Dwarf Cichlid that doesn't hang around the bottom

Skittz

I have 46g bowfront with a lot of bottom dwellers and a small school of gold barbs, I'm wanting to add nice center piece to stand out preferably a cichlid (nothing too big) and the only dwarf cichlids I can fine like to be at the bottom which is already pretty full. any recommendations? (already thought of a dwarf gourami but I'm not really feeling it) (Germen Blue rams need the water too warm)

Stocking is 1-yoyo loach, 1-Raindbow shark, 1-synodontis ansprgii or synodontis eupterus (not sure which), 1-Synodontis lucipinnis,                       1-bristlenose pleco, and 8-gold barbs 

not what you ask but yoyo is one of the species that it is really important to keep in a group; having said that your tank is not large for a group of 5 as they require a fair amount of horizontal space for swimming.

As for dwarf cicihld most will spend a fair amount of time near the bottom; though a few will be more mid range at times during the day - even rams spend a lot of time near the bottom. keyholes and laetacara (a genus of which i recommend thayeri, araguaiae (more colourful) and curviceps). If keyhole you need to get at least 4 - the others i'd also recommend 4ish but it is not as critical. None of them are easy to sex while young if that matters. araguaiae are not tiny fishes - and the ones i had and a friend had were both larger than what most places claim - a hefty 4+ is what you should expect from males - females are smaller. in the community environment keyholes are really a good option as they are very peaceful and friendly fishes - the laetacara are more aggressive (not aggressive by aggressive standards) and much more assertive. 

• Like 1

Festivums are generally very peaceful cichlids, seem content as solos, and are much more top water to mid water.  Striking angled black stripe and some varieties come in soft or deeper colors.  Not crazy bright colors, but not only the “normal” white.  They only get to about 4”-6” usually (some say males get to 8” but I’ve never seen one even close to that big).  They are peaceful enough to keep with much smaller fish since they also have a fairly small mouth.  One would be a very striking centerpiece fish in a 46 G.  I have a pair and the larger female bullies the smaller male even though he was rehomed for bullying the previous owners angels.  He bullies no one nowand she only bullies him, although she has become the tank boss over the extremely wimpy 9” and 10” Jack Dempsey pair.  She doesn’t bully them at all, she just doesn’t give ground if they try to push her away.  They’re both visible in this picture - him on the left, her on the right above the silver dollars.  Ignore the BBA on the lucky bamboo, I do.  😝 I should get an SAE for this tank.  😂 

IMG_5247.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Love 3

I said all this about my festivums just yesterday and today she bit me on the arm 3 times while I was cleaning the tank!  More startling than anything else.  It left no mark whatsoever, but she’s such a stinker!  Festivums are usually so peaceful but they’re still cichlids and she’s sassy!

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2023 at 10:39 PM, Odd Duck said:

Festivums are generally very peaceful cichlids, seem content as solos, and are much more top water to mid water.  Striking angled black stripe and some varieties come in soft or deeper colors.  Not crazy bright colors, but not only the “normal” white.  They only get to about 4”-6” usually (some say males get to 8” but I’ve never seen one even close to that big).  They are peaceful enough to keep with much smaller fish since they also have a fairly small mouth.  One would be a very striking centerpiece fish in a 46 G.  I have a pair and the larger female bullies the smaller male even though he was rehomed for bullying the previous owners angels.  He bullies no one nowand she only bullies him, although she has become the tank boss over the extremely wimpy 9” and 10” Jack Dempsey pair.  She doesn’t bully them at all, she just doesn’t give ground if they try to push her away.  They’re both visible in this picture - him on the left, her on the right above the silver dollars.  Ignore the BBA on the lucky bamboo, I do.  😝 I should get an SAE for this tank.  😂 

IMG_5247.jpeg

My males are 7 or 8 inches and very bulky and assertive - the females are smaller - maybe 4 but i havent' measure with a ruler. The problem is that these fishes are not passive like keyholes and i woudln't put them in the tank described above both because they are too large and too assertive. They will eat serpae tetra - my smaller females loves to catch them then rip them apart (like a hawk ripping apart a chipmunk) and then slowly eat them. i had them in a 120 and it was problematic now they are in the 550 and they are better behaved but they eat a lot. Mine were wild caught peru if that matters.

