What is the last movie you watched that....

nabokovfan87

Hey all,

A genuine question.

What is the last movie you watched that changed your life? 

I don't want to add too much subtext here or answer what that meaning to the question is for anyone. I will have to ponder it for myself and think on it as well.

Please feel free to share. If you wish to share why as well, that is entirely welcome.

Many thanks.

I watched Leave the World Behind on Netflix.  It may not have changed my life, per se, but it scared the pee-doodle out of me.  After the movie, I sat for an hour worrying if we'd even make it to the end of this year.  I suggest something more cheerful to end 2023 with.  God bless us all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is going to take a lot of pondering.  Until I come up with one:

I've always had an unreasonable fear of swimming at night.  It may have begun after watching the original Piranha. A pair of late night hikers unknowingly jump into a swimming pool full of Piranha.  It hasn't stopped me, I know that I'm the biggest fish in the pond, but I still think about that movie.🙄  Watching the new trailer for Night Swim doesn't help. 

• Like 1

Last one that really resonated a long time with me was Into the Wild. I have had more that have since, but that one really got to my core. Many documentaries do that to me, but definitely Chris McCandless' story was one I read and seeing it in film, the way it was shot by Sean Penn(the director), was pretty incredible to see. Often times I wish I could just leave it all behind and walk alone into the wild. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2023 at 12:45 PM, Shadow said:

Last one that really resonated a long time with me was Into the Wild. I have had more that have since, but that one really got to my core. Many documentaries do that to me, but definitely Chris McCandless' story was one I read and seeing it in film, the way it was shot by Sean Penn(the director), was pretty incredible to see. Often times I wish I could just leave it all behind and walk alone into the wild. 

Right alongside there, check out the book walden as well as the book wild.  There is also a movie with Reese Witherspoon for the latter, wild.  It's so well done.  Into the wild is a great film, absolutely.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Love 1

On 12/18/2023 at 2:45 PM, Shadow said:

Last one that really resonated a long time with me was Into the Wild.

Oh, yes, now that you mention it, "Into the Wild" greatly affected me, as well.  Eddie Vedder did the soundtrack and he's my "main man".  It all just fit together perfect and broke many of our hearts.  💔

q4EjsQC-3498690062.jpg.b4c1de442371dcd1bde8b32cbfaa2bdd.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

It's an oldie and fairly unknown, but The Power of One (1992), an adaptation based on the 1989 novel of the same name by Bryce Courtenay. Low score on Rotten Tomatoes, but you can disregard that. IMHO.

Stars Steven Dorff, and Morgan Freeman is in it, along with Daniel Craig's first movie appearance. 

It's worth watching for the sound track alone. 

Emotionally heavy content (apartheid, racism), maybe not for kiddies unless you've screened it first. 

• Like 1

I don't know if it changed my life, but a movie I couldn't stop watching in my early teens was "The Last Picture Show", released in 1971, directed by Peter Bogdanovich. I takes place in a God forgotten town in Texas, the nearest big town is Wichita and the time period is in the 1950's. It's in black and white and I watched it on a VCR, yes I'm that old. The town is dying, hence the name, the movie theater is about to close. The portraying of the people is fantastic work. Their small town interactions, the social control for better or worse. Everybody knows everybody. It may seem a bit strange that a 14 year old Swedish girl could relate to the movie, I learned every line. Think I watched it over 15 times.I recommend it.

Edited by Vanessa K
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 5:45 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Right alongside there, check out the book walden as well as the book wild.  There is also a movie with Reese Witherspoon for the latter, wild.  It's so well done.  Into the wild is a great film, absolutely.

