Love/hate pogostem stellatus

On 10/10/2023 at 12:19 PM, MattyM said:

pre-filter intake sponge? 

Yes I make pre-filter sponges from that wonderful open weave foam from Cory.  Those are what get plugged up with leaves.  As I was cleaning tanks yesterday and pondering input from your comments it dawned on me I should make them bigger so less prone to getting plugged.  I hadn't though about boisterous fish so I'll keep that in mind.  As to deficiencies...maybe.  Plants are growing well but that doesn't mean some factor isn't missing.   Thanks to all for the replies.  I've got some things to explore. 

On 10/10/2023 at 5:15 AM, reefhugger said:

I love the enthusiasm pogostemon stellatus has for creating a fast growing, dense, nitrate-eating mass

My PSO's enthusiasm waned after week one when it rooted itself into the substrate before I got it out of the pot.  That was two years ago.

Today, it is dying off and dropping leaves in the project tank where it grows best. The only significant change is the increase in floating Elodea and Duckweed  blocking part of the light.

On 10/11/2023 at 9:44 AM, Tanked said:

My PSO's enthusiasm waned after week one when it rooted itself into the substrate before I got it out of the pot.  That was two years ago.

Today, it is dying off and dropping leaves in the project tank where it grows best. The only significant change is the increase in floating Elodea and Duckweed  blocking part of the light.

Elodea and Duckweed both are nutrient hogs, lol. They’ve ganged up and decided to starve off the PSO!

On 10/10/2023 at 2:15 AM, reefhugger said:

I love the enthusiasm pogostemon stellatus has for creating a fast growing, dense, nitrate-eating mass.  I hate the filter intake clogging effect of the detached leaves.  Is there an alternative that has the benefits but is less inclined to shed leaves?    

I would use more of a traditional stem.  Bacopa caroliniana is a pretty solid one.  Pearlweed, even something like val can fit that role pretty well.  PSO is a massive plant.  Something like the normal pogostemon or dassen coloration should give you a similar affect without the size of the plant being as much of an issue.  pogostemon erectus is another good sized one.

Hydrocotyle species also work. (and make a pretty beautiful carpet)

My go-to fast growing plant is honestly just moss though.

On 10/11/2023 at 9:44 AM, Tanked said:

Mine grows like a weed but it does seem to drop lots of leaves.  I'm forever skimming them off the surface and those that sink inevitably wind up on the intake filter.   Sadly its the plant that grows best in my tanks, and I do appreciate it keeping the water healthy.  I'm going to try some suggestions from this thread find something else that will grow with enthusiasm.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 11:23 AM, FLFishChik said:

Elodea and Duckweed both are nutrient hogs, lol. They’ve ganged up and decided to starve off the PSO!

The must be consuming everything but the Nitrates.  With the exception of the light, The 10 gallon tank has been: near zero maintenence, zero tech, for two or more years..  Right now it is a mess.  It has some interesting Algae, and the substrate is off gassing.

10 ALgae.jpg