Gold Laser Corys Spawning

Shadow

I've moved most all my gold laser corys to my new 40 gal and when I did they spawned almost immediately. Before they hid a lot during the day, now they are dancing up and down the tank like my Sterbai nonstop. There are eggs all over the tank...good think here is this tank is not super populated with snails and only has two juvenile Green Smoke Angels in it. None of the eggs are all the way white, not an expert so was hoping someone could confirm if they are fertile or not? 

They are on several areas of the glass and all over leaves of the plants throughout the tank. All look pretty much the same as these. 48+ hours going(this pic was from yesterday). 

image.jpeg.dabb858180fee0984be65b350a4214de.jpeg

• Love 1

On 12/7/2023 at 7:49 PM, Odd Duck said:

What’s your tank temp?  If your temp is low they could be slow to develop.  If your temp is at least 76, they’re very likely not fertile

Yea its at 76 and I never saw movement. Prob the new Angels in it had a snack. Never know if there were some that were... last two times I thought they weren't I ended up with a fry showing up. 🤣

• Like 1

A lot of times you'll get some practicing.  It is what it is!  The female might be just getting rid of eggs and she was in the mood or it's a sign there isn't enough breeder males in the tank.  Don't change anything, give her another chance, and you're likely perfect.

From elsewhere on the internet, here is some known fertile ones, notice the grey inside:
image.png.cd3f554296e59823d226c70d34c33b91.png

Someone can correct me here if I misspeak please!

cloudy / opaque = unfertile
clear = fertile

image-56735d1bfef0e0fe57eac0bdee8498b6_v_1517418019.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 2:00 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

A lot of times you'll get some practicing.  It is what it is!  The female might be just getting rid of eggs and she was in the mood or it's a sign there isn't enough breeder males in the tank.  Don't change anything, give her another chance, and you're likely perfect.

From elsewhere on the internet, here is some known fertile ones, notice the grey inside:
image.png.cd3f554296e59823d226c70d34c33b91.png

Someone can correct me here if I misspeak please!

cloudy / opaque = unfertile
clear = fertile

image-56735d1bfef0e0fe57eac0bdee8498b6_v_1517418019.jpg

My camera isnt the best on my phone, but the eggs I had were clear with small masses in the tops or bottoms of each. The ones on the leaves turned amber colored as well. Only had two very small angels in there, so not sure if they got them all but when I came back the day after I posted this many were gone and all that was there was a slight remnant of the egg sacks. Not seeing any fry in there. Also this is the same female and two males that have produced my two fry that are now juveniles. I started with 5 gl corys in my OG tank, one didnt make it very soon after they arrived and another jumped out of the tank after my move....the two newest ones were spawned in the tank I removed them from and broke down. Was hoping this big spawn would yield me more fry....oh well, maybe soon. I added 3 juvenile red laser corys in there as well to try and get some of both maybe. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 11:45 AM, Shadow said:

Also this is the same female and two males that have produced my two fry that are now juveniles. I started with 5 gl corys in my OG tank, one didnt make it very soon after they arrived and another jumped out of the tank after my move....the two newest ones were spawned in the tank I removed them from and broke down. Was hoping this big spawn would yield me more fry....oh well, maybe soon. I added 3 juvenile red laser corys in there as well to try and get some of both maybe. 

Both my pandas and my black schultzei, similar stories and they got themselves back up to 30-50 strong.  I've bred more than enough to recover the losses, but it just always happens where I start with the best of intentions and then something happens and I'm down to 3 fish, 1 female. 

I'll be working on trying to balance that out, sell some, get the $$ to be able to get more genetics.  I wanted to share that just to say, there is definitely hope!  Give them time and just keep doing exactly what you're doing.  Reading articles I can make some recommendations on triggering them, but from what you're doing they are already breeding for you.  Something like increased protein, feeding some repashy bottom scratcher, might be the one final tick to get the males to withstand the breeding efforts.  It just takes time and practice.  As long as you're seeing eggs, I think you're golden though.

(or maybe some repashy spawn and grow!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, Shadow said:

Yea its at 76 and I never saw movement. Prob the new Angels in it had a snack. Never know if there were some that were... last two times I thought they weren't I ended up with a fry showing up. 🤣

You never know when a cory fry is going to pop out of the ‘woodwork”.  I have plenty of egg eaters in my nanofish 100G and still get just enough young cories to keep the population steady to slowly growing.  I can get many, many more if I collect eggs, but right now I’m happy to just let them do their thing.

• Like 2