best plant to hang on a tank with just roots?

• 2 weeks later...

My best growing pothos get sunlight.  It takes me about 30-45 minutes about every 3 months to hack back this jungle.  The vines do exactly what I wanted them to do and more.  The goal was for them to hang over the back of the tank to shade it to prevent overheating the tank and reduce algae along with pulling nitrates out of the water.  They do all that plus climb the window, climb the wall, crawl across the floor, etc, etc.  I worry they might start asking for Seymour, soon.

IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_0167.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 4

Cats almost never eat enough to get significantly ill.  They don’t taste good but they can cause mild GI upset and potentially oral irritation from the oxalates.  I’ve never once had to treat a cat for eating pothos in almost 30 years.  I’ve even had to treat a couple cats for eating chocolate which is very rare.  None for the “potential kidney issues” you’ll read about from eating pothos.  My cats mess with them sometimes, they’ve tasted them, but they don’t eat them.

I’ll never say there’s never been a cat treated for ingesting pothos, somebody’s always going to break the rules.  😆  Because, well, . . . cats.  But I’ve never seen anything other than 1-2 vomits and done.  We get the phone calls, but most owners don’t elect to bring them in because the symptoms don’t last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 10:10 PM, Odd Duck said:

Cats almost never eat enough to get significantly ill.  They don’t taste good but they can cause mild GI upset and potentially oral irritation from the oxalates.  I’ve never once had to treat a cat for eating pothos in almost 30 years.  I’ve even had to treat a couple cats for eating chocolate which is very rare.  None for the “potential kidney issues” you’ll read about from eating pothos.  My cats mess with them sometimes, they’ve tasted them, but they don’t eat them.

I’ll never say there’s never been a cat treated for ingesting pothos, somebody’s always going to break the rules.  😆  Because, well, . . . cats.  But I’ve never seen anything other than 1-2 vomits and done.  We get the phone calls, but most owners don’t elect to bring them in because the symptoms don’t last.

My cat is a goober and will chop on ANY plant and throw up 3 seconds later. Hosta, spider plant, you name it. Best way I have found to combat it, cat grass. When she has something that she is allowed to eat, she ignores it, and everything else...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I had a cat that I constantly had to keep away from my houseplants, I put up barricades, cages, hung them high, he still managed to get them... he became progressively more ill and never recovered.  I would n't take the chance.  I can only now have my houseplants in the open as my final cat doesn't have any interest in them.  

On 11/5/2023 at 7:38 PM, Opie said:

Peace Lilly. 
I put one in to see what it would do. Nothing for a few weeks, then root explosion. It sucked out all of my nitrates though. I had some plants that suffers for that. 

It can be a trick to balance enough fertilizer for your aquatic plants vs excessive growth and stealing nutrients by the emerse plants.