Seen Wild and I have hiked a chunk of the PCT. I use to be a climber, but I hike still a couple times a year. If you are into documentaries, highly recommend Mile Mile & a Half. I have always wanted to hike the entire John Muir Trail. One day. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 10:15 AM, Flipper said:

Oh, yes, now that you mention it, "Into the Wild" greatly affected me, as well.  Eddie Vedder did the soundtrack and he's my "main man".  It all just fit together perfect and broke many of our hearts.  💔

q4EjsQC-3498690062.jpg.b4c1de442371dcd1bde8b32cbfaa2bdd.jpg

Such a great soundtrack!!! He won an Oscar for it I believe as well. I am a big Pearl Jam and Vedder fan as my teenage years were aligned perfectly with the release of 'Ten'. 🙂 

On 12/19/2023 at 8:49 PM, Shadow said:

Such a great soundtrack!!! He won an Oscar for it I believe as well. I am a big Pearl Jam and Vedder fan as my teenage years were aligned perfectly with the release of 'Ten'. 🙂 

Such a perfect song...gives me goosebumps. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:49 PM, Shadow said:

Such a perfect song...gives me goosebumps. 

@Shadow  I agree, just perfect.  Perfect lyrics and so heartfelt.  I can feel it in my soul.

So glad Eddie's voice evolved to better enunciate.  That was my only complaint of early PJ; my old 70s "live concert ears" strained until I memorized all the words, of course.  Loved their MTV Unplugged video.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 6:17 PM, Flipper said:

@Shadow  I agree, just perfect.  Perfect lyrics and so heartfelt.  I can feel it in my soul.

So glad Eddie's voice evolved to better enunciate.  That was my only complaint of early PJ; my old 70s "live concert ears" strained until I memorized all the words, of course.  Loved their MTV Unplugged video.

Yea its a great Unplugged, although Alice In Chains, The Cure then Nirvana are all my personal faves. 

• Like 3

On 12/19/2023 at 9:39 PM, Shadow said:

I use to be a climber,

Check out Valley Uprising  Not strictly a climbing moviethe movie covers the early climbing 'scene' in the Yosemite Valley.  Depending on how long ago you climbed, you may recognize some of the names.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 8:43 AM, Tanked said:

Check out Valley Uprising  Not strictly a climbing moviethe movie covers the early climbing 'scene' in the Yosemite Valley.  Depending on how long ago you climbed, you may recognize some of the names.

If there is a climbing film I haven't seen, it would be a surprise. I watch A LOT of documentary film, especially concentrated on climbing and mountaineering. Valley Uprising is a legendary story of the OG crew that first ascended El Cap. I have climbed El Cap and Half Dome. Yosemite is a love of mine. 

If you are into climbing/mountaineering films, here's a list for you....

Mile Mile & a Half
The Dawn Wall
Free Solo(Oscar winner and directed by one my idols, Jimmy Chin)
14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible
The Alpinist 
Meru(also starring and directed by Jimmy Chin)
180 Degrees South
ANY of the yearly Reel Rock films(the last 3 or 4 years have featured some incredible short docs, which is what Reel Rock is made up of each year)

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 7:55 AM, Shadow said:

If there is a climbing film I haven't seen, it would be a surprise. I watch A LOT of documentary film, especially concentrated on climbing and mountaineering. Valley Uprising is a legendary story of the OG crew that first ascended El Cap. I have climbed El Cap and Half Dome. Yosemite is a love of mine. 

If you are into climbing/mountaineering films, here's a list for you....

Mile Mile & a Half
The Dawn Wall
Free Solo(Oscar winner and directed by one my idols, Jimmy Chin)
14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible
The Alpinist 
Meru(also starring and directed by Jimmy Chin)
180 Degrees South
ANY of the yearly Reel Rock films(the last 3 or 4 years have featured some incredible short docs, which is what Reel Rock is made up of each year)

I've seen the Dawn Wall, Free Solo, and some of the Reel Rock pieces, mostly Alex Honnold.

I started climbing in my mid-twenties, after meeting a good friend who ran a climbing shop out of the back of his car/home.  I have been on a couple of easier Half Dome routes, but a strong sense of self preservation kept me (us) from getting too adventurous.