Easy Flow Kit Available Now

GoofyGarra

I set this one up on a medium sponge filter. It's in a 20gal long, so the tank is a little shallow. Still experimenting... The flow is definitely unrestricted without haveing to go thru an airstone. It really flows!  It is louder. 

I'm guessing when ordering the new sponge filters, they have the option to either be set up with the easy flow kit or an airstone?  

20231203_082957.jpg

20231203_084050.jpg

• Administrators
On 12/1/2023 at 1:17 PM, AndyP said:

I placed an order for 2 kits and a sponge filter.

The sponge filter shipped, but the upgrade kits have not.

I like that you eliminate the need for an airstone if you use these kits?

Anyone know if these will fit on other brands of sponge filters? I currently have an Aquarium Technologies coarse sponge filter I have been running for years that I would love to retrofit with one of these. I have a Coop sponge filter also, but that's in a box. This one is running and seeded.

Did Aquarium Coop make a video about these?  I can't find one on YouTube.

The ATI sponges in my testing, you can hulkamania them onto their bullseye. But it's not a simple thing that I'd advertise. It's a tight fit but can work.

On 12/3/2023 at 8:09 PM, Matt B said:

I set this one up on a medium sponge filter. It's in a 20gal long, so the tank is a little shallow. Still experimenting... The flow is definitely unrestricted without haveing to go thru an airstone. It really flows!  It is louder. 

I'm guessing when ordering the new sponge filters, they have the option to either be set up with the easy flow kit or an airstone?  

20231203_082957.jpg

20231203_084050.jpg

If you use the curved piece it'll be quieter than any other sponge filter in my testing. However in your short tank, you'll need to cut down the pipes with a pipe cutter to use the bent tube as well.

On 12/4/2023 at 6:56 AM, TMartins said:

Will using the curved piece provide enough water surface agitation to oxygenate the water as an air stone would do??

I haven't had one of these, yet.  But I can't imagine it wouldn't considering it's doing basically the same thing.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 3:17 PM, Matt B said:

Ok, so I used a multi tool to do this.... :classic_laugh:. I'm such a hack!  Anyway, with some cuts here and there and a little light sanding to clean up the cuts. This is what I came up with! :classic_biggrin: Definitely some options with all the bits and pieces! :classic_laugh:

Definitely not the right tool! 😂

From the PC modding side of things this helps a lot to clean up the cuts:

Inner Outer Reamer Manual Pipe Reamer PVC Copper Tube PETG Acrylic Tubing Chamfer Tool Pipe Deburring Chamfering Tool https://a.co/d/1438AcH

The normal cutting tool would be something like:

DURATECH Mini Tubing Cutter 1/8"-3/4"(3-19MM), Copper, Aluminum, Brass And Plastic Tubing Compact Cutter, With Replacement Wheel https://a.co/d/bJEvebu

There's a few models and kits and all that.  I purely post this for the sake of if someone wants to clean things up or cut the parts with less of a risk of injury! By all means, use what you got.

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:50 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@AndyP Now I guess I just hoard all these air stones for “when I might need them” knowing full well I should never need them? Lol. 

I have a bunch of the coop never clog airstones.  And they clog.  You can easily disassemble them and clean the felt pads and they come back to life. But it's a bit of a pain.

I assume with these new rings, if they ever "clog," it's just mineral deposits and I can just soak them in some vinegar to bring them back to life?

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 4:05 PM, Cory said:

Here is the video on how to assemble, and modify in case people miss it on the product page.

Why is this video unlisted?

Maybe another channel on YouTube with videos about your products?

• Administrators
On 12/6/2023 at 1:40 PM, AndyP said:

Why is this video unlisted?

Maybe another channel on YouTube with videos about your products?

Most of our product videos are unlisted. If we publish them some people complain that we are advertising too much. So they live on our product pages. @AndyP

On 12/6/2023 at 1:57 PM, TeeJay said:

Just thought I would throw this out there. A small video I made of the flow from the new kit and how it looks. @Cory

I see a few bubbles escaping behind the outflow tube. Is that coming from the sponge filter? Shouldn't be any bubbles escaping like that, just want to see if it's installed right or if something is going wrong etc. @TeeJay

On 12/6/2023 at 5:02 PM, Cory said:

Most of our product videos are unlisted. If we publish them some people complain that we are advertising too much. So they live on our product pages. @AndyP

I see a few bubbles escaping behind the outflow tube. Is that coming from the sponge filter? Shouldn't be any bubbles escaping like that, just want to see if it's installed right or if something is going wrong etc. @TeeJay

Ah yes I see what your saying. A small stream of them are coming out around where the curved tube is going into the next tube down. I'm thinking maybe I used one size to small tube between the curved pipe and the main tube attached to the top of the filter. User error on my part 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, AndyP said:

I have a bunch of the coop never clog airstones.  And they clog.  You can easily disassemble them and clean the felt pads and they come back to life. But it's a bit of a pain.

Yup. For years I’ve been taking apart air stones, cleaning the felt pads, putting them back together, and reattaching to the sponge filter on a weekly basis. This is the main reason I’m stoked for these kits! The flow is just the added bonus.