cutting the top opening larger, plus I'm technically not supposed to have a tank larger than 50 gallons, otherwise I'd absolutely go up to a 75g.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to anyone interested. Used Novus 3 and 2 (the heavier and medium scratch removers) with a sponge attachment to a drill. Worked very well on the scuffs and scrapes, and some of the lighter scratches. I probably could have spent another few hours to get the deeper scratches, but didn't bother. Bought a 60g aqueon from petco for $85. Pretty low quality control. They used a huge amount of silicone, and there are blobs and strings of silicone and silicone residue that I spent a couple hours cleaning off with a razor blade and a melamine foam eraser. Almost made me want to buy a new acrylic tank with the same dimensions as the 60g, but for $85, I can't complain.