Yay! Signs of shrimp!

Harpsandfish

🤣🤣🤣So glad I’m not the only one!! The thing I mind the most is the worry about accidentally sucking them up when I vacuum the gravel. I’m pretty sure they’re under a couple of largish rocks which eventually I will need to clean under. I’ll have to pick the rocks up and apologize profusely for the disturbance, I guess!

Just wait until you go to move or trim a plant and one of those amanos has grown into a 3 inch monster and grabs onto your hand. I may have peed a little when that happened...but pretty sure it was just tank water all over me when I freaked out.

If you don't see them for a few months, they are likely just waiting to prank you 😉 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Harpsandfish said:

Umm...because I thought I was supposed to? I am new to this and I thought I was supposed to vacuum about 1/3 of the gravel at each water change. Not so?

Thanks!

If you have live plants, the mulm and detritus can contribute nutrients for the plants, and provide biofilm snacks for the shrimp, as well as other bottom feeders.

Cheers!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Harpsandfish said:

Umm...because I thought I was supposed to? I am new to this and I thought I was supposed to vacuum about 1/3 of the gravel at each water change. Not so?

Thanks!

Many people do gravel vacuum, but  I am one of the people who use the mulm as a part of my biofiltration. I can't prove it helps to leave the mulm and debris, but it sure looks like biological gold to me. Plus the last time I looked at mulm under the microscope, among other things, it had tiny baby cherry shrimp in it.

I suspect part of the reason for gravel vacuuming is aesthetics (and there is nothing wrong with that).

• Like 2