Are guppies really dumb or really brave...

Galabar

On 11/8/2023 at 6:57 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Honestly I lean towards dumb because usually when they're doing that with me I'm scooping out floating plants to toss in the water change bucket for discard. *palm to face*

I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I put chili rasboras, ember tetras, and kubotai rasboras back in the tank when I was netting out duckweed when I had an outbreak in my 100 G nanofish tank.  🤦🏻‍♀️. It’s not nearly as bad when I use a comb to get the duckweed out and I seem to finally have it under control in that tank, at least.  I still have it in 4 tanks, controlled and nearly gone in 2, still heavy in one, and still out of control in one because I will have to reset the tank for that one.  It’s all in the pearlweed in there which is so rampant it’s growing out the top and has consumed the HOB filter.  I also have a ton of susswassertang in that tank along with some mosses I’d like to rescue.  That’s actually going to be one of this week’s projects, hopefully.  I’m bracing myself for that one.  I’ve got to get plants out of a couple buckets before I can even start to tackle that tank.  Ugh.

I keep telling myself, “It’s only 10 gallons, it’s only 10 gallons, it’s only 10 gallons.”  And, “It can’t be that bad, it can’t be that bad.”  😝

It’s going to be even worse, I just know it.  😂 🤣 

Forgot to mention, the 2 worst tanks are FULL of guppies and fry.  🤦🏻‍♀️ 

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Haha 4

On 11/8/2023 at 5:08 PM, Odd Duck said:

keep telling myself, “It’s only 10 gallons, it’s only 10 gallons, it’s only 10 gallons.”  And, “It can’t be that bad, it can’t be that bad.”  😝

I'm with you entirely. I still have a small outbreak in the Medieval tank and spent about 20 minutes soley focused on removing what I could catch all the while acknowledging that even though I was doing this I wasn't going to get it all and therefore would be doing it all over again next week. 

And so not only do I have the guppy issue I also have the shrimp issue now. ugh. 

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2023 at 8:29 PM, Galabar said:

Maybe guppies have massive intellects that are simply being overridden by their even larger appetites? 😉

On 11/8/2023 at 11:15 PM, Scapexghost said:

I think they are just domesticated. Like a dog will run up to a human while a wolf would run away. Neither is smarter or braver they just have a different view of humans

I don't keep guppies, so I vote: overly curious.  I think you are both right.

The Big Hand in the Sky = food!   When I approach the small community tank, the fish scatter.  If I hold my hand over the tank, they assemble near the surface waiting for the food to drop. My TFBs will strike at my empty fingertips touching the water, and leave.  If I have food, my fingers are an obstacle to work around until the food scatters.  In the large community, the fish ignore me until the food arrives, but the angels will follow and strike at the food being sucked up in the gravel vac.

If a net appears everyone is gone.