I have this algae on my substrate in the front of my tank. I have Fluval Stratum substrate thus cannot vacuum it like gravel. It seems to be slowly spreading and I want to contain it. Is this Blue Green algae and should I do anything specific to remove it?

My current params - 
Temp - 78 degrees F
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 20ppm
Nitrite - 0
GH - 150
KH - 10
PH - ~7.2

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

Spot dose H2O2, 15ml per 10 gallons. Turn off all pumps, use a larger syringe and just paint the areas. It will vigorously bubble after a few seconds, let it do its thing and after 20 minutes turn all your pumps back on, you can repeat this process every 24 hours.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 11:38 AM, schmofam said:

So it is Blue Green Algae? Do you know why  (which conditions) it appears?

It looks like it. So I’ve read lots of the different reasons why, some say too low of nitrates and truth be told who knows. Honestly, when I had some spots of it, I just do the H2O2 and it never came back. I also increased my tank maintenance and just never saw it again.

• Thanks 1

I will add that do your spot dosing just before lights out.   H2O2 is light sensitive.   Use only the 3% concentration.

My first BGA experience was just recently.  It was in the zero maintenance tank which gets top offs only.  As the area grew I noticed that gas bubbles were collecting under it, so I am suspecting poor substrate maint.   I don't have shrimp, but the pest snails were unaffected.  Spot dosing with fish hasn't been a problem.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 12:33 PM, JoeQ said:

poor maintenance and especially poor flow

I clean the tank once a week with about 10-20% water change. Since it's dirt stratum I can't vacuum like I would gravel or other substrate. As far as flow I have a sponge filter and a hang-on back filter that does create flow in the water column.

What I have just noticed is that the areas I'm seeing it appear tend to be the same areas where I sometimes drop in a gel food that sits on the bottom. The food gets eaten within the day and it does not sit for long.

Edited by schmofam

On 11/27/2023 at 2:40 PM, schmofam said:

I clean the tank once a week with about 10-20% water change. Since it's dirt stratum I can't vacuum like I would gravel or other substrate. As far as flow I have a sponge filter and a hang-on back filter that does create flow in the water column.

Your scape could have spots that block the flow. Most algae problems can be fixed by just focusing on water quality, filter maintenance, flow (turnover rate) & aeration. Also for what its worth deep substrate gravel vacuuming is one of the worst things you can do in a planted tank. This inhibits the growth of beneficial bacteria.  Plants also use the mulm (which you are vacuuming) as a food source once your eco system breaks it down enough for your plants to absorb. 

https://nilocg.com/blogs/news/algae-common-causes-and-solutions-for-different-types

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1