On 11/1/2023 at 10:15 AM, anewbie said:

not what you ask but yoyo is one of the species that it is really important to keep in a group; having said that your tank is not large for a group of 5 as they require a fair amount of horizontal space for swimming.

As for dwarf cicihld most will spend a fair amount of time near the bottom; though a few will be more mid range at times during the day - even rams spend a lot of time near the bottom. keyholes and laetacara (a genus of which i recommend thayeri, araguaiae (more colourful) and curviceps). If keyhole you need to get at least 4 - the others i'd also recommend 4ish but it is not as critical. None of them are easy to sex while young if that matters. araguaiae are not tiny fishes - and the ones i had and a friend had were both larger than what most places claim - a hefty 4+ is what you should expect from males - females are smaller. in the community environment keyholes are really a good option as they are very peaceful and friendly fishes - the laetacara are more aggressive (not aggressive by aggressive standards) and much more assertive. 

Thank you for the info I'm not sure why I thought you could keep just one as a quick google search shows they need a group, I'll be looking to rehome him soon 

On 11/4/2023 at 6:08 PM, anewbie said:

My males are 7 or 8 inches and very bulky and assertive - the females are smaller - maybe 4 but i havent' measure with a ruler. The problem is that these fishes are not passive like keyholes and i woudln't put them in the tank described above both because they are too large and too assertive. They will eat serpae tetra - my smaller females loves to catch them then rip them apart (like a hawk ripping apart a chipmunk) and then slowly eat them. i had them in a 120 and it was problematic now they are in the 550 and they are better behaved but they eat a lot. Mine were wild caught peru if that matters.

Wow!  Those are massive for festivums!  I’ve read they can get that big but never seen one that big, so good job growing them up!  I know they can stinkers to each other but wouldn’t have thought they would be that aggressive towards other species.  Should have known they’re still cichlids.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

On 11/8/2023 at 2:30 PM, Odd Duck said:

Wow!  Those are massive for festivums!  I’ve read they can get that big but never seen one that big, so good job growing them up!  I know they can stinkers to each other but wouldn’t have thought they would be that aggressive towards other species.  Should have known they’re still cichlids.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

My mistake; i measured the largest male and it is closer to 6 1/2 inch front to back fin; but it is only about 18 months old (well i've had it for 18 months; probably closer to 24 months old); so they have time to grow larger. The thing is they are not like angles - they are big heavy fishes. Thinking about putting a pair of chocolate cicihld in there with them but undecided - they are bigger of course. They were cramped in a 120 but now i have them in the 550 with a lovely pair of angels and a bunch of loaches - mostly clown. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 4:28 PM, anewbie said:

My mistake; i measured the largest male and it is closer to 6 1/2 inch front to back fin; but it is only about 18 months old (well i've had it for 18 months; probably closer to 24 months old); so they have time to grow larger. The thing is they are not like angles - they are big heavy fishes. Thinking about putting a pair of chocolate cicihld in there with them but undecided - they are bigger of course. They were cramped in a 120 but now i have them in the 550 with a lovely pair of angels and a bunch of loaches - mostly clown. 

Do you have some pics?

Ok. Just took these - not great but whatever:

male angel:

odd3.jpg.16032a5ac7e9b6c35c66a34ff3d6609b.jpg

female angel:

odd1.jpg.dc2a385bd0ac0fc201b701a903c1d1e6.jpg

They are a pair but the festum always eat their eggs; so of course egg eating festum (I have 7; i think 2 female 3 male and 2 undecided):

odd2.jpg.f485fc6ffe559dd5b1c13fb310b428e7.jpg

It is really hard to get great pictures with this large aquarium because the glass is so thick.

• Love 3