Hello from Cleveland, Ohio

David W

It's really Medina Ohio which is pretty close to Cleveland. It seems like there are lots of Clevelanders and Ohioans frequenting the forums. 

Growing up in the 80's my Dad had a few fish tanks. Some community tanks and the quintessential 55 gal Oscar tanks. I always loved watching the fish and ended up  doing most of the care. As an adult, I realize that we had no Idea how anything was supposed to work and got a lot of bad advice from the LFS. It wasn't quite as easy to research as it is today. 

A few years ago I decided to give it a try again. I attempted an Mbuna tank. I researched a bit, had an understanding of the Nitrogen cycle and basic needs of the fish. I did have a good grasp on managing the aggression. I upgraded tank size, tried a few different stocking combinations, but it eventually turned into another bad Highlander sequel, "There can only be one". 

Fast forward to 2020, I decided to  try again, but with more friendly easy going community. I spent much more time on you tube and forums learning this time. I have a much better understanding of water parameters, and determining what fish and plants would work well for my water and me. Since July, I have moved the lone Yellow Lab to a 40 gallon tank, where he hangs out with a Pleco, Got a 60 gallon planted tank with Murry River Rainbows, Ottos and Corys and a 10 gallon with a Betta and some neons.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she has spent more time in the basement looking at the fish, than she has for anything else in the past 8 years. 

My next adventure is a cherry shrimp tank. It is so much fun planning hard scape and plants. The familiar looking sponge filter in the picture is being seeded for the shrimp. 

I wanted to say thank you to Cory and the community here for providing great information. You have all helped me transition from a guy with a fish tank to a fish keeper.   

IMG_1163.jpg.e5e9c44327c86d2fd657d04a756679ce.jpgIMG_1165.jpg.da82bf24e93b78736436c71aa40d15ba.jpg

• Like 3

Really nice tanks, @David W! Welcome to the forum. We are happy to have you here. 

I know the learning curve is pretty steep when re-entering this hobby. We experienced the same thing as we hadn't kept fish since the early 2000s. Amazing how much new knowledge there is in less than 20 years! And I totally agree that Cory and the team from Aquarium Co-Op do a great job getting that info out to us. 

Jump right in when you feel comfortable!