PSA: Solution to pollution is dilution

Brandy

Confession: I have been a little busy and a little lazy. As a result I have gotten behind on tank maintenance. I have kept up with water changes and feeding an that is about it. 

So last night, I decided to really clean up my largest (29g) tank. the glass was getting fuzzy, the canister filter floss was a schlocky mess, there was algae on the hardscape, and vallisneria was popping up in places it didn't belong, duckweed...you get the picture.

So I set to work, servicing the filter, scraping glass, pruning plants, changing water. I refilled the tank, and because of the algae on the hardscape, I added a dose of flourish excel, which I have been using intermittently, while I try to sort out the algae issues.

I noticed the fish seemed a little stressed, but I put it down to my activity in the tank, gave them a snack which they all eagerly ate, and went to bed.

This morning, I walked out to every single fish motionless and gasping. Shrimp I haven't seen in months were all out at the highest point on the vegetation, in the open, also largely motionless. Even the snails seemed to be in the upper third of the tank. 

I checked temperature and filter flow, and turned up the air stone. Nothing seemed amiss, and I cannot recall anything weird or new that I did during the water change. But clearly something was wrong, and even if my slightly aggressive cleaning had crashed the cycle (highly doubtful with the plants and wood crammed into the tank) it was too soon and too universal to be seeing these effects.

I immediately did a 30% water change, adding extra water conditioner in case of a chlorine shift in my source water. Literally in minutes, before I had even finished replacing the full amount of water, all fish started acting and breathing normally. 

I have no idea what was in the water. I don't know if there was something in the source water, or if I set a tool in some spilled household cleaner at some point, or if I had something on my hands. I may never know. But disaster averted. I feel lucky today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So happy you caught it. This is a story you hear so many times on the forum, everyone in the aquarium going down hill, often soon after a water change.

I always doubt it was a substance on the hands or some toxic cleaner that made it into the aquarium.

And yet... a water change with the same source water that I am betting was the 'source' of the problem fixed the problem by dilution. Paradoxical to say the least. Unless of course my assumptions are wrong.🙂

My area uses chloramine so when I do a large water change sometimes it can be really hard on the fish so I had to switch to more frequent smaller changes, I also need to double dose the prime, I am hoping once storm season is over they will reduce the amount of chloramine they are using, its such nasty stuff! very hard on the fish. 

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Confession: I have been a little busy and a little lazy. As a result I have gotten behind on tank maintenance. I have kept up with water changes and feeding an that is about it. 

So last night, I decided to really clean up my largest (29g) tank. the glass was getting fuzzy, the canister filter floss was a schlocky mess, there was algae on the hardscape, and vallisneria was popping up in places it didn't belong, duckweed...you get the picture.

So I set to work, servicing the filter, scraping glass, pruning plants, changing water. I refilled the tank, and because of the algae on the hardscape, I added a dose of flourish excel, which I have been using intermittently, while I try to sort out the algae issues.

I noticed the fish seemed a little stressed, but I put it down to my activity in the tank, gave them a snack which they all eagerly ate, and went to bed.

This morning, I walked out to every single fish motionless and gasping. Shrimp I haven't seen in months were all out at the highest point on the vegetation, in the open, also largely motionless. Even the snails seemed to be in the upper third of the tank. 

I checked temperature and filter flow, and turned up the air stone. Nothing seemed amiss, and I cannot recall anything weird or new that I did during the water change. But clearly something was wrong, and even if my slightly aggressive cleaning had crashed the cycle (highly doubtful with the plants and wood crammed into the tank) it was too soon and too universal to be seeing these effects.

I immediately did a 30% water change, adding extra water conditioner in case of a chlorine shift in my source water. Literally in minutes, before I had even finished replacing the full amount of water, all fish started acting and breathing normally. 

I have no idea what was in the water. I don't know if there was something in the source water, or if I set a tool in some spilled household cleaner at some point, or if I had something on my hands. I may never know. But disaster averted. I feel lucky today.

