Alternatives to a Glass tank?

Shea Loner

I have a guppy tank in a location that unfortunately the floor heaves and moves a bit throughout the year. Yes it is the only spot I have to place the tank. Yes the stand is solid. 2nd floor of a late 1800s house. This movement has caused me to loose 2 seperate 10gal standard glass tanks. The seals blow out at the bottom. I have had my guppies in a clear tote for the last 6 months or so and would like to find something better to put them in. The tote is starting to bow out on the ends, will need to add additional support. 

Would a plastic or acrylic tank work here? I do have access to a good old slate bottom metal framed tank. But I really don't want to risk it in this location.

I might look into some sort of pad that would absorb the movement, that's the only thing I can think of. I would maybe ask at a hardware store for something that could be cut to size. There may be other ideas floating around out there. Thankfully it's a 10 gallon and not something bigger. I wonder if you got a column tank which has a smaller footprint in a similar size if that would be less likely to move about there. 

I might also look into, since it's a smaller tank, some sort of other glass container with no seams. I'm not sure you can get 10 gallons but you never know. Maybe a catering supply? The only caveat to that is that most of that kind of glass would be a lot more fragile than a fish tank so you'd have to be sure about what kind of glass you were getting.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

I would set the tank on something called armorflex insulation.  I don't necessarily know where a person would get it, I get it from the plumbing and heating shop where I work.  It's used as insulation on piping and ductwork.  About an inch and a half thick, black, very dense insulation.  I set tanks on it a lot

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 5:11 PM, Ben P. said:

I would set the tank on something called armorflex insulation.  I don't necessarily know where a person would get it, I get it from the plumbing and heating shop where I work.  It's used as insulation on piping and ductwork.  About an inch and a half thick, black, very dense insulation.  I set tanks on it a lot

Anychance you have a picture of it?