Doryichthys Martensii Pipefish

Tlindsey

Have a young pair that I ordered from the Wetspot Tropical Fish. 

The pipefish spawned about 3 weeks ago.  Don't think the eggs were placed properly or secured because the eggs all released prematurely. This time noticed a difference of the pouch looks covered 😆 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the 70s my dad operated a small-time shrimp boat to catch live bait for my grandfather's bait shop. We used to catch pipefish by the ga-jillions in the shrimp nets (which we would promptly put back into the water).

No idea what species they were (they were in the eel grass flats of a saltwater bay in NJ -- northern pipefish maybe?).

Either way, long story short, the pictures of these fish bring me waaaaaay back on the nostalgia train.

Thanks for sharing!  Good luck breeding them. Looking forward to more posts! 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 5:49 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Back in the 70s my dad operated a small-time shrimp boat to catch live bait for my grandfather's bait shop. We used to catch pipefish by the ga-jillions in the shrimp nets (which we would promptly put them back into the water).

No idea what species they were (they were also in the eel grass flats of a saltwater bay in NJ -- northern pipefish maybe?).

Either way, long story short, the pictures of these fish bring me waaaaaay back on the nostalgia on the nostalgia train.

Thanks for sharing!  Good luck breeding them. Looking forward to more posts! 

@tolstoy21 I'll definitely keep posting 😃 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Those fish are amazing.

I wanted to try saltwater tank ones but they require a specific diet and tank design from what I know. For this reason they are limiting when it comes to tankmates too

Can you please provide an indepth caring guide whenever you have time? Im very interested.

On 6/18/2024 at 10:12 AM, Lennie said:

Those fish are amazing.

I wanted to try saltwater tank ones but they require a specific diet and tank design from what I know. For this reason they are limiting when it comes to tankmates too

Can you please provide an indepth caring guide whenever you have time? Im very interested.

My experience of caring for the pipefish comes from keeping seahorses many years ago. The key to keeping pipefish isn't that hard for the experienced fishkeeping hobbyist imo. The most important thing is providing a daily supply of live food. I rotate 2 hobby brine shrimp hatcheries daily for 2 small species of pipefish is more than enough. I feed them at 7 am  and  after 10 am. that's enough for them the rest of the day. Timing for light is 7am to 3 pm. Also keeping parameters in order is also important. During water changes I actually use a floating thermometer to make sure the temperature almost match the aquarium water. Before I got the pipefish the 40 breeder had been up and running for around 8 years. The aquarium had a couple of plants at that time been adding more anubias and Java fern. I recently added cherry shrimp so far so good.  @Lennie

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/18/2024 at 7:40 PM, Tlindsey said:

My experience of caring for the pipefish comes from keeping seahorses many years ago. The key to keeping pipefish isn't that hard for the experienced fishkeeping hobbyist imo. The most important thing is providing a daily supply of live food. I rotate 2 hobby brine shrimp hatcheries daily for 2 small species of pipefish is more than enough. I feed them at 7 am  and  after 10 am. that's enough for them the rest of the day. Timing for light is 7am to 3 pm. Also keeping parameters in order is also important. During water changes I actually use a floating thermometer to make sure the temperature almost match the aquarium water. Before I got the pipefish the 40 breeder had been up and running for around 8 years. The aquarium had a couple of plants at that time been adding more anubias and Java fern. I recently added cherry shrimp so far so good.  @Lennie

Thank you

seahorses are also amazing creatures

they accept only live food? Not even frozen? 😞

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 1:57 PM, Lennie said:

Thank you

seahorses are also amazing creatures

they accept only live food? Not even frozen? 😞

I weaned my seahorses off live adult brine to frozen mysis shrimp. The Doryichthys Martensii mouth is to small for mysis imo. I do have a can of frozen  cyclops but not accepted lol. I may try again when I'm on vacation.

We looked into dwarf seahorses for what became Mrs. Goldfish's pea puffer tank, but decided against them because all the research said they need daily live baby brine shrimp, and I like to go on vacation from time to time.

• Like 1