I've had something similar happen to one of my aquariums after a "typical" water change.  The fish were very lethargic and barely swimming.   

I use Seachem Prime or Fritz products for water conditioners.  It may not be totally correct, but I always double dose the tanks with water conditioner when performing my 75% water changes.  I don't want to cut it too close and have issues with the fish.  

Thanks for sharing your experiences.....

To my knowledge Seattle doesn't use chloramines? However, the way 2020 is going, I wouldn't even be surprised if they up and did something crazy without mentioning it. I was more suspicious of having hand sanitizer on me or something.

I usually use prime in the bucket with the new water and only add the amount to treat what I am changing before adding it to the tank. This morning I added the amount to treat the whole tank, so if there was extra chlorine/chloramine then it was covered. Given how FAST they responded I am inclined to think that is what happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brandy said:

To my knowledge Seattle doesn't use chloramines? However, the way 2020 is going, I wouldn't even be surprised if they up and did something crazy without mentioning it. I was more suspicious of having hand sanitizer on me or something.

I usually use prime in the bucket with the new water and only add the amount to treat what I am changing before adding it to the tank. This morning I added the amount to treat the whole tank, so if there was extra chlorine/chloramine then it was covered. Given how FAST they responded I am inclined to think that is what happened.

I am on well/ground water.  So I never really found out what was causing my tank's issue.  Was suspecting a particular heavy metal.   

• Like 1

RE: water conditioners... Is there any difference between them?  No ingredients listing on either of the two that I have, so I'm unable to compare.  One is API brand Tap Water Conditioner "super strength" and the other is Top Fin brand Betta Water Conditioner.  I received the latter from a friend who no longer needed it.  We have a goldfish, African dwarf frog, and two snails in our 20 gal tank.  Can I use the Betta water conditioner?  Thanks!

6 hours ago, JLAM said:

RE: water conditioners... Is there any difference between them?  No ingredients listing on either of the two that I have, so I'm unable to compare.  One is API brand Tap Water Conditioner "super strength" and the other is Top Fin brand Betta Water Conditioner.  I received the latter from a friend who no longer needed it.  We have a goldfish, African dwarf frog, and two snails in our 20 gal tank.  Can I use the Betta water conditioner?  Thanks!

API Tap Water Conditioner
Active ingredient: Sodium thiosulfate
Function: Dechlorinator. When added to water, it neutralizes the chlorine dissolved in it but is unable to neutralize ammonia.
Verdict: I would recommend discontinuing use IF your water source has chloramines in it.

Top Fin Betta Aquarium Water Conditioner
Active ingredient: EDTA, Potassium chloride, Sodium chloride, Sodium thiosulfate
Function: EDTA removes heavy metal ions. Both "chlorides" soften the water (though you may not notice if you have heavily buffered water). Sodium thiosulfate serves the same purpose as in the API conditioner.
Verdict: I would recommend discontinuing use IF your water source has chloramines in it.

Personally I don't like either of those products and would recommend switching to either Fritz Complete or Seachem Prime. I've used both and honestly like them both equally. The main reason I don't like the two that you've listed is because they're unable to bind ammonia molecules. If there is chloramine in your water source, I'd say that it's a must for you to have a water conditioner capable of neutralizing them. Even without chloramine in the source it's beneficial as it can neutralize ammonia (temporarily) from other sources. It's very helpful during ammonia spikes for this reason!

If you choose to keep using these, I would honestly say you can use them interchangeably as the most important active ingredient (Sodium thiosulfate) is the same in both. The only difference is the possibility of the betta conditioner softening your water, though I suspect that's more of a gimmick than an actual function. It's very common for "betta" products to be overpriced repackaged formulas that the company already produces (ex: Fluval's betta food is repackaged bug bites with a higher unit price).

This was a really fun dive so thank you for asking that question!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...